Hydraulic issue... pump cutting out?

explorer2316

Explorer2316
I have a 2016 LM365 Newport doing the same thing. I can hear the breaker tripping and clicking when it resets. I haven't checked the ampere rating of the breaker but I'll bet Heartland or their unit suppliers are still using the same 50amp breaker. Thanks to all who posted. I now know what to go check!

tljack

We have a 2014 Bighorn with 6 point leveling system. Same problem. Talked to a Dealer service tech at a RV show. He looked at it and said I had a bad breaker. He did not have any so I ordered a couple from Heartland. A new one did not do the trick. I took the unit to Quality RV in Springfield Oregon. The owner did a trouble shoot on the RV and said the breaker is fine it is your pump. A new $1200.00 hydraulic pump was installed and everything is working perfectly now. Good thing for warranties!

I was told installing an 80 amp breaker is an unsafe band aid at best. Apparently these pumps have a very high failure rate!

Nbomar

Evidently Jayco which uses lippert systems as well has issued a recall and is switching all their breakers to 80amp. A good friend dropped his new 5er off this morning and a local shop is doing the fix. He has the same problem I am having and all of you are having. Interesting to see a brand do a recall so customers aren't doing all the R&D and repairs for them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Evidently Jayco which uses lippert systems as well has issued a recall and is switching all their breakers to 80amp. A good friend dropped his new 5er off this morning and a local shop is doing the fix. He has the same problem I am having and all of you are having. Interesting to see a brand do a recall so customers aren't doing all the R&D and repairs for them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to a source with details about this recall?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My research has found no recall, but Jayco has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the Ground Control 3.0 system.

Peace
Dave

wkcox

Replacing the 50amp auto reset breaker has restored function to the front legs of my Road Warrior. Can you post the link to the TSB from Jayco? I am also interested in the 80amp breaker setup. Steve, on the cable coming into the new breaker, where did it originate? From your photos, I cannot tell. hanks for all of the helpful posts.

OldTanker

I have attached some pictures of the wiring.View attachment 40986View attachment 40987View attachment 40988

Regards,
Steve

I have looked at my wiring situation and saw that the breaker for the hydraulics was also connected to the main power bus bar (copper strip). Since the hydraulic system is a direct wire (power thoughput) is it necessary to keep the new 80 watt breaker connected to that same buss or just be used as a separate system?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since the copper buss supplies power to the 12 volt system it would make sense to use that supply unless you ran a dedicated cable from the battery to your 80 amp breaker.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

When plugged into shore power, the Power Converter sends power to the buss bar which supplements the power provided by the battery. If you go around the buss bar, you won't have this.

OldTanker

I'm looking for a replacement breaker. At the least I need a 50 amp direct replacement. I would prefer to get the 80 amp but I'm having trouble locating either on online. Can anyone who has purchased one from an auto parts store advise which chain store you used? If I have to get the same thing I'll get two so I have a spare. I don't mind working on my rig, it's cheaper than the $100+ per hour rv places charge! Thanks in advance.

sjandbj

Replacing the 50amp auto reset breaker has restored function to the front legs of my Road Warrior. Can you post the link to the TSB from Jayco? I am also interested in the 80amp breaker setup. Steve, on the cable coming into the new breaker, where did it originate? From your photos, I cannot tell. hanks for all of the helpful posts.

Sorry to take so long to reply i did not see the post. When I replaced the 50 amp breaker with a 80 amp breaker I wired the breaker to my battery cut off switch. This way it was a direct connection. Since i change the breaker I have had zero problems with the circuit.

Regards,
Steve

TedS

Another source for high amp breakers is an auto audio store. Those bass-thumpin', body-pounding systems use high amp breakers.

OldTanker

I found some at O'riely auto parts store at $5.99. Not the exact thing as the mounting tabs are set 90 degrees from what is installed but otherwise the same 50 amp breaker. This location online has them at a lower price, under $3 each. http://www.delcity.net/store/Auto-Re...!-12V/p_198669

I have one fresh breaker and will get a spare or two later on after we get to our next destination.

OldTanker

Anyone that has the 2 50 amp breakers (or two 40 amp) set up could you post a picture of what the set up looks like? I am contemplating doing the dual breaker option if it will fit the bus bar but don't know how thew wiring would be done.

FiremanBill

Hey sorry but I forgot about this thread. Not long after my original post I got in there and started digging around, found the bus bar with the breaker and there was a spare unused one on the opposite end of the bar. I moved the wires over to it and have not had any issues since. I got another breaker to put in place of the old one for a quick change out if I have any more issues.

Redundancy = good