Installation of 'pass-through' for antenna coax cables.

tomn2t

I am an amateur radio operator who recently purchased a 2011 BH3410RE. I would like to install one hole through the rear wall, beneath the window, above the desktop, and in the vicinity of the ladder. I would like to install a section of PVC pipe to serve as a 'feed through' to run approximately 3 runs of antenna coax into the coach. These would provide antenna hookups for HF & VHF radio equipment and a scanner.

I want to be certain to avoid any framework and wiring in the wall so would appreciate any information and suggestions on avoiding them. I also would like information on techniques to use in drilling through the fiberglass exterior in order to avoid any damage. Thank you.

2010augusta

here is a similar thread, it might give you some ideas.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11181-Hope-you-don’t-mind-Jim-B.-–-I-borrowed-this?

tomn2t

Thanks for your quick reply Alan. That was interesting but in my case I want to take a more direct route through the rear cap.

K

karykatz

tomn2t,

Please reed advice form our production manager. I hope this helps.

I would say, center of ladder, a couple of inches below window should be safe. We have changed the framing recently but I feel if he stays closer to window rather than the counter top, he should be safe.
There is a stud about 14" from sidewall so center of ladder should miss that.
As far as drilling through glass...i would start inside, drill through panel and drill just the pilot bit through the cap and then go outside and come through. We drill these caps all day with hole-saws and have no problems.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would add one thing to Kary's answer. Use masking tape on the outside when drilling and wear some rubber gloves. Fiberglass can be very itchy. Wash it off your hands with COLD water. BTW, if you are drilling from the inside to the outside of the cap.....your going to need a LONG drill bit. Find out what the drill size is on the hole saw 1st before you drill. If you drill a bigger hole 1st than the hole saw drill size........the hole will wobble all over and not make a clean cut. If you are planning to use a piece of PCV pipe, you might want to drill a few drain hole in the bottom of the pipe just in case it gets water in it. That way the water wont enter the coach. JMHO and 2cts

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
tomn2t,
Please make sure you take some pictures before, during and after. I am sure others will be interested in seeing your progress.

Good luck,
Mark

tomn2t

I want to thank you all for your valuable and usefull advice. Now, all that I need is some courage and a little time to work on it. I will followup with pictures when done. Thanks again. Tom