Hydraulic leveling on cross slope.

rpotter

Our driveway has a 2 way slope and I think it is to much for the hydraulic leveling system on our big horn 3570rs to handle. We had a 32' travel trailer that we could use wheel pads and the front jack to get it near level and put out our slides. Is it possible to use wheel pads on the fifth wheel to help get it more level before using the hydraulic level system.? I would also put pads under the hydraulic legs to reduce the extended height. We hate not being able to open the sliders when loading and unloading. We're concerned due to the size and weight of the big horn sliders that we are level when opening them. Finally, will the hydraulic auto level stop and warn if the adjustment to level is beyond its capability? We don't want to twist or break anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

We always eyeball our sites and put level pads if we think appropriate. The auto level will stop if it cannot level the trailer.

Hippy

I have six 4x6's I cut in 18" lengths. If I see that one side is going to over extended, I will place one of those 4x6 underneath. I don't think by placing pads under your wheels would help unless your not using your leveling system.

Don't be surprised if one or two of the wheels come off the ground. It's ok. If you try leveling without and over extend, the system will stop leveling. Then you have to shut down the system and retract manually.

rpotter

Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure the frame was designed to handle a wheel leaving the ground. I don't think it is that extreme in our driveway but won't know for sure until it hits level. I will definitely use pads in the low points. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rpotter

Well its in and level.. i put 3 of the orange interlocking pads under each of the front jacks since they were the lowest point. It says level achieved and the two wheels on the passenger side are about 1 inch off the ground.. Was very nervous as i watched it take control and this leg, than that leg.. so cool... hopefully that is ok since it didn't stop. I wasn't sure if the 5th wheel frames were strong enough to support any wheels leaving the ground. Still not sure if it would make it more beneficial for the trailer and frame if in the future i backed the wheels on the side that comes up off the ground onto a couple of pads so they wouldn't be in the air.

DocFather

Well its in and level.. i put 3 of the orange interlocking pads under each of the front jacks since they were the lowest point. It says level achieved and the two wheels on the passenger side are about 1 inch off the ground.. Was very nervous as i watched it take control and this leg, than that leg.. so cool... hopefully that is ok since it didn't stop. I wasn't sure if the 5th wheel frames were strong enough to support any wheels leaving the ground. Still not sure if it would make it more beneficial for the trailer and frame if in the future i backed the wheels on the side that comes up off the ground onto a couple of pads so they wouldn't be in the air.

Some on here seem to be concerned with doing things that might void warranty or manufacturer liability, but others seem to think the warning on the Lippert Manual (page 1) for the Level-Up is just a "suggestion." But it clearly states "NEVER LIFT THE COACH COMPLETELY OFF THE GROUND. LIFTING THE COACH SO THE WHEELS ARE NOT TOUCHING GROUND WILL CREATE AN UNSTABLE AND UNSAFE CONDITION." Now, I admit I have done that but 95% of the time I will level it, then see how much the wheels, if any, are off the ground, then slide 2 x 10s under the wheels then finish leveling again. Jus sayin

rpotter

Some on here seem to be concerned with doing things that might void warranty or manufacturer liability, but others seem to think the warning on the Lippert Manual (page 1) for the Level-Up is just a "suggestion." But it clearly states "NEVER LIFT THE COACH COMPLETELY OFF THE GROUND. LIFTING THE COACH SO THE WHEELS ARE NOT TOUCHING GROUND WILL CREATE AN UNSTABLE AND UNSAFE CONDITION." Now, I admit I have done that but 95% of the time I will level it, then see how much the wheels, if any, are off the ground, then slide 2 x 10s under the wheels then finish leveling again. Jus sayin

That is exactly why i did this post, to ensure i wasn't going to hurt the trailer or frame. Thanks for the info. In the future i will put two honeycomb pads under the passenger wheels which will prevent them from leaving the ground and then perform the auto level. Appreciate your comment... Otherwise i might never have noticed the leaving the ground warning and thought this was the norm. :)

DocFather

Having posted what I did, I will add the following. When I first got my rig 2 years ago, I called Lippert and was told NOT to use the Level-up to raise the wheels off the ground. One of the "regulars" on here, who I trust very much, says it is ok. I have read somewhere on this Forum and some other Forums that I suppose it is who you speak to at Lippert will make a difference in the answer to this issue. As for me, I don't even use the Automatic leveling. It only takes me a few minutes to level it manually. I am sure the Lippert Manual warning is a CYA situation

rpotter

I just took a closer look at the Lippert manual.. the warning is a simple small bullet point amongst other bullets.. You would think they would have made it more of a WARNING **** blah blah ****** type message.. It also says.. at no point should the coach be completely lifted off the ground. I did read that message a ways back and at the time i took it to mean all four wheels should never leave the ground. However, i am still going to use the pads under the wheels next time because i prefer never to over tax anything.. Ergo, why i have air bags to augment my trucks suspension... I always like to error on the side of being overly cautious.

DocFather

I just took a closer look at the Lippert manual.. the warning is a simple small bullet point amongst other bullets.. You would think they would have made it more of a WARNING **** blah blah ****** type message.. It also says.. at no point should the coach be completely lifted off the ground. I did read that message a ways back and at the time i took it to mean all four wheels should never leave the ground. However, i am still going to use the pads under the wheels next time because i prefer never to over tax anything.. Ergo, why i have air bags to augment my trucks suspension... I always like to error on the side of being overly cautious.

Great way to function

avvidclif

Go to Lipperts website and look up the Level-Up system parts. The front jacks are rated 14k ea and the rears 8k. With 6 jacks I have 60k worth of lift available, if the pump can handle it. No specs I saw for it. My trailer has had 2 wheels off the ground leveling it. Worked fine.

Hippy

I agree with Doc to an extend. But also Cliff has a valid point.
It seems half the sites I go are not level. I'm not going to stand and do a survey nor adding, subtracting pads or moving back and fourth a 16000 pound 5th wheel in attempt to get it level on pads prior to jacks going down. But I do use caution where it's not overly extended from one side to the other to an extreme.
What ever your comfortable with.

rpotter

I agree with Doc to an extend. But also Cliff has a valid point.
It seems half the sites I go are not level. I'm not going to stand and do a survey nor adding, subtracting pads or moving back and fourth a 16000 pound 5th wheel in attempt to get it level on pads prior to jacks going down. But I do use caution where it's not overly extended from one side to the other to an extreme.
What ever your comfortable with.

I totally agree Hippy, in this instance its when i know the condition since its in my own stamped concrete driveway so i don't mind going to the extra effort. That said i do not plan on putting pads under the wheels of the fifth wheel when at an RV park. If the site is so bad that wheels will be leaving the ground i will simply ask for another spot.