Hydraulic issue... pump cutting out?

explorer2316

Explorer2316
I replaced my 50 amp with another 50 and it fixed the problem for about 3 months. I started doing it again and I decided to go with a 60 amp. 60's won't fit on the bus, as others have said, so I'll have to make up a jumper to go from the bus to the new breaker.

Interestingly, I looked at the main breaker that feeds the bus and it too is 50 amp so, I'm not sure which one is tripping now. Given that I also ordered a 150 amp trip and switch for the main. When it trips the Handel drops down or if your doing maintenance you can push the red button and it switches off. (I'm not a fan of having to disconnect wires to work on things.) I purchased a auto resetting for the hydraulics. I bought both of mine on Amazon.

Auto Resetting Sizes and Part #'s

BUS_AHD_CB181F_110.jpg

Part No. (Amps)
CB181F-60 CB181F-110
CB181F-70 CB181F-120
CB181F-80 CB181F-135
CB181F-90 CB181F-150
CB181F-100

<tbody>
</tbody>

Trip and Switch Sizes and Part#'s

BUS_AHD_CB185_110.jpg

Part No. (Amps) Blister Pack
CB185-25
CB185-30
CB185-35
CB185-40
CB185-50X
CB185-60
CB185-70X
CB185-80X
CB185-90
CB185-100X
CB185-110
CB185-120X
CB185-135X
CB185-150X

<tbody>
</tbody>

sjandbj

Steve,
Is your 80 amp breaker auto-resetting?

Ernie,
The 80amp is not auto resetting. At 80 amps I have never needed to reset the breaker, if I did then I would be looking to see why before resetting. This mod has worked perfectly since I changed.

Steve

Last edited:

Az_Ernie

Ernie,
The 80amp is not auto resting. At 80 amps I have never needed to resettle breaker, if I did then I would be looking to see why before resetting. This mod has worked perfectly since I changed.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks! We had a problem with our original 12v, 50 amp auto-resetting breaker. Since replacing it with a like item from a local auto parts store, and after many cycles, we have not had any more problems. If the problem reoccurs, it will be replaced with a 80 amp breaker.

Ernie

Nbomar

I've got two auto resetting circuit breakers wired together on my RW415. How do I tell which one is bad? Just replace both of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I've got two auto resetting circuit breakers on my RW415. How do I tell which one is bad? Just replace both of them?

Use the attached picture as a guide. You're looking for the heavy wire that doesn't have a matching heavy wire on the other side of the breaker.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 38

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've got two auto resetting circuit breakers wired together on my RW415. How do I tell which one is bad? Just replace both of them?

You can use a test light or a volt meter and check power on both sides of each breaker if one is bad and not resetting it will not have power on both sides. hope that helps

Nbomar

Well I found the auto reset circuit breaker that wasn't being used and swapped them today. Still has he same issue. Hydraulic slides and legs work for a few seconds and then cut out. The more you use them the shorter duration you can use them before cycling the breaker. What else can I check? It wasn't like this when I bought it so something has to have worn slightly. I have a second battery I was going to put in this weekend. Do you think that could help?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The breaker for the hydraulic pump is a 50 amp.
Is the unused breaker you found a 30 or 50 amp?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The pump will pull too many amps and trip the breaker if voltage is low. Clean the battery terminals. Check water level in the battery. If the battery is over 24 months, have it checked at an auto parts store.

Check connections all the way from battery through buss bar, to the pump. A loose ground can also cause this.

Much less commonly, a bind in the slide mechanism can cause the pump to bog down and draw more amps than the breaker can handle.

Nbomar

How do you tell what size the breaker is? I just followed someone else's instructions on moving the wire. I have two new 50 amp breakers I haven't installed yet.

danemayer

How do you tell what size the breaker is? I just followed someone else's instructions on moving the wire. I have two new 50 amp breakers I haven't installed yet.

Should be labeled somewhere. If not, put in one of your new 50s.

mlpeloquin

Ok. Here is how breakers work. With the rated current they will trip over a specified period of time. Usually in minuets, 15 - 60 or more depending on ambient temperature usually specified at 25 degrees C. Over current a breaker will trip depending on how much, how long, and ambient temperature. Once a breaker trips it does lower the thresh hold at which it trip a little bit. I never worried about MIL Spec breakers. I am used to designing with MIL breakers. Commercial breakers or perhaps consumer breakers probably have looser specifications the MIL spec ones. That being said, the 50A breaker was probably specified based on a time vs load current rating of the breaker. Most work as designed, but some obviously do not. When changing to the 80 amp breaker the wire gauge may or may not be able to handle the over current without really heating up prior to the breaker tripping. Don't know because I don't want to engineer the problem. If one is available and it is, I would have changed to the 60 amp breaker. Wire is rated for how much current it can carry. 10ga 33 amp, 8ga 46 amp, 6ga is 60 amp, 4ga is 80 amp, and this is proper specifications for short run designs. Long runs need the gauge to be bumped up a gauge size. Since every thing is in my front bay, it is all short run.

jesstalkn is correct. All is dependent on good clean low mili-ohm connections. That is .001 ohm.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan Dan Dan
You always have the right answer. Can't wait to meet you in Vegas....

Pull the ground wire off the frame and clean off the paint mine had a cheesy little self tapping screw. Start there fix that and check everything else as Dan said.
check all of your Conections at the battery, pump, the breakers, don't just wiggle them with your fingers, put a nut driver or a wrench on everything. Also check the butt connectors to make sure the wires are in good and have a good crimp on them. You my eaven be able to see if one has some discoloration from getting hot.
If you don't find a problem which I think you will. You can rig up you'r own text. Make your own new wire of proper size go straight from the battery to a 50amp breaker and from the breaker to the hot terminal of the pump. Basically eliminating Heartlands wiring. And see if it works without popping the breaker.

My old ground
aa2384006171febbf371ad8833fd02fd.jpg

My new ground
505b6249f1cc60b491dbe35f4720f399.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: