How to mount TV in garage

TNEagle

I'm a new owner to a 2011 3950. I'm wondering how (what type of hardware) and where on the side wall I can mount a pivoting TV wall mount. I want it to go on the side wall next to the cable connection. I'm just not sure how to secure solidly to the wall.

Mike Aplin

Thank you for joining the Heartland family with your new 3950 purchase. The TV mounting is actually underneath the the off door side loft bed. If you see where the 110V outlet and cable TV is mounted on the underneath side. There is a backing plate for you to mount a swing down/swivel mounted bracket. Please call our customer service at 877-262-8032 if you have any questions regarding the actual installation. Take care, Mike

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We wrestled with the idea of mounting a TV to the side wall of the basement but decided not to do it. Now we have a 27" LCD free standing unit that when we travel, is wrapped in a blanket and bungied to the side wall. it ended up being a pretty good idea cus we have move the TV from the basement to a different location without any problems.

TNEagle

Thanks Mike. This is Jerry. You took Gayle and I on a factory tour. We were on our way home from our vacation in SD. I'll have to check this out when I get home. Is it a visible mounting bracket?

tgreening

Not really visible unless you remove the jack plate and look up in there, but if you press up on the ceiling in that area it's pretty easy to find it's location and perimeter. As an aside, I called customer service with your exact question and was told by "someone" there that unless the unit came with a TV in that location that there was no mounting provision installed. Didn't make any sense to me since there was a cable and power jack right-there, but person on the phone insisted. I checked anyway and there is a mounting plate on my unit.

nkglaser

I'm a new owner of a 2011 3010. We have tried to mount a TV in the wooden box to the right of the sliding door, what is behind the paneling??? It does not feel like anything other than the wood paneling. Is there a solid piece of wood or plywood behing the paneling?? As of now we are worried about screwing into the refer of the crews not holding. Thanks for any advice.

DC10-FE

I'm a new owner of a 2011 3010. We have tried to mount a TV in the wooden box to the right of the sliding door, what is behind the paneling??? It does not feel like anything other than the wood paneling. Is there a solid piece of wood or plywood behing the paneling?? As of now we are worried about screwing into the refer of the crews not holding. Thanks for any advice.

NK - I have 2011 3010 as well and I mounted a 26" Vizio Razor flat screen TV in that compartment with no problems. When I get home, I'll post some pictures and take some measurements of the mount installation, but, until then, let me tell you what I did. I went with the Vizio TV (MODEL#E260VA) because it is light as a feather, I believe it weighs about 11 lbs. and it's a great picture for a $320 small flat screen and it fit in the space perfectly. Next, I bought a TV mount at Lowe's for about $60. It's an Omni Mount brand (Model OL50-C) full motion that extends out as well as pivots up and down. I chose this mount to make it easy for my son to hook up a DVD player or his X-Box when he travels with us. Otherwise, you have to plug things in by feel instead of just rotating the TV out of the way for easy connection access. The wall it mounts to is a bit thicker than it appears, so I used the plastic expansion anchors that came with the mount kit and attached the mount with the supplied mount screws. The only thing I had to do differently was to position the mount a bit offset from the center of the box so the TV would fit in the opening squarely. When I get home (in about a week) I will take some measurements of where the screws are actually located to make the TV centered. I have had this setup in place for about a year now and it hasn't shown any signs of loosening or wear. I was a bit apprehensive when I first mounted this TV, but I have no concerns, what so ever at this point. One other thing I did was go to Ace hardware and picked up some one inch webbing, plastic catches like the big TV in the living room has and a couple of picture hanger mounts and made a strap similar to the one that keeps the big TV in place while your traveling.

SocalDD

Another "How to mount TV in garage" question...? I would like to have the same mount that is located in the bedroom TV for the garage so I can move the TV back and forth. I went to "Best Buy", Walmart and Costco and can't find the same mounting hardware. Has anyone found the same basic TV mount found in the the 3010. Thanks...!

nkglaser

Scott,

Thanks for the input, my husband will wait on pictures and your measurments before we tackle mounting ours. Our TV is much smaller but probably weighs more. We are recycleing from our previous camper - we are up to 3 TV's and usually only the two of us are camping. can you ever have to many TV - no you cannot acording to my husband.
Thanks again. Nancy

DC10-FE

NK,
I'm home now, (albeit for just a day), but, here are the pictures I promised.

The first one shows the position of the plastic retainer's that come with the mount. The position of the top hole is 10 1/2 inches down from the top and 9 3/8 inches from the left side wall. You can use the bracket to align the lower hole. I also used the included screws, which are 2 1/2 inches long and pretty heavy duty. You can also see the upper strap that secures the TV while traveling.

The second shows some of the hardware used to mount the straps.

The third one shows the mount bracket along with the straps.

The fourth shows the TV tilted away for access to the HDMI and RCA plugs.

The fifth one shows how the TV is positioned for travel and how it fits within the mounting area. With this TV, I have about 1 1/2 inches around the TV and the frame of the opening. It fits nice, and I don't have to worry about any rubbing on the sides.

The alignment will be determined by the where the mount bracket is attached to the TV. Mine happens to be in the center of the back of the TV. Good luck, Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5875.JPG
    IMG_5875.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5876.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG
    569.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5877.JPG
    IMG_5877.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 243

tgreening

Thank you for joining the Heartland family with your new 3950 purchase. The TV mounting is actually underneath the the off door side loft bed. If you see where the 110V outlet and cable TV is mounted on the underneath side. There is a backing plate for you to mount a swing down/swivel mounted bracket. Please call our customer service at 877-262-8032 if you have any questions regarding the actual installation. Take care, Mike

Digging up an older post but hopefully it yields results. Do you happen to have a part number for the swing down and swivel type tv mount? I'll be danged if I can find an aftermarket version that fits the bill. I had one in my old Keystone TT that was the hot ticket, but they don't use that system anymore so I struck out on that front. Right now I have a standard non-folding ceiling mount but I have to remove the TV every time we move. Too much leverage on the mount to leave it in place.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Scott,

Thanks for posting the Photos. It appears that you used hollow wall anchors for the mount. Was there no solid mounting plate behind that cabinet or did it just not line up for you? I also just became a heartland owner with the purchase of a 2010 cyclone 3010 last month.

evojohn

I just mounted a 19" flat screen in the garage of my 3800. The mounting plate for the mount I bought used 3 screws vertically thru a plate and then the bracket bolts to that. I found one of the aluminum 'studs' in the wall that separates my loft from the garage, drilled pilot holes and put 3 screws in in it. I had to cut the screws short so they didn't stick out into the loft. But it works great. I take the TV off the mount when we travel and since the TV is mounted on the front wall it's out of the way of the electric beds and my son can watch tv or play PS3 out there without driving us nuts.

jimtoo

Hi evojohn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Thanks for letting us know how you mounted your TV. It's information sharing that makes this a great forum.

Enjoy the forum and your 3800.

Jim M