I ran out of Landing Gear Fuses

Schultz14

Please excuse me while I beat the landing gear fuse subject to near death with my landing gear crank.</SPAN>
We’ve had our Sundance 3100ES for a little over 2 years now. Up until this year the only time I had trouble with the landing gear was when I retracted it too high. I put a marker stripe on the legs to help me stop before I get to the MAX up position and did not blow a fuse again, until this spring. When extending the gear to hitch up this spring I blew a fuse. Then unhitching at the campground I blew a fuse. So when we returned home I took the Sundance to the local shop/dealer to have it looked at. We also had trouble with our 12 volt system on the same trip. When I picked the Sundance up they had replaced the inverter but they couldn't find anything wrong with the landing gear. It worked fine for them. I hitched up and towed home. While unhitching I blew a fuse. I told myself maybe the battery is not fully charged (although I was still connected to the truck). This past week end we went camping again and sure enough, blew a fuse hitching and unhitching at the campground. I learned how to use the hand crank on this trip. Worked good, very smooth. But I prefer the electric motor. I searched the forum here and have found SEVERAL posts on the subject and a few different approaches to fixing it. I really don’t expect the dealer to do anything more than replace the 30amp fuse and tell me it's good to go. I’d like to replace the 30amp fuse with a resettable circuit breaker. It doesn’t fix the problem but it would be easier to deal with for right now.</SPAN>
And I know Lippert builds the chassis.</SPAN>
Searching the internet I see that all brands having similar problems. Just trying to get an idea on what to try first. My question is, what’s the latest on landing gear fuses blowing on Heartland Landing Gear? Any advice besides dismantling the legs and lubing them or installing a second motor?</SPAN>
I will leave on a high note. If you have never had trouble with your landing gear I’m happy for you. But if you ever do have trouble with it and have to use the crank you will be pleased with how well it works. It’s a good back up.</SPAN>
augie</SPAN>

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you take a look at the landing gear legs, you will notice that there is a cover on top that just snaps into place.
Remove that cover and pour some oil in there. This will give you some lubrication that may be needed.
Lubrication may not be your problem, but it's a place to start.

Peace
Dave

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Are you blowing fuses mid stream? The legs should to be marked/striped about 1/2" before full extend and full retract points.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 30amp fuse might be a little small. I would get a 30 breaker and install it. One thing you should do is, find out how many amps the gear draws while operating. If the wiring is big enough (12 ga) install a 40 amp breaker.

GOTTOYS

I read somewhere not to use a circuit breaker as it didn't kick out as fast as a fuse and you could damage the motor. Having said that...I installed a circuit breaker in place of my fuse. I got one with the blade terminals that plugs in like a fuse. No more need for fuses. I do watch and try not to bottom out the gear but in case I miss I don't have to worry. I don't think it has kicked out since I put it in...Just sayin..Don

danemayer

I'm not an electrician, but I think low voltage or loose connections will cause more the motor to draw more amperage. That could be why it blows the fuse. Is your battery voltage above 12V?

Bob&Patty

Low battery voltage/amps will cause the fuse to blow. Dirty battery cables, loose cables, low water level in battery, bad or loose ground will cause this. Something is drawing more that 30amps.

Speedy

The 30 amp fuses are "too sensitive" and blow all the time, I went threw nearly as many as you that I was buying them in boxes of 25. Then I decided to change it along with the 50 amp circuit breaker for the slides that trips in colder weather. So I ordered a 30 amp breaker just like the 50 amp slide breaker and a large manual reset 80 amp breaker. The plan was to swap out the 50 am slide breaker and install the new 30 amp landing gear breaker in its place on the bus bar. The 80 amp slide breaker was too large to install near the old location so I installed it just inside the compartment door so I could easily reset it if I had to.

So far neither have tripped and all my issues with fuses are gone.

Subdrv

I=v/r current= volts divided by resistence
if fuse blows volts have to go up or resistence has to go down.

Jimmy

Always try to be plugged into 110 volts or plugged into your tow vehicle with it running, this give you a full 12 volt power with no lag...

Schultz14

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping Heartland would have something to say too. I'm going to CW tomorrow and see about getting a 30 amp circuit breaker.
Danemayer, yes the battery is fully charged. Although it could have some bad cells now that I think about it. We didn't have any other 12 volt issues though the 4 days we were gone.
Thanks again guys!

Bob&Patty

You can get circuit breakers at any auto parts store. Take the old fuse with you so you get the right size (spades).

caissiel

In 20 years I have never had a fuse blew on my front landing gear. On this big country I notice that the landing gears were running hard I took it apart to grease it but found the center place was causing the gears to climb, so I created a plate to keep it centered.
I have done that on all 3 of my fifth wheels so far. I usually test the landing gear friction by using the manual crank and if the manual crank is hard to turn there is a mechanical problem.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Schultz14

Just to update this thread, our Landing Gear is back in working order. I picked the Sundance up last week from our local shop. They installed a new motor. Let’s hope it lasts 10 years instead of a year and a half.
For general information, when the RV dealer called to tell me that we needed a new motor they also told me that the Landing Gear System wasn’t covered under our extended warranty. I told them to go ahead with the repair anyway. After looking at our warranty paperwork I called them (Nationwide I think). They told me “leveling jacks” were covered but not :landing gear”. However their pamphlet has a picture of a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel with arrows pointing to all the items that are covered. It has an arrow pointing at the landing gear, only the text at the end of the arrow says “leveling jacks”. So we were covered, it just took a few phone calls. It just bugged me that the dealer didn’t stand up for me. So, don’t give up if they tell you it’s not covered.
I can’t wait for summer!
augie

Schultz14

We it’s been a busy summer but we finally got to take the Sundance out a couple of weeks ago and we still have a problem. Getting the 5er off the truck went well, but trying to level it was another story. I tried short bursts with maybe a 20 second rest between switch hits, but nothing worked. I called the local shop as soon as we go back and couldn’t get an appointment to bring it in until today. I’m starting to feel like they're not going to be able to fix this problem. But maybe they’ll find something this time. If they do I’ll post it here.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We it’s been a busy summer but we finally got to take the Sundance out a couple of weeks ago and we still have a problem. Getting the 5er off the truck went well, but trying to level it was another story. I tried short bursts with maybe a 20 second rest between switch hits, but nothing worked. I called the local shop as soon as we go back and couldn’t get an appointment to bring it in until today. I’m starting to feel like they're not going to be able to fix this problem. But maybe they’ll find something this time. If they do I’ll post it here.
Sounds like it may be the UP/DN switch. Mine acted like that and all I did was spray electrical contact cleaner in the outside switch. Also clean the ground connection near the switch/ motors.

57chevyconvt

Not to divert attention away from the electrical problem, i.e., blown fuses, but do you have one of the plastic housing reduction gear boxes that drives the landing gear legs? I replaced mine with an upgraded aluminum housing from Lippert at their recommendation. BTW there is a direct replacement gear box on the market for about half the price that is identical to the one that is supplied by Lippert, cannot remember the name of the manufacturer. If Bill McKnight reads this post, he can provide more helpful information on the mechanical aspect of the landing gear leg problems and the recommended modifications or fixes.