Ice maker Question

Suestier

We have RV'd for years but this is our first Bighorn. Love all the upgrades and build quality. One thing I have never had in an RV is an Ice Maker. Some of the Questions I have to those of you that have them. Do you use some form of filtration? We always use bottled water when we RV. Is it something you love or feel you could do without? Would be grateful for any feed back.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Suestier and welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.
We have an ice maker and love it. I do have an inline filter on the icemaker feed line. We still drink bottled water, as we do not have a water dispenser.
Depending on the size of the freezer, some people have opted to remove the icemaker to gain freezer space.

Peace
Dave

boatdoc

We needed all the storage in the freezer we could get so I took the ice maker out. We already had a counter top, stand alone ice maker and it has worked out great. Shouldn't the normal filter that goes outside before the city water connect be enough?

ParkIt

If you connect in a filter to the ice maker and kitchen it's a heck of a lot nicer when getting water and easy enough to change depending on how often you use it.
When I got our unit one of the first things I did was to splice in a filter in the kitchen behind the trash bin drawer, there is plenty of space there and I can run a line to a stand alone if I want though I'm thinking of going small residential on all the appliances next year.

hoefler

I installed a Reverse Osmosis drinking system in ours. There is a hidden space under the kitchen sink in our Landmark that I hid it in. Then ran a water line to the faucet on the sink and to the ice maker in the fridge. It will make a gallon of water in no time. A lot less weight than hauling bottled water, and paid for itself in a year.

Suestier

Thanks so much for the info. Once we get our rig we will check out under the sink. If not we will try the in line with the outside hose. My husband is Lstierw you will see us post from time to time. We are excited to be a part of this forum.

PUG

Pug
I put in a dual filter in the main storage basement area close to the utility closet so all water coming into trl is filtered. We had been using a pitcher filter but it took up room in the frig and was a bit of a slow pain. For ice I purchased the smaller of the two portable ice makers from Camping world and set it down under the kitchen sink where it is easy to fill it from the sink and easy to dump the ice in the freezer. The ice maker is normally 200$ but was just on sale at 149$.