I got Blowmaxed too! At least I am getting some money back!

ptysonjr

I have 2014 Cyclone 4100 with six PowerKing Blowmax. I aired them all up for a 2500 mile trip to Florida and back. After this trip I estimate 6000 miles on them and little more than year since purchase. On the way back had sidewall blowout and limped home with no spare. The next day went to Discount tire who matched the cheapest online price I could find($269) and had them all replaced. I inspected the rims and they were rated for 110 psi so had the Goodyear G614's installed. Upon inspection of the the other 5 I found all of them were in danger of blowout as the inner liner was loose inside. I called the number I found for PowerKing warranty and spoke to a fantastic lady named Olga. She took some info and set me up for an inspection with NTB. After NTB confirmed what I reported he measure them at 2/10's usage so she gave me 80% of $130 per tire. They are sending me a check for $596 this week. Manufactured tire dates were 35th week of 2013. I am sure glad I got them off there before I had damage to my unit and at least I am recovering some of my hard earned money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949180.920592.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949180.920592.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 79
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949214.886124.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949214.886124.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949241.706355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949241.706355.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949265.643397.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1440949265.643397.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:

jeffdee

I guess she was in a generous mood with you. She only offered to settle on one tire with me because the others had not failed yet.

buddyboy

You got so lucky not only with the amount you're scheduled to receive, but also with Olga or maybe she's mellowed since the spring of 2013.

Bill-Cathy

I'm new to Heartland. Have had several other RV's ranging from Class "A", 5th wheel toy hauler, and a Class "C". Just bought a 2016 Gateway 3400SE.
Haven't even picked it up from the dealer yet. Now that I'm reading the many complaints about the tires, I'm concerned. We put a lot of miles on our
rigs. We live in Nevada but the grandkids are in Texas and we make several trips a year to see them. The last thing any RVer needs is trouble on the
road. I saw in an old post from a Heartland rep saying that an upgrade in the tires is available. I'm going to check into that and see if it is still possible to
do that.

jimtoo

Hi Bill-Cathy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You need to check you unit, some are coming with a better tire now. If yours does have the Tomax, try to work out something with the dealer before you take delivery.

Do a good PDI when you pickup your new unit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

silvasp

Can someone explain to me why regular car or truck tires cannot be used? It would seem they would be safer than putting a trailer tire on.

Skywrench

Full Timer
Can someone explain to me why regular car or truck tires cannot be used? It would seem they would be safer than putting a trailer tire on.

As far as I know, you can put a truck tire on as long as it fits the size requirements you need and meets or exceeds the weight requirements.

jnbhobe

There are a lot of choices in LT tires, do your home work and there are many that meet or excede your needs

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I used Michelin AT LT tires on my Alfa Gold 5er for years. They are an E rated 16 inch tire and I ran the same tires on my 1999 Ford F350 pickup. Never ever had any issues with them and the Alfa weighed in at 16400 and had 3 axles. My understanding is the ST trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall due to the side scrubbing that trailers cause on the tires when backing. Regular truck tires sidewall is not as stiff.

Jim.Allison

IMHO--It is a myth that you cannot use LT tires on a trailer. And no matter how hard the tire dealers try, there is no comparison between an ST and an LT. LT tires of the same weight rating will outweigh STs in materials every time. A LT service factor is greater than an ST service factor as well. G614s are an LT tire.

Rschremp

If one tire goes bad is it a problem to replace it with a different brand tire. Tomax for Michelin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

I used Michelin AT LT tires on my Alfa Gold 5er for years. They are an E rated 16 inch tire and I ran the same tires on my 1999 Ford F350 pickup. Never ever had any issues with them and the Alfa weighed in at 16400 and had 3 axles. My understanding is the ST trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall due to the side scrubbing that trailers cause on the tires when backing. Regular truck tires sidewall is not as stiff.
Actually it's just the opposite. ST tires have a very flimsy sidewall. Comparing them to the sidewall on a LT tire makes them look like a bicycle tire. The difference in weight between the two is considerable. The LT tire maybe as much as 10-20# heavier. I have Michelin XPS Ribs on my BC and they have been trouble free for almost 4 years and probably 25-30,000 miles...Don

Kam0923

Thanks everyone for the information. We have a 2015 Cyclone with less than 8000 miles and had 3 blowouts on our last trip from PA to Myrtle Beach. Always check the pressures and have a tire monitor system. Blew our fender off and did a lot of metal damage. Going with an LT tire as you recommend. Also calling Towmax just because...