How to determine power requirements for RV

wallaced

I have a 2017 Heartland Oakmont 400FL that I want to buy a inverter/generator for. How do I compute the total wattage requirements for the RV? Is there a chart that lists the typical wattage for different appliances (A/C, fridge, etc)?

pegmikef

I have a 2017 Heartland Oakmont 400FL that I want to buy a inverter/generator for. How do I compute the total wattage requirements for the RV? Is there a chart that lists the typical wattage for different appliances (A/C, fridge, etc)?

I put a watt meter on my power line and measured every electrical device in the trailer except the refrigerator and converter (as they are always on so I used the combined power). The only thing I could not accurately measure was the startup wattage of the A/Cs because my meter only goes up to 1800 watts. I think I bought the meter at Home Depot or Lowes.

Last edited:

danemayer

From the owners manual page 46.
Electric appliance amperage.jpg

If you have a residential refrigerator, it could draw something like 8 amps at startup.

esscobra

Honda and Yamaha as well as onan have calculators on their websites to help you determine sizing- I had the Yamaha 4500 for a while- could run 2 a/c but had to be careful if you wanted to run other things- sold it and got eu7000is Honda- runs 2 a/c and microwave with tv and soundbar/sub and sat reveivers o problem- around 10 gal will et more than 24 hs in texas heat - just got new 5th- installed 7k fuel injected onan and in process of installing fuel tank and hope to have running in next week or 2

wallaced

Honda and Yamaha as well as onan have calculators on their websites to help you determine sizing- I had the Yamaha 4500 for a while- could run 2 a/c but had to be careful if you wanted to run other things- sold it and got eu7000is Honda- runs 2 a/c and microwave with tv and soundbar/sub and sat reveivers o problem- around 10 gal will et more than 24 hs in texas heat - just got new 5th- installed 7k fuel injected onan and in process of installing fuel tank and hope to have running in next week or 2

Esscobra,

I am quite interested in your setup. Are you mounting your Onan in the front of your 5ver? If so, how are you venting the exhaust? If possible, I'd like to see pictures of your installation....I was considering two Hondas running parallel, mounted in the bed of the truck. My Oakmont has room for a generator, but I wasn't sure how to run the exhaust.

Thanks for your reply, and any future suggestions

crussian

Esscobra,

I am quite interested in your setup. Are you mounting your Onan in the front of your 5ver? If so, how are you venting the exhaust? If possible, I'd like to see pictures of your installation....I was considering two Hondas running parallel, mounted in the bed of the truck. My Oakmont has room for a generator, but I wasn't sure how to run the exhaust.

I have a 2015 Oakmont 345RS. I did have an Onan 5500 installed. If I have time this evening I will take a few pictures so you can get an idea of the space needed. FYI, I have dual air conditioners and the Onan 5500 handles both plus the TV going and the refrigerator without issue.

C&J

esscobra

I just picked up my unit last weekend- only was able to slide generator into compartment and mock up tank- hoping to finish and get it started this weekend- ill get some pics of gen install this weekend- here is pic of my temporary gas tank -I plan on installing larger tank between front axle ad drop frame- with fill neck on driver side

Attachments

• IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 53

crussian

Esscobra,

Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. My 5.5 onan sits in the front compartment. Here is an overall pic and a pic of the exhaust underneath.
20170318_092905.jpg20170318_092928_001.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

wallaced

Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. My 5.5 onan sits in the front compartment. Here is an overall pic and a pic of the exhaust underneath.
View attachment 50453View attachment 50454

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pictures! Exactly what I needed to see. I wound up buying the Honda EU7000is with a remote start and the exhaust kit. I have installation figured out, with the exception of getting the generator in place. Your Onan weighs in at 275lbs...this Honda tips the scales at 300lbs...just a tad more than I can lift.

We are making a west coast trip to Cali and Washington, and look forward to being able to boondock a little.

Mrz

How are you transporting that Honda 7000IS generator? Isn't it too high in the bed of the truck?

esscobra

I know a guy with 2016 landmark 365 ad has srw f350 and puts the Honda 7k in bed of his truck n front by cab