How safe are these RV fridges?

jimtoo

It appears that some posts have been removed from this thread. Is my memory failing me? They were about a plan to escape our RVs should there ever be a fire while we are in them.

We do not remove post unless it is flaming, derogatory, or has bad language, threating legal action or what we consider unnecessary to the forum.

You need to check to see where you posted almost the same questions, I almost deleted it because it was almost the same. Posting the same question in different threads is a not allowed. Just so you will know, the other thread is located here.

Jim M

Don't know the all the details, but when we returned to the camp ground last week, the fire department was here and pulling hose. Seems a beautiful class A was on fire and the
the cause was the refrigerator. They were not at home and a neighbor got the door open and got the cats out. Didn't seem to be alot of structual damage but there sure
was alot of smoke.

Rodney_M

whether it be refrigerators, or stoves, or the heater or even the electrical, there is always a risk even in your home, but we cant let these things prevent us from doing what we enjoy.. can a refrigerator malfunction? sure it can, but I have used them over the years in 5 different RV's myself so far and never a problem, but if you look hard enough you will find where pretty much every component on an rv has malfunctioned at some point in time..

we simply have to prepare the best we can and deal with these issues when they arise. always do pre-trip inspections/ tests before heading out on trips whether it be a short one within a 100 miles or the cross country trips.. also keep up on the maintenance.. you can easily test propane for leaks also easily enough on your own with soapy water or with an electronic tester.

We also travel typically with good friends,I trust them to have a key to our rig, and in the event we are away they would be able to quickly gain access if our pets were locked inside and needed to get them out quickly... hopefully they would be able to respond quickly if anything ever happened or vice-versa if they happened to leave for a while and we were still in the cg.. they are also well acquainted with our pets so that they would easily go to them in event of a fire etc.

RanCarr

Don't know the all the details, but when we returned to the camp ground last week, the fire department was here and pulling hose. Seems a beautiful class A was on fire and the
the cause was the refrigerator. They were not at home and a neighbor got the door open and got the cats out. Didn't seem to be alot of structual damage but there sure
was alot of smoke.

It was a fridge that caused the fire in the NY CG also. We checked our Fridge and it's not on the recall list. That was a relief.

RanCarr

whether it be refrigerators, or stoves, or the heater or even the electrical, there is always a risk even in your home, but we cant let these things prevent us from doing what we enjoy.. can a refrigerator malfunction? sure it can, but I have used them over the years in 5 different RV's myself so far and never a problem, but if you look hard enough you will find where pretty much every component on an rv has malfunctioned at some point in time.

I guess fires are my main concern, started by some posts read on different forums. I'm probably worried for nothing.

we simply have to prepare the best we can and deal with these issues when they arise. always do pre-trip inspections/ tests before heading out on trips whether it be a short one within a 100 miles or the cross country trips.. also keep up on the maintenance.. you can easily test propane for leaks also easily enough on your own with soapy water or with an electronic tester.

With an electronic tester? You mean the alarms or detectors? I know about testing outside connections with soapy water.

We also travel typically with good friends,I trust them to have a key to our rig, and in the event we are away they would be able to quickly gain access if our pets were locked inside and needed to get them out quickly... hopefully they would be able to respond quickly if anything ever happened or vice-versa if they happened to leave for a while and we were still in the cg.. they are also well acquainted with our pets so that they would easily go to them in event of a fire etc.

you're very lucky to have someone to camp with. We belong to a camping club but that's only a few times a year. No one we know camps. We go alone 99% of the time. Would you believe it's the cats I'm concerned about because Ins would cover the TT.

RanCarr

We do not remove post unless it is flaming, derogatory, or has bad language, threating legal action or what we consider unnecessary to the forum.

You need to check to see where you posted almost the same questions, I almost deleted it because it was almost the same. Posting the same question in different threads is a not allowed. Just so you will know, the other thread is located here.

Jim M

Thanks Jim. I'm a bit new to Forums so am still feeling my way along. :)

Rodney_M

With an electronic tester? You mean the alarms or detectors? I know about testing outside connections with soapy water.

both, there are detectors you can purchase and install in the camper that will alert you to a gas leak, but also there is a propane sniffer that you can use to do an inspection of your RV. camping world sells them for around $20-$30. fairly cheap for peace of mind if propane is one of your concerns.. here is a link to the product at CW http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Gas-Detector-Portable/55949/&?&affiliateid=2626 and i would say more accurate than the ole bucket of soapy water.. I would use this during your pre-inspection. and still testing with soapy water if you dont own the portable tester is still better than not checking the fittings at all..

if you buy the portable detector, i would turn on the gas, then you can check at each pilot without them lit to see if gas is escaping if the pilot light is out.. also it is good to check the joints as well if you are able to locate them.. some may be out of reach.... the main detector that you can mount inside the trailer can give warning while rv is in use and you are relaxing at the lake etc.

in regards to protecting your cats, i can totally understand that.. we have 3 dogs that are part of the family..we are overly protective also..