In-Line water filter

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
On our new LM365 Newport, there is an in-line culligan water filter in the basement right behind the UDC. Has anyone had problems getting this water filter off? I have tried several times to unscrew the base, to the point I was afraid I was going to break it or rip it off the bracket, but cannot get it to budge. I've just about given up trying, but thought I'd ask "the experts" out there before I do.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
On our new LM365 Newport, there is an in-line culligan water filter in the basement right behind the UDC. Has anyone had problems getting this water filter off? I have tried several times to unscrew the base, to the point I was afraid I was going to break it or rip it off the bracket, but cannot get it to budge. I've just about given up trying, but thought I'd ask "the experts" out there before I do.

Try a "strap wrench". Lowes-$10. I use one to remove my household filter housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When you do finally get it apart , coat the threads with Vaseline before putting back together.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You should have the filter canister wrench that came with your LM365, put it on the canister and put some force on the wrench and at the same start hitting the top edge of the canister with a small hammer tapping it all the way around it should start moving.

klindgren

Thanks for your suggestions. I have the filter wrench that came with the camper, but I still can't get the unit to budge. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the wrench in fear of tearing the mounting bracket off the ceiling. I didn't try hitting the top with a hammer as I'm turning so next time I crawl into the basement, I'll give that a try. I'm just about ready to disconnect the water lines and remove the whole unit from the camper to try to get it loose. For those of you who know me, I'm not a small person and trying to work in the confined space of the basement is not one of my favorite past times.

wdk450

Maybe you could tap the filter wrench with a hammer to get the impact driver effect to break the filter housing loose. Remember to turn the housing counterclockwise looking up from the bottom.

Or maybe you could tow it back to the dealer and ask them to show you how to do it.

klindgren

Maybe you could tap the filter wrench with a hammer to get the impact driver effect to break the filter housing loose. Remember to turn the housing counterclockwise looking up from the bottom.

Or maybe you could tow it back to the dealer and ask them to show you how to do it.

Thanks Bill. I know I'm very un-mechanical and 10 thumbs when it comes to doing things (I look at some of the mods that Jesstalkn has done and wish I could do 1/3 of them) but I'd hate to think I was so inept that I'd have to pull my rig back to the dealer just to unscrew the water filter.

wdk450

Kieth and Carol:
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
How are things in the Great Dismal Swamp? I was stationed at Naval Security Group Activity Chesapeake in the early 1970's, the kingpin of the worldwide Navy HFDF net. I understand it is now a Coast Guard training station. There were great expanses of farm land/swamp when I was there, I understand that there are big auto manufacturing plants and urban sprawl throughout the area now.