I'm out of here, enjoy your Heartland RVs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosty

4 months out of warranty and $4,000 in repairs.... I'm an unhappy camper.

I have a 2012 Cyclone 3010 HD Edition which I purchased new from LaMesa RV in Tucson in mid-December 2011. We have had numerous warranty repairs to this vehicle on a reoccurring basis, and it has been into the shop at least 6 times for warranty repairs over the past year. These repairs consisted of a bad tire, interior wall panels falling off, interior and exterior trim failures, tail light coming off, ceiling light falling off, the bathroom sink coming loose, bed pedestal coming apart, awning separating from the trailer, etc., etc. Then on my last camping trip in February, the rear gray tank valve would not close. I called LaMesa in Mesa, AZ, but they could not get me in until this week for repairs.

When I arrived with my trailer on Monday 4/15/13 I noticed the living room slide out had come out about an inch. I noticed a few other times that happened as well over the past few months and I thought perhaps my wife did not retract it all the way when we left the campground.

Now this $65,000 RV is only out of warranty by only 4 months, but I agreed to pay out of pocket for the gray tank valve repair understanding that this was going to cost me a couple hundred dollars. The service adviser advised that he noticed the slide out and felt it may be a hydraulic valve bleeding down and he would have it checked out and let me know.

My service adviser called me today to advise that the whole gray valve would need to be replaced at a cost of $400. He further advised that the hoses on both slide outs are leaking and it was going to cost well over $2,500 to repair. He said He called Heartland customer service center and they would not touch it because it is 4 months out of warranty.

I could understand this response had the unit been 4 or 5 years old, but the unit still smells new, looks new, and the last time I brought it in for warranty work, they told me to take in back where the new inventory was, as they thought it was a new delivery. And this is a failure of a major component, only a little over a year old.

The bottom line here is if I can’t have confidence in the unit that the major components will not fail shortly after the warranty runs out, then I will trade this unit on a competitors unit. I bought this unit because I had confidence in Heartland RVs. I have heard wonderful things about their customer service center and I hope you can provide some assistance here. As a consumer I find this totally unfair. Up to this point I could live with the minor previous repairs, but this is the last straw if nothing is done.

Thank you,
John O’Hair-Schattenberg
Chandler, AZ

2012 Heartland Cyclone HD Edition

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: 4 months out of warranty and $4,000 in repairs.... I'm an unhappy camper.

John,

I'm sorry you're having these problems, but I can't imagine why 2 leaking hydraulic hoses would cost $2500 to repair. I'd suggest you get a 2nd opinion.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, sorry to hear of your problems, but I agree with Dan on the $2400 price tag.
New hydraulic hose cost $6.12 per foot plus $5.08 per fitting. This is a Lippert price so I think you could do better at a hydraulic shop.
I also find it strange that the hoses are leaking on both slides.
Have you seen any evidence of hydraulic fluid under your rig?
Not having seen your rig, if both slideouts are loosing pressure, it sounds more like a bad hydraulic cylinder. About a $250 part.
$400 sounds kinda steep for a $15 waste gate.
As previously mentioned, a second opinion would be on my list.
None of these projects should take more than a half day to repair.

Peace
Dave

Pizzaguy

I would agree on the second opinion. The $400.00 for the grey valve is robbery also.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I also would recommend finding a good independent repair shop.

The prices you were quoted seem way out of line. Trace

oscar

Once again I am glad I'm a tool guy. I can't begin to think how I would do all this without. That's owning an RV, house, car......

Folks, when you plopped out you learned to talk because that's how you communicate..... I recommend everyone learns to fix things..... no really.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

John, 1st of all. Did you call HL service yourself?? I would not take a service advisors word for anything unless he can show whats leaking and why. This guy gets paid by what he sells or screws you out of. Call HL yourself and explain whats happened. Remember, be calm and ask for help and you just might get some.

TeJay

You've gotten good advice. Think about the hydraulic leak. If you have one pump that provides pressure to a system when a leak develops in the system you have much less pressure in other areas of the system for another leak to occur. Because of its age it's unlikely that after one hose started leaking that there would be enough pressure to create another leak. I think you are getting a good snow job. Get another opinion and have them show you the leaking hoses.

TeJay

kkamshop

Agree with the advice given already, just wanted to add... it is ok to call the manufacturer of the hydraulic system as well - could be the warranty on it is still good. Again, be calm and have your VIN # when you call.

Once again I am glad I'm a tool guy. I can't begin to think how I would do all this without. That's owning an RV, house, car......

Folks, when you plopped out you learned to talk because that's how you communicate..... I recommend everyone learns to fix things..... no really.

This is true! It's time to at least get down there and find out what the problems are before calling around asking for help/advice. The first thing they'll ask is what the problem is. I removed a leaking slide hose (self-inflicted) and took it to have it fixed. $12 was my bill. It really isn't very difficult to do once you get down there and figure it out. If you need to remove the hose be sure to attach a nylon rope to it so you can fish it back thru. Can't imagine that the hose needs replaced.

As for the gate valve, there may be something stuck in it that prevents it from closing. Just take it apart and find out. As Dave said it's about $15, or $70 if there is a cable attached. Again, that's if it needs replacement.

It is very frustrating to think that a newer rig needs these types of things fixed, but that's the reality we all face.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

I blew a hydraulic hose on my previous 5th wheel and repaired it myself. It took 10' of new hose and fittings and a couple of quarts of hydraulic oil to fix. I got everything from a local business that made the hose in their shop for me. The total cost was $75 and an hr of my time. The price you were quoted seems ridiculous to me.

Dave49

I have read of many problems from that particular deaalership. I do not know for a fact just what I read. But you have been given the right advice here. Go look at what they are talking about at the dealership so you know what your talking about and the specific problems and call HL yourself. They have always been pretty good as far as the best help they can give.

Dave

mikeandconnie

I would love to see pictures of the leaking hoses and where there located.

Lynn1130

I won't trash any particular dealer but will tell you that many times their shop rate is $30 to $100 an hour higher than independent shops that do as good or better repair with no where near the wait. You do not say where in AZ you are but if you are in the Phoenix area send me a PM and I will give you the name of a shop I have used since purchase.

wdk450

I looked on RVServiceReviews.com for servicers in Mesa, and saw about 7 listed. Also, Heartland Service has a list of 3rd party servicers they have used with success in areas all around the U.S. Just call the service line and ask. Any local servicer you call should be able to give you a non-binding, ballpark figure for your repair.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders

John, after taking our unit out of storage one year, driving down the road I noticed in my mirror that the large slide had come out about an ince. I pulled over and pulled the slide in and it has never done it again. Do you know if this happens a lot or is it a one time occurance?
Doug

navyAZ1

Contact Lippert, the slideouts themselves have longer warranty. I can say that I had to change the actuator on our main slide (due to my own screw up) a dealer wanted $900 to change the actuator, I purchased the new acutator from Lippert and installed it myself for less than $300. Good Luck.

Ron

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I second the call Lippert. The warranty on many individual components in the RV have a longer than 1 year warranty.

TXTiger

Just a thought. Even thought the Heartland 1 year warranty is over the manufacturer of the system may have a longer warranty.

Bosty

After experiencing over $5,000 in critical component failures to my 2012 Cyclone 3010 HD edition only 4 months out of warranty, and $10,000 damage due to tire failures, I got "ZERO" customer support out of Heartland. I have traded this monster off on a competitor's product and I am once again a happy camper. Heartland, you talk a good game but when it comes time for the rubber to meet the road, you failed miserably. Good luck Heartland owners, your going to need it!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.