If You've Installed Monroe 555001 Shocks...

rxbristol

During our spring excursion, I had a tire valve stem start leaking. While putting on the spare I saw oil on the springs and noticed it was from the Monroe RV shock 555001. O'Reilly's Auto had one delivered the next day and I installed it. During your inspections you may want to check the shocks.

IMG_20160319_081615190.jpg

What I find interesting is that the tire with the bad shock was the one with the leaking valve stem. I wonder if the extra vibration caused the valve stem nut to vibrate loose. I contacted Trailer Tires and Wheels and they stated the torque value for the stems are 24-45 inch pounds.

mlpeloquin

I just installed the Monroe shocks. After I found what was left of the old original bushings, I plan to keep a closer eye on them. I get under at least twice an year to grease the suspension bolts, and once a year I remove, inspect, and re-grease the bearings. At some point I am going to get too old for this.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
IMO save your money!! After our return from AK last summer I too noticed the rubber bushings on the OEM shocks were cracked etc. So I drank the Kool-Aid and bought 4 of those Monroe shocks. After last falls trip down to SC and back this is the result...
bd2356021c784275c47df79797b442d1.jpg

The 2 on the rear axle have already failed! On top of that I feel no real change to the quality of the RV's towing or the truck's ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Well I will keep an eye on them. I did notice a difference. If they fail, I will get the Joy Rider shocks and mounts. I hope within a year to get the Trailair Center Point suspension.

rxbristol

IMO save your money!! After our return from AK last summer I too noticed the rubber bushings on the OEM shocks were cracked etc. So I drank the Kool-Aid and bought 4 of those Monroe shocks. After last falls trip down to SC and back this is the result...
bd2356021c784275c47df79797b442d1.jpg

The 2 on the rear axle have already failed! On top of that I feel no real change to the quality of the RV's towing or the truck's ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your post. I'll continue to monitor and see what happens. Also, until you get your upgrade any Monroe dealer (not chain store) will exchange the bad shocks for new ones if it's within two years.

Last edited:

rxbristol

Well, installed the new shock and traveled another 150 miles of which about 40 miles was on a rough road--three of the four shocks are now bad...REALLY?

mlpeloquin

Wow! Well in three weeks from now I am going on a trip to Las Vegas over California's well used interstates. I will inspect when I get to Vegas and again when I get back. Might be getting the Joy Rider sooner than I expect. -- Not gambling, just visiting my parents.