How many owners have had their dometic A/C replaced recently due to failure?

HooDad

I'm getting ready to have my second A/C replaced due to not cooling. Is there a known problem that should require a recall? If you only use your RV a few weeks a year you may not experience this problem for several years then it will be too late to have the A/C's replaced due to being out of warranty.

danemayer

Hi HooDad,

A number of people have posted about their Dometic Air Conditioners leaking freon which requires replacement of the unit. A few more than once. Reportedly, Dometic moved manufacturing to a new location and the tubing quality suffered. From what we've seen here, they have corrected the problem, but as you say, there may be units like yours that are just now failing.

I believe Dometic has a 2 year warranty on the A/C unit, and if you're past that, I'd suggest calling Dometic Customer Service to discuss how they might help.

Recalls are usually for safety issues. So I wouldn't expect a recall notice on this issue.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm on our 5th since we picked up the LM in April 2014. Dometic has replaced with no questions asked.

Dennyha

Our Cyclone is only a year old, and we've had both of our Dometic air conditioners replaced under warranty.

Bobby A

Not trying to highjack this thread but I'm having to replace my Dometic Awning motor, it only lasted less than a year and a half. Anyone know why these things fail ??

GOTTOYS

I'm getting ready to have my second A/C replaced due to not cooling. Is there a known problem that should require a recall? If you only use your RV a few weeks a year you may not experience this problem for several years then it will be too late to have the A/C's replaced due to being out of warranty.
Recalls aren't usually done unless there is a safety hazard of some type...from what I've seen the A/Cs just quit but don't start on fire or anything..Don

camr

Our Dometic bedroom heat pump died after less than 3 hours of operation. Cause was a defective seized compressor. The service tech commented that he has replaced several, and the most common cause, in his experience, was defective, thin walled tubing.
I feel better with the 2 year warranty.
Our previous coach had Carrier units, which worked flawlessly. Sadly, they are no longer in the RV HVAC space.

TX_Clay

We had the rear AC on your 2015 Cyclone replaced less than 6 months after we bought it. Worked one day, next day, fired it up. No cool. Had a leak in the tubing. Been almost a year now since it was replaced. Hoping things keep working and I don't have to do that again. BTW, took it to an authorized Dometic dealer (happened to be a horse trailer manufacture and repair shop) In one day and back out the next. Dealer was telling me 4 weeks.

Last edited:

busted2341

I guess your lucky because mine lasted 1 day. My coach was built in March of 16 and I took possession on May 1, 2016. May 2, 2016 the awning no longer worked. Motor went bad.

MCTalley

Add us to the list. 2015 Big Country with an October, 2014 build date. Rear unit is blowing room temperature air. Unfortunately, there are no mobile repair techs in the area. Fortunately, there are in Panama City, where we will be next (in a couple weeks). Also, we're on a very shady site and the front A/C is keeping up fine.

We're just seven months into the one year Heartland warranty, so we should be good.

Chippendale

My rear unit seems to cool OK but when it gets down to the set temp, it cuts off and then in about 2 or 3 seconds cuts back on. Then, it just keeps cutting on and off. I thought it was the thermostat, but the service writer says he thinks it is the AC unit itself. Going in on the 26th under the extended warranty, so I guess we will find out.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I guess your lucky because mine lasted 1 day. My coach was built in March of 16 and I took possession on May 1, 2016. May 2, 2016 the awning no longer worked. Motor went bad.
I'm guessing you meant "...built in March 15 and took possession on May 1, 2015..." since today's date is April 19, 2016

avvidclif

My rear unit seems to cool OK but when it gets down to the set temp, it cuts off and then in about 2 or 3 seconds cuts back on. Then, it just keeps cutting on and off. I thought it was the thermostat, but the service writer says he thinks it is the AC unit itself. Going in on the 26th under the extended warranty, so I guess we will find out.

I had a bedroom unit doing that. It seems some genius had installed the bedroom temp sensor where the A/C would blow directly on it. Naturally it cooled faster than the room and then the A/C shut down. Without the cold air the sensor warmed up and started the cycle again. I moved the sensor and covered it with foam so that the blown air from the A/C couldn't get to it, only the room air. Once I did that all was well.

We had this same problem also on 1st day after we left dealer. Turns out that Dometic had A/C's made in China that are going bad all over. Ours was the connection that looks like a phone connection. It was setting in water and had rusted out. Now both work but doesn't cook very well. Also they are VERY LOUD.

Westwind

Should your warranty expire and you have to pay the cost of a new AC consider an Atwood Air Command, a friend who is a retired executive of the RV industry just replace his 2 year old AC with a Atwood Air Command unit. I was inside of the trailer numerous times this past snowbird season and that AC unit made half or less noise then my Dometic unit that was OEM on my Bighorn. Everyone commented on how quiet the unit was. If you look into it you will see that there is a change to the design of the unit which originated in Australia.
If I had money to burn I would yank my unit out and replace it so I wouldn't have to listen to the racket it makes. I have Pulled the shroud on it and checked it to see if there was a reason it was so noisy but it's just the design of the beast.

Chippendale

Should your warranty expire and you have to pay the cost of a new AC consider an Atwood Air Command, a friend who is a retired executive of the RV industry just replace his 2 year old AC with a Atwood Air Command unit. I was inside of the trailer numerous times this past snowbird season and that AC unit made half or less noise then my Dometic unit that was OEM on my Bighorn. Everyone commented on how quiet the unit was. If you look into it you will see that there is a change to the design of the unit which originated in Australia.
If I had money to burn I would yank my unit out and replace it so I wouldn't have to listen to the racket it makes. I have Pulled the shroud on it and checked it to see if there was a reason it was so noisy but it's just the design of the beast.

[FONT=&quot]If anyone is interested, looks like PPL is having a heck of a sale on Atwood air conditioners until 4/29/2016.[/FONT]

MP_CS

Replaced my dometic unit shortly after purchasing. All was covered under warranty. Same issue as OP. Havent tried it since i took it out of storage, hoping it works again.

Pirana

Wao...I guess I'll be joining since my front unit is making loud noise. Pretty sad since replacing could take months waiting for an appointment! Had a Coleman for 7 years and zero problems.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Add us to the list. New rig (Jan 2016 build) and the circuit board is being replaced. Hopefully, that fixes it. We'll find out Friday when it is installed. It also blew warm air. Mobile tech said connections were all rusted, he cleaned but that didn't fix it.