How many owners have had their dometic A/C replaced recently due to failure?

avvidclif

George did you ever get it figured out? My main unit has decided to do the same thing. It will get down to set temp and turn off for 2-3 seconds and then back on. It hasn't been doing this until today....GRRR

Chippendale

George did you ever get it figured out? My main unit has decided to do the same thing. It will get down to set temp and turn off for 2-3 seconds and then back on. It hasn't been doing this until today....GRRR

This past weekend, mine started working normally, so I did not take it in. I think it has something to do with the outside heat. I told the service writer I will be in it for about 2 or 3 weeks down in the Uvalde/Kerrville area as the weather gets hotter and I will try and record how it is acting at different times of the day. Maybe that will show some sort of pattern. Will post my findings.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For anyone having issues of them dying, did you happen to get a picture of the serial number tag on the unit? I was up checking for hail damage (none), and ours say assembled in the USA, and have a 2015 year but no date.

MCTalley

For anyone having issues of them dying, did you happen to get a picture of the serial number tag on the unit? I was up checking for hail damage (none), and ours say assembled in the USA, and have a 2015 year but no date.

I will post ours if they decide it needs to be replaced. Would be interesting to see if we can spot a trend.

porthole

Retired
Well after 6 full seasons our main unit went out last October.
New one on the way ............

Last edited:

woodworm

I've had both a/c's break. One replaced under warranty because of refrigerant leak and the other I fixed by replacing the burnt out compressor start capacitor. It's difficult to get a mobile authorized mechanic to do warranty work especially on dometic products. Both a/c's lasted one summer season. I've been told these models# 541816a711C0 have a high failure rate and the new eco friendly r410a refrigerant doesn't work well. Parts come from Asia. After some additional research, Dometic has removed all advertising and info from their site. Even parts and manuals. It's like this model never existed! Every one stuck with this model used in 2013-14-15 can get prepared for a costly replacements! What a lemon!

Attachments

• dometic ac.JPG
    dometic ac.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 83
  • dometic ac2.JPG
    dometic ac2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

SNOKING

I guess your lucky because mine lasted 1 day. My coach was built in March of 16 and I took possession on May 1, 2016. May 2, 2016 the awning no longer worked. Motor went bad.

Maybe you meant 2015??? Your dates do not line up! How did you post 3 weeks ago that it failed n May 1st?? Chris

MCTalley

Mobile tech looked at ours yesterday, then did a amp draw test on it. When the compressor was running, it was only drawing 9-10 amps. He said that means that the freon has leaked out since a compressor having to compress freon would draw 12-13 amps (or more). He had the replacement approved and has one in stock. Will be bringing it by today or tomorrow for installation.

I can't see a date of manufacture on ours. However, our rig rolled off the assembly line in October, 2014, so it's not any newer than that.

justafordguy

We are on our 4th dometic AC on our 1 year old Gateway. Only the main unit is failing not the bedroom unit but it's 13.5k not 15k like the main unit. When we called for the last replacement 4 months ago they claimed the have finally fixed the problem. I purchased an extended warranty on both units just in case.

RottsNScotts

Bought myn Cyclone in August, 2015 new but was not IN it until Dec. Found at first use a couple of weeks ago thar living room Dometic a/c not working. It is being replaced this week.

Garage didn't work for me either but dealer says it is working fine now; we'll see.

danemayer

Bought myn Cyclone in August, 2015 new but was not IN it until Dec. Found at first use a couple of weeks ago thar living room Dometic a/c not working. It is being replaced this week.

Garage didn't work for me either but dealer says it is working fine now; we'll see.

If you have 3 A/C units in the Cyclone, you can run only 2 at the same time. Which 2 run is controlled by a switch.

RottsNScotts

If you have 3 A/C units in the Cyclone, you can run only 2 at the same time. Which 2 run is controlled by a switch.

Yes, I know. One can run the garage and either the bedroom or the living room at a time.

I was trying to run the garage by itself when I was rearranging stuff on the new shelving when it did not work for me. Maybe there is yet another trick to doing that!

woodworm

Should your warranty expire and you have to pay the cost of a new AC consider an Atwood Air Command, a friend who is a retired executive of the RV industry just replace his 2 year old AC with a Atwood Air Command unit. I was inside of the trailer numerous times this past snowbird season and that AC unit made half or less noise then my Dometic unit that was OEM on my Bighorn. Everyone commented on how quiet the unit was. If you look into it you will see that there is a change to the design of the unit which originated in Australia.
If I had money to burn I would yank my unit out and replace it so I wouldn't have to listen to the racket it makes. I have Pulled the shroud on it and checked it to see if there was a reason it was so noisy but it's just the design of the beast.
Domestic owns Atwood.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgleadle

We have had ours replaced 2 times now. (every year) We have the extended warranty thankfully! It is very loud. At some point we will have to replace ourselves. Hope to upgrade to something quieter.

HooDad

Hi HooDad,

A number of people have posted about their Dometic Air Conditioners leaking freon which requires replacement of the unit. A few more than once. Reportedly, Dometic moved manufacturing to a new location and the tubing quality suffered. From what we've seen here, they have corrected the problem, but as you say, there may be units like yours that are just now failing.

I believe Dometic has a 2 year warranty on the A/C unit, and if you're past that, I'd suggest calling Dometic Customer Service to discuss how they might help.

Recalls are usually for safety issues. So I wouldn't expect a recall notice on this issue.

I did not use the correct word "recall" but Dometic is obviously continuing to sell air conditioners that are failing in short time. If they've corrected the problem as you say then they must be trying to get rid of the junk units on unsuspecting consumers. I had to have my third unit replaced last week. Also, where I'm currently staying, I was the third camper having their dometic unit replaced that day. One fellow camper was on their eighth replacement! Unbelievable.
Oh, by the way, Dometic told me that the 2 year warranty ends 2 years after the original purchase date. The warranty does not continue with the replacements. However, they said they would replace the failed unit this time at no charge.

DirtyMax88

Knock on wood, we have not had any problems with ours, and we are going on a 3rd camping season (built in feb/march 2015, took delivery in May 2015). I feel we use them alot too. I guess it's only a matter of time with everything I have been reading. Wondering if i can get it in and just have both ours replaced before our 2 year warranty is up. Any early warning signs? Seems they were just a bad batch of units....

Cage427

If you have an original Dometic AC (my Landmark Key Largo has 2 A/Cs but only one is not putting out) and replace with an Atwood can you replace just one or do you have to replace both at the same time and do you have to replace the thermostat controls?

danemayer

If you have an original Dometic AC (my Landmark Key Largo has 2 A/Cs but only one is not putting out) and replace with an Atwood can you replace just one or do you have to replace both at the same time and do you have to replace the thermostat controls?
I think your Landmark A/C unit was designed to work with your duct system. I doubt you could put an Atwood in its place and expect it to work well. And Dometic uses a proprietary thermostat control system.

I'm getting ready to have my second A/C replaced due to not cooling. Is there a known problem that should require a recall? If you only use your RV a few weeks a year you may not experience this problem for several years then it will be too late to have the A/C's replaced due to being out of warranty.

I had to have the living room unit replaced last summer under warrenty acct. leaking freon.