Is your Air gauge accurate?

wingfoot

When I was doing Fleet Surveys (working years) on large commercial carriers the first thing I would do was visit their tire repair area. I checked their Air Gauges for accuracy as compared to my certified gauge. I found in the mass majority most of these gauges were inaccurate. Some as much as ten to fifteen PSI. Now these were subjected to much more abuse than I would suspect we put our gauges through. But the point is, we depend on our gauges to render accurate readings and if your gauge is off six or seven pounds, then you are running your tires almost ten-percent soft (assuming you are suppose to run 80# PSI). There are a lot of cheep gauges out there. In my opinion an air gauge is one of the most important tools in you maintenance arsenal.

There are a lot of good manufactures such as Schrader, Dill-Eaton just to mention two. Try to stick with a name brand. Digital would be alright I guess...never had any experience with them though.

If you own multiple gauges...compare the two as to readings, or you could borrow a fellow camper's. The problem here is you will not know which one is right. So, you may need to check multiple gauges and by process of elimination determine which is accurate and has a consistent reading compared to others.

Moral of this post is. Make sure your gauge is accurate and use it often!

Larry

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The other day before we moved for a few days, I checked mine with my gauge. The when we stopped to weight I had the tire shop recheck my tires. To the most part it was pretty close. Cost me about 20 with a tip and a donation to a local ccharity.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
In a nutshell, NO! I have three, all read different and the one digital, although the most expensive of the three, reads the worse. Sometimes 10lbs different right after a first reading. To compound the problem...the TST reads different than all three gauges. It's a guessing game trying to hit the magic 110 for the 614's. Still looking for a reliable tire gauge!

wingfoot

In a nutshell, NO! I have three, all read different and the one digital, although the most expensive of the three, reads the worse. Sometimes 10lbs different right after a first reading. To compound the problem...the TST reads different than all three gauges. It's a guessing game trying to hit the magic 110 for the 614's. Still looking for a reliable tire gauge!

When I was involved in this, we would procure our gauges from Dill-Eaton. They would sell us gauges that were "Certified Accurate". Can you still buy them..I dunno. Let me do a little research. I still have some contacts with Dill and Schrader engineers, but haven't talked to any in a long time. The best I can remember they were a little pricey and that's been ten years ago. As I stated in my post, the best we can do is a comparison with multiple gauges...But like you stated, you can't get a good comparison with yours..

wingfoot

Thus far I've not been able to find much. I did discover that I think the terminology has changed. I believe they are now being called "Master Gauges".
Still looking..need to make some phone calls.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thus far I've not been able to find much. I did discover that I think the terminology has changed. I believe they are now being called "Master Gauges".
Still looking..need to make some phone calls.

Don't forget...many of us need a gauge that will measure 110psi or more! That has narrowed the field in my search! Thanks for looking!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I've been using a Slime brand gauge for about a year and it seems to be good. I keep it in my truck and seems so far to be pretty accurate. I have one that has been around for years that belonged to my dad and they both read the same. Definitely don't trust those .99 cent ones that are next to the checkout.

Bobby A

What a great subject guys, I been thinking about the accuracy of my gauges also. At the Rally in Goshen there was a vendor selling gauges and I should of bought one (I'm still kicking myself) I think there was a few different kinds, don't think they were a hundred bucks though. Yes, if anyone know of a good accurate gauge and where to get it, please let us all know.
Bobby A

wingfoot

Thanks Pete...

I believe that's it...Mine was a different configuration but very similar.

In my post I said they were pricey..as memory serves we paid about $70.00 bucks for them, but that's been a few years ago. This gauge does state "Master Gauge"....

View attachment Master Gauge.pdf

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use a regular blade type gage when topping off to 110 psi. When I put the TST sensors on, they read 108. TCE.

ihsolutions

Here's another complication I would like to bring into the discussion. Let's say your truck tires need to be at 80 psi (mine do) when towing. Do you measure it with the full weight of the fifth wheel on the truck, or do you set the truck tires at 80psi when empty? Doing it empty, and then hitching up, results in a considerably higher PSI on the tire.

Same goes for my airbags on the truck. I set them at 30psi according to the in-cab gauge, but when I hitch up it jumps to 50 or so, and driving down the road hitting bumps may go as high as 80.

So, at what point are the tires supposed to be measured? Hitched or not?

wingfoot

Here's another complication I would like to bring into the discussion. Let's say your truck tires need to be at 80 psi (mine do) when towing. Do you measure it with the full weight of the fifth wheel on the truck, or do you set the truck tires at 80psi when empty? Doing it empty, and then hitching up, results in a considerably higher PSI on the tire.

Same goes for my airbags on the truck. I set them at 30psi according to the in-cab gauge, but when I hitch up it jumps to 50 or so, and driving down the road hitting bumps may go as high as 80.

Jeff, you know that's an interesting question. My knee-jerk answer would be...Inflate your tires, fully loaded and not hitched up. Inflate to the tire specifications "cold". Cold would mean before you start your trip. The manufactures will usually take into consideration there are fluctuating ambient temperatures and factor in a +10/-10 percent tolerance. If you have ever checked a "hot" (running temp) you will get a higher temperature reading. All that being said, it is my opinion to always check your tires prior to towing...unhitched. There, as I'm sure you know, variables to be taken into consideration. Ambient temperature and elevation as we travel.

But that's a great question...

wdk450

Gang:
Maybe its because I am an "electronics" guy but as a general rule on anything but a brand new certified guage, I would trust a digital gauge before a mechanical gauge. Simply because of all of the possible sources of mechanical friction and damage from being dropped etc. The digital gauges are easier to read, and less prone to error. Even battery variations are compensated for in the electronic circuitry.
I just know that over my career of repairing electromechanical equipment, the mechanical stuff was the most malfunction prone, and the pure electronic stuff was the least malfunction prone.

wingfoot

Very good point..I just haven't had any experience with these..You know, "old dog new trick" I still have an eight track tape player..LOL

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

Inflate at cold tire pressure. Simplest way to put it is first thing of a morning, before you hook up and before you drive anywhere.

rick_debbie_gallant

Inflate at cold tire pressure. Simplest way to put it is first thing of a morning, before you hook up and before you drive anywhere.

Rex, first let me thank you for your service and second, welcome home.

On this inflation business, I am thinking or of the opinion that the air pressure should be checked on the trailer and the tow vehicle "after" everything is hooked up and ready to roll. Then when you are done towing and the tires have cooled off readjust the tire pressure of the tow vehicle. Does that make sense?