I bought the cart, 28BRS Caliber Edition. Time to buy the horse and need advice.

Snoshoe82

Wow great question, everyone has asked it at one tome or another. My 2 cents, I have a 07 4012 5th wheel 13k light and about 22k maxed out moving from El Paso, TX to Sumter, SC. We pull it with a 08 F350 Super Duty 4x4, 6.4L diesel, single wheel rear, (tolls are way to much in Maine with a dually) and the camper package. We got on average of 9mpg at 65mph the truck has no power problems. have a stump story if you care. I love it but it is not totaly family friendly, pass side feet cramped, back seats alittle stiff. but you cant stop it. We also use a 5 horse slant goose neck with no worries full.
My wife has a 2011 GMC YuconXL 2500, smart V8, 4x4, dvd player (must with kids) her best mph 23mph highway no tow, During the El Paso trip she pulled a 7x16 tandum axle enclosed trailer (lowes style)loaded about 8k and 5oolbs in the truck, two kids, two small dogs. averaged about 17mpg. No power probles here either. The best part kids had their own row so now "he's touching me business" and the dvd keeps them quiet.
My question is where do you see yourself? staying in a bumper or going 5th wheel?

johnnybac

To answer SnoShoe82's question. We've been in and out of hundreds of TT's over the last 15 years scrutinizing, studying, etc. We know for a fact that we are not excited about 5th wheelers. Our plan is to spend many years using the 28brs so we are focused on the tow vehicle for the 28brs at this time. As far as upgrading our TT in the future...we know we will as we approach our retirement years and plan on it being a motorhome.

Snoshoe82

Glad you have found your castle, I would recomend the GMC Yukon XL with the smart V8. 3rd row seating keeps the kids apart, huge "trunk", and great power when you need it. you will probably get better milage if you get the 2wd. I wouldn't ever get a 2wd again, 4x4 is not as inefficient as it use to be and it adds that extra pull power if you need it.
If you decide to go with a truck I recomend getting the camper package ie w/ stiffer swaybar. it reduces the fish tail and wind sway quite a bit.
Good luck with your hunt.
If you find yourselves down I 95 in SC maybe we'll see you

cb1313

I must first say that I do not have kids or a dog. I do read that over time many families traveling with kids start looking at 5th wheel toy haulers for the extra beds in the garage so the kids can have their own space. Toy haulers are a lot heavier and if you ever decide to go for one you will need a 3/4-1 ton to pull a toy hauler.
If you think your kids will be traveling with you for years to come think about what you may need in the future.

Cb

priorguy

I tow my '11 28brs with a 5.0L '11 F150 S.crew 4X4, 3.73 rear gear. 9300lb to rating and 1560lb payload. Factory tow package and brake controller. When hooked up properly and weight bars set up it pulls straight and true. I don't tow often so this was the best package for everything I use it for. The 3.55 gear will give better milage but the towing drops to 7300lbs. I bought the horse and this is the second cart for it. Quite happy with the combination so far driving through the hills of northern Ontario with two kids and all their gear. A cap would be great for the dog, or fold the small side of the seat up with plenty of room in the big side for two kids.