How to properly change a tire.

Jim Beletti said:
UR,

I have one like that. Tried it once. It didn't raise up the good tire enough to get the bad one all the way off the ground. I pulled off of it, blocked it up with a 2x8 and pulled back onto it and got it to work. It's not easy doing yourself though as the jack/ramp wants to creep/slide off the 2x8 blocking. Maybe if you attached the jack/ramp to some blocking it would work out fine. From the photo below, looks like mine has screw holes for mounting. Maybe the one you sourced is higher than mine (Trailer Aid).

Jim

19686_L_001_xxx.jpg

Jim,

I also have the Trailer-Aid that I used with my old TT. I planned on using it with my new BC but was told on rv.net that with heavier trailers this could damage the good tire (good tire trying to raise 4500-5000lbs). What is your take on this? Any response from the factory on using this product would also be appreciated.

James

jbeletti

Hi James,

I'd "guess" that you were given pretty good advice on not using the Trailer Aid. Not only is it a bit impractical for these units (my experience) but by not using a jack to take some of the load the bad tire carried and instead transfer it all to the good tire - sounds like a less than ideal situation.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

I agree with Jim B. I speak from experience when the Trail America exploded. I would not use the ramp again, the time wasted using the ramp could be well spent using a bottle jack for ground clearance. Time is of essence changing a tire on the shoulder of the freeway with all the big rigs roaring by.

ct0218

Transferring the load to another tire could just overload that tire, suspension, and axle. Also, it appears that it would torque the suspension and equalizer a good bit. There is not much weight margin on the axles, suspension and tires, so jacking the frame makes sense to me.

talley

Very good discussion and analysis on the "jack points" on the trailer. I had read the Al-Ko instructions about not using the axle. I put the question the service manager and technician at my dealer and they told me to just use the axle. When I pointed out the Al-Ko instruction they simply suggested it was ok for changing a flat... just not for extended support. Without having come across this discussion I would have relied on their word.

In the meantime I left my 3655RL off at the dealer last Wednesday for warranty work. While there I asked the new new service manager about jacking the trailer... was told they would look into it and have an answer when I picked up the trailer.

Thanks again to all for the good discussion and infol