Monroe Shocks 555001 vs 555025

rxbristol

I've read all the shocks treads and those that have replaced their shocks with Monroe's have used the 555001, but I read on the Amazon reviews that for rigs over 10K the 555025 should be used. I have a Landmark San Antonio and all the shock rubber grommets have dry rotted and I want to replace the shocks, but not sure which one. Any advice?

Greengas

No answer on the shock issue but I was wondering, are you going too fix this under warranty? . Your info says that you have a 2014 model I'm sure that it's not normal for your issue to pop up in a little over a year. I've got the same year make and model rig as you so I'm so I'm going to follow this thread very closely.

rxbristol

No answer on the shock issue but I was wondering, are you going too fix this under warranty? . Your info says that you have a 2014 model I'm sure that it's not normal for your issue to pop up in a little over a year. I've got the same year make and model rig as you so I'm so I'm going to follow this thread very closely.

I guess that replacing the shocks under warranty would require me to take it to a dealership and it would be replaced with like-equipment and I want to upgrade. Since replacing shocks is a relatively easy task, inconvenience = DIY. The shocks would cost me less than $150. The current rubber bushings are in terrible shape...very low grade material.

Jim.Allison

I've read all the shocks treads and those that have replaced their shocks with Monroe's have used the 555001, but I read on the Amazon reviews that for rigs over 10K the 555025 should be used. I have a Landmark San Antonio and all the shock rubber grommets have dry rotted and I want to replace the shocks, but not sure which one. Any advice?

By rubber is also shot, I don't think its dry rot, my rig is new and it looks like they have been hammered to ruination. But what ever you do, you can go to summit and buy universal POLY URETHAN grommets. They are not called grommets but I can't remember what they are actually called. Go to summit and search "universal urethane shocks" and you will find the grommets you are looking for. 1 kit for each shock about 6 bucks each.

Gary521

I agree with Jim (above ). Just replace the grommets. However, if you still want to replace the shocks, the difference in the shocks is the total length, not so much in the weight factor between the different model numbers.

rxbristol

I agree with Jim (above ). Just replace the grommets. However, if you still want to replace the shocks, the difference in the shocks is the total length, not so much in the weight factor between the different model numbers.

Thanks, I will take one off this weekend and measure it. I found the shocks on the Monroe web site. I also talked to a Monroe engineer and he did not recommend the urethane bushings because of the increased noise and vibration factors.

rxbristol

Shocks Not Installed Properly

In my previous thread post, I was trying to decide which Monroe shocks to install (555001 or 555025), so I went to take one off, to measure it, and found out that the left side shocks were never connected to the bottom plate!
2014-06-21 19.09.00.jpg 2014-06-21 19.08.03.jpg

I also noticed the electrical break wires are not secured and unprotected in critical chafe points.

As I try to seal the underbelly to prevent rodent and insect entrance, I can tell where different people have worked on the rig...some have done the job correctly while others did not care.

BTW, it looks like Monroe shock 555001 is the best fit.

jimtoo

Re: Shocks Not Installed Properly

Rex, I merged the threads to keep all the info together since it's about the same thing.
Jim M

Jim.Allison

Funny about experts, when I was selling mechanical power transmission and industrial supplies, one of my customers asked me what the definition of an expert was. I said "I don't know," To that he replied it's a salesman more than 5 miles from home carrying a briefcase. It is funny that Monroe marketing guy tell you that urethane eye-bushings are not appropriate for the application but yet his company uses them on their higher end and performance shocks. Urethane comes in durometers just like rubber, 60 duro rubber is the same as 60 duro urathane, difference is one cannot be hacked to pieces and the other can. Get the urathane you will be glad you did.

rxbristol

Thanks, I will get some for the new shocks. I researched the shock I took off (the one that was not connected) and found out it is the same shock that is standard on tent campers. The shock is VERY easy to move in and out...it seems appropriate for a tent trailer.

Hunter11

I purchased a set of the Monroe 555001 shocks that Rex ordered. I decided to swap them out today when I got home. The stock shocks had 1400 miles on them and one had no resistance at all and two others the bottom nuts were only hand tight. To swap them all out took me less than an hour. When comparing the Monroe shocks to the stock the Monroe's are a lot better shock. When looking at the shocks while swapping them out I have to wonder just how well they work considering the angle they are mounted. I would suggest everyone check your shocks and make sure the nuts are tight even if you do not replace them. It will be a few weeks before we head out again to see how well they work.

rxbristol

I installed the new Monroe shocks today along with Summit urethane bushings. Every shock I pulled off was shot--they would not extend after pushing the shock in. The Monroe shocks are a significant upgrade/fix. As Keith stated, it's an easy job that takes about an hour.

2014-07-04 08.52.10.jpg

rxbristol

may I ask where did you get the bushing?

I bought the bushings from summitracing.com. Part number ENS-9-8104R. The "R" is for red, you can buy the bushings in black. There are a lot of places that stock this bushing, but for some reason very few had the amount I needed--8 packages (2 bushings per package).

rxbristol

I also recommend a nylon (lock nut) on the bottom bayonet mount. It seems, from other multiple posts, that the bottom nut has a tendency to vibrate loose. You can buy this nut from Lowes for less than 20 cents a piece. You need a 3/8 inch 16 hex nut that has the nylon insert. I just added it with the other nut...there is no way it will ever come loose.

Hunter11

I went with the black bushings Rex is talking about. He also has a good idea on installing nylon lock nuts on top of the shock nuts. When I changed my stock shocks for the Monroe's the two shocks on the off door side bottom nuts were hand tight. It would not have been long before those would have come off.