How to add a little bleach to the fresh water holding tank

dana22

We want to add a little beach to the fresh water tank while it stores water for dry camping. Our old Landmark had a specific port where bleach could be added with no problem. The 2016 Landmark we have has no such place. How can it be done?

scottyb

Pour it in the water hose near your hose bib. If you have a whole house filter, you may have to remove the element.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I run about 10 gallons or so of water into the tank then disconnect the hose at the faucet and pour the bleach into the hose (as Scottyb said) with a glass measuring cup. I add about 2oz for a full tank of about 110 gallons of water.

carl.swoyer

We put it in our water hose then fill the tank. We also run bleach thru city, open all hot and cold faucets till we smell bleach. We then let that sit for 10 minutes the run water thru until the bleach smell is gone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I run about 10 gallons or so of water into the tank then disconnect the hose at the faucet and pour the bleach into the hose (as Scottyb said) with a glass measuring cup. I add about 2oz for a full tank of about 110 gallons of water.

Are you doing this every time you fill the tank to simply create fresh drinking water?

2 ounces of bleach to 110 gallons is roughly what the CDC provides as the guide to create safe drinking water. This will not be effective in "cleaning" the fresh water tank.

To create fresh drinking water, the CDC recommends adding 1/8 teaspoon of unscented liquid household chlorine (5–6%) bleach for each gallon of clear water. This equals 1 teaspoon for 8 gallons.....which is 12 teaspoons (2 ounces) for 96 gallons.

To sanitize (clean) the holding tank and water lines, I've used the chart below as a guideline. I will fill the tank with this mixture, run all water lines until I smell bleach, then allow to sit for 8 hours. I then drain the tank...fill with fresh water and run all lines for 5 mins. I allow that to sit for another 8 hours. Then repeat one last time....fill tank...flush all lines. This last tank (3rd) will stay in the trailer.

Capture.jpg

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We only use the fresh water tank once or twice a year so it's not practical for us to go through the whole sanitizing process. We use bottled water for drinking. The bleach in the tank is just to keep the bacteria to a minimum.

dlw930

I purchased an inexpensive pump designed to be powered by an electric drill from a big box home improvement store. The pump has water hose output fitting and an input for a plastic tube. I use it for pumping antifreeze for winterization and premixed bleach solution from a clean bucket for fresh water through the 4-way Anderson valve. Using a cordless drill for power, this is a fast, accurate and convenient way to sanitize the tank and prepare safe drinking water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I purchased an inexpensive pump designed to be powered by an electric drill from a big box home improvement store. The pump has water hose output fitting and an input for a plastic tube. I use it for pumping antifreeze for winterization and premixed bleach solution from a clean bucket for fresh water through the 4-way Anderson valve. Using a cordless drill for power, this is a fast, accurate and convenient way to sanitize the tank and prepare safe drinking water.

I want to see this at the Rally. Sounds interesting.

Oregon_Camper

We only use the fresh water tank once or twice a year so it's not practical for us to go through the whole sanitizing process. We use bottled water for drinking. The bleach in the tank is just to keep the bacteria to a minimum.

That makes perfect sense.... :cool:

You should try to find some remote sites (boondocking). The image below was last summer, and normally the lake is only 10 feet from the treeline, but he had a major drought in Oregon last summer. We just love going places where it is us and mother-nature.

Capture.jpg

dlw930

I want to see this at the Rally. Sounds interesting.

I'm sure we can schedule a quick demo, that is if you've left a few spare minutes in the rally schedule!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm sure we can schedule a quick demo, that is if you've left a few spare minutes in the rally schedule!

That would be great! Maybe when we do rig tours, you can demo it!