how many warranty claims have you had? just total numbers please

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That's great Jim, I wish we could say the same.

The question was how many warranty claims have you had not how many problems have you had. I have taken care of several issues myself without filing a warranty claim. Sometimes it faster and easier to take care of it yourself. Like my Dad used to tell me ... if you want it done right then do it yourself.

Hunter11

9 warranty claims. I cannot tell you how many items I have fixed myself to avoid the hassles. The items we have had to have warrantied are not items repaired by myself (roof and decking replaced due to delam of decking, 3 slide out seals replaced, bedroom slide out exterior siding replaced due to delam, bed removed and flooring repaired to fix flexing and squeaking, large slide out fascia popped off) to name a few of the major items. Heartland has sent me parts to replace on some items which I have done myself and I am not counting any of that. I have always said on any of my post about our unit that Heartland has covered everything under warranty but enough is enough. I have not bashed Heartland on any public RV forum or web site as a lot of people would have done in this situation but I have come close on many occasions. For the money we paid for this unit we expected better workmanship but it didn't work out for us.

Crumgater

0... but we did drop it off at the dealer in the first year for a new closet door hinge and some cabinet work...that's all I remember having done, anyway. They also had to replace a wheel rim the first week... it was delivered to the dealer with a cracked rim (?!?!). That made me worry about the wear & tear of the delivery process (i.e. how many curbs did the driver take our rig over, and at what speeds??)... but... nothing major to date (knock on wood).

We do fix all the little stuff ourselves. The cabinet door hinges have been goofy, for sure. We've also broken the glass inserts - one just cracked while driving, another one when I closed the cabinet too hard and it snapped. We'll be replacing them with polycarbonite inserts - lighter and more durable.

pegmikef

2 One was for the bedroom A/C that I had installed after I bought my BH and the other was for a rubber seal strip for one of the slides and Heartland sent me the strip and I installed it myself. I do all the minor repairs myself or with the help of other Heartlanders.

jnbhobe

I can't remember any thing I took it back for under warranty. I have had the frame flex fixed twice. I took delivery in April 2008.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
a) 2 Heartland warranty claims (slide seals and inverter for residential refrig.) in under 24 months that we had the unit
b) about 5 that the dealership found before we initially picked the unit up in 2014 (thank goodness they found them before papers were signed)
c) 3 claims to Dometic for a/c's going out (not to Heartland)

WBG

WBGavin
We had only 3 on our 2014 Bighorn 3570 RS.

A valve in the 6 point Leveling system had to be replaced and both Dometic Air Conditioners failed.

Inconvenient, but not all that bad.

WBG

Geodude

One big one, but ongoing for about four months. Items included:

- fix broken shock
- replace bedroom door frame
- replace board for remote control system
- replace 50A breaker for hydraulic system with an 80A breaker
- replace baggage door due to leaking
- repair fresh water tank that pretty much fell out
- repair replacement tank that was leaking
- repair shoddy assembly (glue) on black tank outlet that resulted in dripping
- replace faulty LED running light

The frustrating part of this is that there seemed to be issues with Heartland shipping the wrong parts to the dealer or the parts being really slow to get to them. Quality wise, we had a 2012 Greystone that was really good. Well, other than one biggie, frame flex, that Heartland kindly took care of. We were so happy with it and how Heartland treated us that we stayed with them and bought a Bighorn. The Bighorn, hopefully, is just gong through growing pains.

gasman

Camp Socializer
No issues on our last Big Country. 2 issues on this one. Both were handled quickly by the factory and our dealer.

Rhyph

34 issues, not all of which have been fully resolved and spread out over multiple claims as detailed in our ownership story.

wehavefun

I forgot to add, in the same period of time that I have owned Heartland units, I completely gutted my house, lived in 5th for the summer, built a new 60 x 100 shop, and a retail store. I did spend more money on these bricks and sticks places, but I have had 20 times more issues with contractors and items, fridges, freezers, televisions cash register, the list goes on and on. My point is I don't care who builds it, or where it it built, you will have a few issues. Heck none of these units get dragged thousands of miles per year and still have more issues than my 5th wheels.

THANK YOU HEARTLAND !

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Not sure if you can call it a warranty claim but we did return the rig to the Heartland dealer for a couple of fixes they/I missed during the PDI and I also submitted a claim to Suburban for a new furnace board just prior to the 2 yr expiration.
Other little things I handled myself ie: I can glue a hinge back on and I fixed my own BR sink stopper...Just saying.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We are in our third HL product in 9 yrs. We had 2 or 3 on the first one, but one of those was caused by the delivery process. We had a couple with the second one bit the sat. Problem was not HL, it was the installer at the dealership. This one is just a year old and we had a cracked toilet, which HL shipped a replacement to our home for and Mark took 15 minutes to switch it out. Pretty good for 9 years and three rigs.

Mark has made lots of modifications and fixed a few minor things you would expect to have to maintain anyway.

Kristy

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stopped at a rest area near Pueblo, CO yesterday on our way to the AZ HOC Rodeo Tucson Rally to grab a sandwich and check stuff on the trailer and while checking the tires I looked under the trailer and low and behold, a big patch of coroplast that our dealership used to cover (hide) a hatchet job they did to get to the furnace duct work to fix under warranty had blown off.

Luckily, it was basically folded in half and was stuck around the front axle on the fold so it didn't blow off and hit somebody behind us.

I have the piece roped down in the back of the truck.

Here is a before and after shot:

ProwlerCoroplastRepair-P1010536.jpg ProwlerCoroplastOnGround-P1010575.jpg

The first shot is actually the other big patch at the rear of the trailer just like the one that blew blew off that is still holding . . . for now!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like they just tried to screw it to the old Coroplast. That will never hold.
I suggest that you get a couple pieces of 1x2 to use as a backer to screw the old and new into. Then tape the seams with Gorilla Tape.
Lousy repair job, IMHO.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

We stopped at a rest area near Pueblo, CO yesterday on our way to the AZ HOC Tucson Rally to grab a sandwich and check stuff onb the trailer and while checking the tires I looked under the trailer and low and behold, a big patch of coroplast that our dealership used to cover (hide) a hatchet job they did to get to the furnace duct work to fix under warranty had blown off.

Luckily, it was basically folded in half and was stuck around the front axle on the fold so it didn't blow off and hit somebody behind us.

I have the piece roped down in the back of the truck.

Here is a before and after shot:

View attachment 43019 View attachment 43020

The first shot is actually the other big patch at the rear of the trailer just like the one that blew blew off that is still holding . . . for now!

Looks like they just ran screws into the original coroplast. The airflow under the trailer creates a lot of suction. When you put it back, the leading edge needs to be much more secure.