Intermittant hot water

RNMAJ

Took my Greystone out for a few days after the winter/spring cold and at the site we had only electric no city water supply. The water heater was turned on and I believe all the valves turned in the correct direction and we never got any steady hot water, hot faucet would be cold then lukewarm then hot for about 3 seconds then cold again. The propane tanks were 3/4 full and there is gas to the control valve, but no propane ignition, if there is a propane switch, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi RNMAJ,

If you got hot water at times, the water heater is probably producing hot water. Check the outside shower to see if maybe the valves are open allowing the hot and cold water to mix producing luke-warm water.

danemayer

If all you ever get is 2 or 3 seconds of hot water after the trailer sits for a while, maybe it's sun heated water coming from the hose and the water heater never comes on.

If you're consistently getting cold water after the water runs for a few seconds, take a look at our Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide, starting on page 11.

wdk450

Many people have had problems in the water wiring box where it is connected to the trailer's wiring system. Specifically problems with the wirenut connectons there.

Just covering all the bases, you did have the water heater AC circuit breaker on, the red switch on, and the little black switch outside in the heater access panel on?

Do you have a voltmeter or non-contact voltage tester to test if the water heater element is getting power?

Another thing to try, just to eliminate other plumbing problems, is to try heating on propane.

pegmikef

Took my Greystone out for a few days after the winter/spring cold and at the site we had only electric no city water supply. The water heater was turned on and I believe all the valves turned in the correct direction and we never got any steady hot water, hot faucet would be cold then lukewarm then hot for about 3 seconds then cold again. The propane tanks were 3/4 full and there is gas to the control valve, but no propane ignition, if there is a propane switch, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

You say you had electricity. Did you try running the HW heater on 120 Volts? It doesn't use propane on 120 Volts.

RNMAJ

Yes the "electric W/H" switch was on and lit up the switch, when I turned it off with the propane tanks on, there was no fire to the heater, the furnace worked fine. I'll check the wire nut connections. Thanks.

Lou_and_Bette

While at Urbanna, the Texas RV Professor went to one of our member's rig because he was having trouble with his hot water. After all the testing and tweeking, the only possible problem had to be the small switch in the hot water heater compartment on the outside. When the switch was pulled out, there was no power on the coach side of the switch when in the "on" position. Wires were pulled off, maybe a little corrosion present, cleaned and wires replaced...wala, current was restored and hot water heater was working again. Something else to check

danemayer

Yes the "electric W/H" switch was on and lit up the switch, when I turned it off with the propane tanks on, there was no fire to the heater, the furnace worked fine. I'll check the wire nut connections. Thanks.

If electric was working, the water would have been hot and when switched to LP, the thermostat would not call for fire immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RNMAJ

In looking at the 5er yesterday and checking the valve positions, I don't think I had the valve which crosses from cold to hot behind the water heater turned cross wise to shut off the flow, I believe this is the bypass valve for winterizing, it was in line with the water line, not cross wise. So maybe I was getting a lot of cold water in the mix and thus the luke warm water with rare blasts of hot and then cold. I'll find out next trip out. The problem with only using my 5er 5-6X/year is I forget how stuff works, maybe early onset of "Old timers" disease.