In the planning and researching stage for retirement

bwdunn

We do not have a fifth wheel yet. We are in the planning stage of upcoming retirement and researching RVs. We first looked at DP motorhomes but decided that a fifth wheel offered more of what we want in living space. I'm retired and my wife will retire Oct 2015. It seems so far off right now but I'm sure it will go fast. We want to take our dog, Bailey, a toy poodle and leave the cold winters in Nebraska to go south and stay about 6 months, long enough to avoid tornado weather in the spring. Come back to NE to be close to family in summer and fall, take a few trips north, and take the grandkids on a trip. We haven't decided if we should sell our home but we hate to leave it empty that long. Thinking about full time for awhile and then part time but still not sure. After researching fifth wheels, we decided that a Heartland Landmark is what we want. Still looking at floor plans. We like the San Antonio, Savannah, Key Largo, and Grand Canyon. We need to go to a show or dealer in another state. We haven't found a Landmark Dealer in NE to check out the different floor plans. We joined this forum to view others opinions for when we finally buy, to meet new people, everyone sounds so friendly, and attend the rallies.. Thank you all for your opinions and comments, this has been so helpful!!

jimtoo

Hi bwdunn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You can call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032. They can give you a location that is closest to you to go and look at which ever unit you want to see.

OR,,check the portal page of the forum and on the lower right side you will see where rallies will be soon. I'm sure you would be welcome at a rally to talk to the Heartland owners and even tour some of the units. The Landmark is the best and we have great customer support.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Welcome! We have been fulltime for nine years now...six of those in a Heartland Bighorn, and now in a 2013 Key Largo. We love everything about this floor plan even after a year and a half in it! Enjoy your search....hope to see you at some rallies!

aatauses

It took us about two years of planning and searching, so take your time and ask all the questions you can. We went to two major RV shows that had all the models (too many) to look at and inspect. We also contacted several owners and then decided on a Bighorn and have been happy with it, fulltiming for the last 5 years. HL customer service is the greatest, have not heard anyone else come close.
Feel free to ask all the question you have--this is a great bunch of people and someone will have great advice for you
al
currently in ND

Garypowell

I would like to make the assumption that you have "camped" before but can't. If you have then you know some of the challenges ahead of less than normal space for you and storage.

If you have not I would rent something for a week and see how you like it. I have only seen smaller class C's for rent. Not the perfect unit if you are thinking of a 5th wheel....but better than nothing.

You also need to be able to fix things yourself. Some units seem to come off the line just fine but others seem to be rambling wrecks by the time they are picked up. Read over Hunter11's recent threads as he seems to have one of those coaches with multiple problems. He seems to be handling it well but work through in your mind how will you react.

There are some here who get upset that a screw has come loose and complain that they have to take it back to the dealership.....these folks should not have bought a unit. You have to be able to turn that screw yourself!

We are on our 5th 5th wheel and only had one with a persistent but livable problem. And I think most are like us but even so there is a never ending supply of things to fix.

Back to experience.....Linda and I camped one weekend the first year we were married. Then with no other experience 26 years later we bought a 38' 5th wheel....... Sold everything and moved from a 2,500 sq ft house and full timed it for almost 3 years so it is possible.....but we had a few interesting lessons along the way!

So think it all though and stop at an RV park or two and talk personally to real people...then jump in

bwdunn

Yes I have camped, years ago when my boys were small in a pop up camper. Enjoyed it but sold it when there were too many sporting activities on the weekends.
We have looked at renting, it seems expensive, and your right about Class C's for rent
I read Hunter11 posts about his AC and fridge in his 2015 Grand Canyon. I hope everything gets straightened out. He is handling it well because it made me feel a little uneasy reading about the problems with his coach. I'm not sure I would have as much patience. So that is something I need to keep in mind when a problem arises.
We spoke with a few people who have traveled by a fifth wheel or a motorhome and they really seemed to like it. I know there will be challenges along the way. This forum is great because it's so interesting reading others posts. Thanks for your advice!

bwdunn

We really do need to go to a big RV show and check out the fifth wheels.
So glad to hear that Heartland has good customer service!
Thanks for the advice!

bwdunn

Yes, we are hoping to go to some rallies after we buy a Heartland coach.
We like the Key Largo floor plan too, we need to get inside of one at a RV show or we may be taking a tour of the factory.
Thanks!