Hydraulic landing gear will not retract.

timdebs

We have a 2009 Landmark Pinehurst. Our landing gear is extended. I can not get landing gear to retract. Can extend but not retract. I used pump jacks and picked front up in case legs were in a bind. Legs just dropped more. If i toggle the switch up-down fast landing gear moves up just a little then drops. I added fluid (just in case) but still did not raise legs. Any advice on how to get legs up would be appreciated.

davebennington

If it is a Landmark they will be hydraulic.I had the similar problem with our previous Landmark. Take a look at the trumblia switch that controls the direction that the motor runs in. Just a suggestion.

dave

danemayer

I assume you have a rocker switch and press one way to extend, and the other way to retract. Switch may have gone bad. If you have a similar switch for stabilizers, you could try a substitution. But label all the wires for both switches before disconnecting anything.

DocFather

I assume you have a rocker switch and press one way to extend, and the other way to retract. Switch may have gone bad. If you have a similar switch for stabilizers, you could try a substitution. But label all the wires for both switches before disconnecting anything.

Caveat off Dan's post, do you have the Level-Up option. If so, try operating the landing gear that way.

timdebs

We do not have level up option. The motor runs and will extend legs. When I try to retract the motor runs but sounds like it is cavitating. I did disconnect the hydraulic hoses on legs and picked legs up.

danemayer

We do not have level up option. The motor runs and will extend legs. When I try to retract the motor runs but sounds like it is cavitating. I did disconnect the hydraulic hoses on legs and picked legs up.
Two things happen when you operate the switch: the pump runs in one direction or the other, and the control valve opens to allow the fluid to move in or out of the jacks. This latest description sounds like the control valve is operating only from pushing the switch in one direction.

That suggests to me that the valve wiring (at the control valve) is ok. But the wiring at the switch end (or the switch) has the problem.

You can use an allen wrench to manually open the control valve, which should allow you to retract the jacks. Don't forget to close it.

This document shows one example of manually operating a control valve. Since your pump is running, you won't need to use a drill to rotate the pump.

I still think you have a failing switch.

lwmcguir

Two things happen when you operate the switch: the pump runs in one direction or the other, and the control valve opens to allow the fluid to move in or out of the jacks. This latest description sounds like the control valve is operating only from pushing the switch in one direction.

That suggests to me that the valve wiring (at the control valve) is ok. But the wiring at the switch end (or the switch) has the problem.

You can use an allen wrench to manually open the control valve, which should allow you to retract the jacks. Don't forget to close it.

This document shows one example of manually operating a control valve. Since your pump is running, you won't need to use a drill to rotate the pump.

I still think you have a failing switch.

Great post, good document to save on your phone

timdebs

I have 2 switches, 1 on the front outside of camper and the other inside front compartment by the pump. I will try to operate like the document you sent. Thank you very much! Will let you know.

timdebs

Update on landing gear not going up...been talking and working with Lippert trying to get landing gear up. The tech guys I have been talking with at Lippert have been great! I assume I have been running pump so much trying to get landing gear up the trombetta (solenoid) got really hot and melted some of the plastic. Ordered a new one from Amazon (a lot cheaper than from Lippert), hooked all wires up. The motor runs when extending legs, but only clicks when trying to get legs to retract. Lippert had me jump wire the motor and again the motor works on extending but only sparks when I touch the terminal for retracting. Lippert said motor is bad. OUCH!!! $732 from Lippert. Problem I have is pump seemed to be running fine before I got trombetta hot. I am worried that I buy new motor and still no results. Any thoughts?

TedS

Do the slides operate normally when you use the outside switch near the pump? If the slides operate normally, then the motor/pump unit is good and you do not have a bad motor. The motor is a bidirectional motor and must run forward and reverse to extend and retract hydraulic cylinders. The trombetta provides the switching to run the motor forward and reverse. You also override the motor with a drill motor and extension to verify the pump pumps oil in both directions.

TedS

Be sure the front of the trailer is otherwise supported. If you manually mess with the valve for the landing legs and release the hydraulic pressure holding the trailer up, it will drop like a rock.

timdebs

I have not tried the slides since replacing trombetta,I did not even think about that. Tech at Lippert did not mention that either. The slides were working fine before. I will try tomorrow. If worse case the slides no longer work, I assume I will use an allen wrench to turn valves and pull one slide in at a time? I have already put blocks under camper just in case. Is there any place else I can get a motor? Only number I have is Lippert's part number.

timdebs

Finally got slides and landing gear up manually! John at Lippert told me you should be able to all to work even if motor is messed up. He had me go out to camper and while on phone with me read manual to make sure I was doing everything correctly. That did not work. John then said try turning the drill the opposite way and slides started working and was able to get landing gear up. Still not sure why it is opposite from manual. Also (FYI) I had to get a faster drill (3000 rpm) to run pump. I had my smaller one (300 rpm) and it would not spin motor fast enough to work pump. Looks like a new motor is going to be a must. Ted thank you for the link $200 cheaper!

ray587

i had that happen to me right after I serviced the reservoir on my Roadwarrior. I worried with it all day till I noticed I had pulled a wire loose from the leg that goes to the limiter. Hooked wire back up and it worked like new.

Jpfellin

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the switch to the Hydraulic lifting system switch? I had the same issue where the legs would not go up. I tried the manuel turn on the motor and the switch on the inside. After an hour the lifts finally went up after playing around with the inside switch. I put a new switch outside, but no luck. Don't know if the wires got crossed due to the wires from the switch to the body coming apart. Some one did not clamp the wires strong enough together. When I pulled the switch out to replace a couple of wires from the Clamp area came off.

Please send me any info. Thanks Joe Fellin. joe.fellin@gmail.com

jimtoo

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a lot of great folks here and lots of information.

You might check the Tools area , this link, for a wiring diagram for your switch.

Jim M