Is this dealer kidding me?!!

Skipper5

The DW and I went to a Heartland dealer last week to take another look at the BH 3610. We've had our eyes on this model for sometime now. I found one online at a dealer in Ohio, and was about $8k less than the dealer here in Texas. I showed the dealer here the web page, and he got in a bit of a huff. He explained that we could purchase from the Ohio dealer, but don't expect his dealership to honor any warranty repairs. He then backed up abit, and said he would work on it, but we might have to wait as long as six months. We are fulltimers, and depending on what was needed for repairs could displace us. I can't vision us living in a motel for six months. He said we could always hire a mobile repair guy. We would have to pay the first $75.00, and Heartland would pick up the rest. So, what if a slide needed removed? I can't imagine a guy in a van showing up to perform this task out in the open.
Is there anyone out there living/traveling full time in a Hearland product, and if so, had any problems getting warranty work done by a dealer other than the one you bought yours from?

We may have to go with another product, although we really like this one.

Thanks for all replies.

Skip

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Skip,

That actually happened to us with the local dealer here in SC. Only the dealer here hung the phone up on me.

Butch, From Rvs For Less was at the Eastern Rally last weekend. The same question came up as to warranty on the road, especially for FTers. He suggested calling HL first and let them find a dealer who could help you depending on the area you were in. That way the factory is involved and "breaks the ice" so to speak.

GOTTOYS

So do you want to spend 8k more on the chance that you MIGHT need some major warranty work done? If you are full-timers and you are traveling who would do the work for you then? I would think if the guy really wanted your business he would work with you on the price. I would buy from an out of state dealer next time in a heartbeat. I bought mine locally and the service isn't very good so what's the difference? There are plenty of dealers around that are smart enough to not turn away service work..not in this economy, the need to generate all the dollars they can..Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Skipper5... Although you don't want to risk or hassle with "warranty claims/issues" (and the warranty is part of the price/value), part of the process is to do a very, very detailed PDI. If it's of any comfort to you, we have had our trailer for 14 months ( used it app. 60 nights and 6,000 miles) and never had a reason to take it in for any repairs! It's a buyers market, take your time and get the best deal you can. Good luck with your decision.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I showed the dealer here the web page, and he got in a bit of a huff. He explained that we could purchase from the Ohio dealer, but don't expect his dealership to honor any warranty repairs.
Skip

This seems to be a very common argument with RV dealers. I do believe it is better to purchase local but in our case it just wasn’t prudent to do so. We received the save treatment “we won’t do your service work” if you purchase elsewhere. Unfortunately, their service department left a lot to be desired anyway.

We made a long-distance purchase and save 12K.

Another thing to remember is that all the vendor items like stove, AC, Refer etc all have a manufacturer warranty that most any RV dealer can service in or out of warranty.

If you have a reputable local dealer, try to use him but if not, I would not hesitate to buy long distance again. For us, it worked out great!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Skip, I have heard that we wont fix it story from dealers other than Heartland dealers.
If you are FT then you will be able to get your rig fixed wherever you are. But call Heartland first.
I live in WI and had a brake problem down in Rockport. I went to Camper Clinic and they said have it here on Friday. They fixed it and I was on my way. No problem.
There are a number of full timers here.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Seems like HL should back the buyer on this issue by saying give them speedy good service our they will pull there product and give it to someone that can take care of the buyer. JMHO

danemayer

We got the same story from a dealer in central Texas but the price differential was too big to ignore. We even offered to pay them a couple of thousand more but they wouldn't accept our offer. I spoke with Heartland Customer Service before buying in Indiana and they said while they encourage buyers to purchase from the local dealer, they would help us get service elsewhere locally if that dealer wasn't cooperating. They went so far to say that if necessary, they would authorize warranty repairs at a non-Heartland dealer. Turns out there are other authorized Heartland servicers in the area, including one in Buda, not far from the first dealer and a bit closer to us.

Rickhansen

We ordered ours via phone/internet from a dealer in Michigan and had it delivered to North Carolina. Never have had a warranty issue. I wouldn't be concerned, as you will always find someone to work on it if need be. They won't take 6 months to look at it, and Heartland will work out the repair with just about any dealer or reputable service provider. If your dealer won't work with you to get the sale, and won't provide service to someone who didn't for six months, I wouldn't be looking to do business with an extortionist anyway.

Also, if you are full-time, you possibly won't be near this dealer anyway.

Tough choice, I understand, and good luck with you decision.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind that Heartland will and does authorize non-Heartland repair centers to do warranty repairs on their RVs. So tell that Heartland dealer to shove it if he doesn't want to play ball. You can get it fixed elsewhere. Keep in mind Heartland will have to approve the repair whether it is a Heartland dealer or not.

HappyKayakers

I've been fulltiming in my BH since '06. Never had any problems with warranty work while on the road. Only went back to the dealer for initial fix list. Followed the other suggestions and called HL first for suggestions on local authorized dealers. I went a little extra and found out from the locals if any should be avoided so I could use that info when talking to HL.

jcd8822

Joseph
Here in Texas it is know that RV dealers charge whatever the traffic will bear. Texas prices seem to be higher, especially near large cities.

ihsolutions

Agree with what's already been said and will add, please remember the factory warranty is only a year, which goes by REEEALLY fast anyways, so having said that, I believe $8k is way too much money to pay for the off-chance that you'd need a major repair like that in the first year.

wonka

I for one like to support the local guy, but I'm not going to bend over for him. The service we received from our local dealer has been far from stellar in the past, and I'm sure wouldn't get much better. I can live with a little hassle, especially when the price difference ( hear this now ) was an astounding 21000.00. When we informed them of the price difference, he said he could maybe squeeze another 15000-2000.00, I asked him if he heard the difference in price, to which his reply was, "Have fun importing it, we earn our money going through that hassle".
We have a couple small issues with our unit, and are planning on doing the full breakdown during our next trip before seeking any repairs. If they had really wanted my our business, they could have done a better job matching the price, I'm sure they didn't pay more for the stock than the dealer we bought from. The shipping should have been cheaper for them than me (volume discount), so I can not figure out the reasoning behind his pricing, ( other than that is what he is able to sell them for).
Here in the great white north it seems that anybody selling a vehicle figures they can charge MSRP plus a premium, and for the most part the sheep here will blindly pay the price. In the era of google, it boggles my mind that more people are not buying online. We will not pay any significantly higher amount for the the same product just to support the local guy, when he certainly isn't promoting buying local. My truck came from a dealer 1000 miles away, and the trailer quite a bit further.
For the price difference, almost 700.00 a month for the warranty period, I wouldn't hesitate to support the dealer who is actually dealing. After all, how long would it take to get them inline if everybody walked away and bought elsewhere.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We bought our Bighorn from an internet dealer in July of '07...been fulltiming in it ever since! Have never had a problem getting service when needed, even during the warranty period. We called Heartland and they made sure that we got the service we needed. Even now, well out of warranty, if we need something taken care of...like damage repairs last summer after a blowout...Heartland made sure we were taken into a Heartland dealer in New York and the parts we needed were shipped ASAP!

When you're fulltiming, it makes no difference where you buy...you probably won't see that dealer again anyway...ours went out of business in '08 when the **** hit the fan in the financial sector...so go for the best price you can negotiate!

jayc

Legendary Member
I agree with all the previous posters. We've been lucky and bought locally but wouldn't hesitate to buy wherever the best price is.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If your not a fulltimer then a dealer is possibably a good resource, if the dealer is reputable. If your fulltiming then the dealer doesn't make any difference. You most likely will not be in the area for them to repair it if it did break down. If your not a fulltimer and you break down somewhere a long way from home you have the same problem. No home town dealer.

If I were you I would put the $8K in the bank for future situations. You will have problems some time. Don't let it bother you. Just keep the Heartland number on your cell phone and call your Heartland Bighorn Rep. He will find someone to help you with any repairs. Always be nice.

I have had a number of problems with my BH 3400RE and Heartland has always gone beyond what I expected and taken care of me.

Now I am not their Yes person. There are a few things I would really like them to change when building their trailers and many changes has been made.

FWIW
BC