Is Heartland Moving Away From Towmax??

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree that alignment can cause a serious wear problem for tires. But then, there would be a potential problem with every coach, and thus, it would be a problem worth throwing a warning label or instructions in the coach's generic manual, like: "Check axles for proper alignment after loading. Failure to do so may result in premature tire wear and significant risk of tire failure".

I don't think this is the cause of the majority of TowMax failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I still believe that the 'BlowMax' issue is a 5th-wheel trailer issue due to excessive weight as almost every single complaint seems to be from 5th-wheel trailers!

I don't have a 5th-wheel Heartland Travel Trailer.

That being said . . . I've got one more campout with my BlowMax's . . . and I will replace them this winter!

My new truck has Firestone Transforce HT tires . . . those seem to be bad@$$, so I think I will get five of those this winter for my Trail Runner!

Tallyrver

I just came from an Elkridge factory tour and the TowMax tires were on every unit. When asked the sales guy seemed to want to blame poor axel alignment as the cause of the tire failures which is why they are placing the correct track system on the units now. Can't say I was happy seeing so many 38 RSRT models rolling off the floor with TowMax tires, but Heartland is still happily building large units with TowMax tires. I can confirm that first hand after being on the factory floor - image from the start of the assembly line attached below:

so they say it's an alignment issue ,that's why they are installing the correct track system. I feel good because my rig has it installed.

Waite a min. I just had a Blowmax blowout with the correct track ...sup wit dat?

Wayne

Rob_Fla

We ran the Sailun S637 on our last 5th Wheel for 30k trouble free miles.

They are a heavyweight, well constructed tire.

Ours ran well in all conditions and wore very well.

I would not hesitate to buy the Sailun tire again.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I suspect that it also has to do with how fast the delivery trucks are racing down the interstate on tires rated for 65 MPH. I can't tell you how many times I have been past by these trucks with 5th wheels in tow. Some of them were going much faster than 75MPH. I also wonder how often tire pressure is checked before and during their delivery runs. Since tire damage can occur long before a blowout happens, It would seem that tires get over heated prior to delivery to the dealer and then are setup as ticking time bombs for unsuspecting customers. I would not waste money on getting different tires factory installed. I would wait until after I took delivery and then consider spending the money for good tires that I know have not been subjected to road abuse by delivery drivers.

Jim.Allison

Ditto, i believe this also, but I believe the Towmax to be an inferior tire as well, but the delivery scenario is valid and perhaps the main catalyst to the pop!

I suspect that it also has to do with how fast the delivery trucks are racing down the interstate on tires rated for 65 MPH. I can't tell you how many times I have been past by these trucks with 5th wheels in tow. Some of them were going much faster than 75MPH. I also wonder how often tire pressure is checked before and during their delivery runs. Since tire damage can occur long before a blowout happens, It would seem that tires get over heated prior to delivery to the dealer and then are setup as ticking time bombs for unsuspecting customers. I would not waste money on getting different tires factory installed. I would wait until after I took delivery and then consider spending the money for good tires that I know have not been subjected to road abuse by delivery drivers.

Jim.Allison

I don't believe axle alignment, load or any of that stuff. My Blowmax went at 1800, properly maintained, and inflated. Just like everyone elses. I weighed my rig and no single wheel is overloaded and well within the load range of the 16 inch Blowmax. My g114 are not showing any sign of alignment issues.

Jim.Allison

As it applies to my blowout and continued premature blowouts of Towmax tires. This excused offered up by a Heartland tour guide is not an adequate explanation for those losses of tires. It would be however a reason for a tire to blowout among a number of other problems.

What causes axle alignment issues?

I can show you how fast a G-614 wears out when you are out of alignment.

Jimsryker

I got my Blowmax tires off ASAP. Running the Goodyear G614's. They are brand new so too soon to tell, but I had two blow outs from "china bombs" on my other rig and I can attest to the damage it can do. I did not want to risk that with my new rig. Ironically, the spare had been used when I bought it so I suspect blow a out when it came out west. That was just more motivation to replace them once I rolled it off the lot.

jnbhobe

What causes axle alignment issues?

Just about everything you do to the drive line, jacking wrong, installation, potholes, hitting curbs, broken springs, worn parts, I recently wore out a tire in 1K miles from a bent spindle I never knew I had on my IS, Thanks to MORryde it is fixed now and aligned.