Issues with my Big Country

neilandnanci

We also have had a lot of problems with our 2011 3500rl Big Country. We had a lot of water in our underbelly and when we were traveling and landed in Branson, Mo for a couple of weeks, we found a repairman and he came out and found that one of our grey water tanks had a leak where the valve connection attaches to the tank body had a crack in it. We had him call the factory and they agreed to replace it but we did not want to wait for 4 weeks in Branson, so we had it sent to our local RV repair store (not the dealer). We took it in 2 weeks ago and just got it back today. Now it is fixed. We have had lots of other problems, but since we are so unhappy with the dealer's service center, we are fixing things ourselves or having our local guy fix them. Not only the tank, but we have had the tv go out, the back stablizing jack motor went out, the kitchen sink came loose, lots of hindges on cabinet doors, and a real big problem was that the factory installed tv cables were faulty. Our repair guy found out that the end fittings were not crimped on properly. The closet rod came off, seal around the roof vent in the toilet area was leaking, and of course the paint on the nose cap fadding and so many more things. But we still love our Big Country and feel that we are finally getting all the little problems solved.
Neilandnanci

olcoon

how did you deal with the outside shower leak cuz that appears to be one!! of my problems? My other problem is water is leaking from under/around the "winterizing system" valve.

Appleanne,
We were having leaks in our basement also, seemed like no matter what I did, I couldn't find the problem or get it fixed. Finally got it traced down to the outside shower. Somehow the knobs were getting turned on, no matter how tight I closed them. Also the lever on the shower head would get locked in the "on" position. I took down the bulkhead wall in the basement, & installed valves on shower connections on the backside of the UDC. Problem fixed, no more leaks. We had never used the outside shower, & now if we decide to use it, all I have to do is access the backside of the UDC & turn them on.

Leaks behind UDC fixed. 1)Byron found one of the inlets? for the winterization bypass was leaking and when he was finally able to get it apart he discovered that that 1 inlet apparently missed having threading seal put on during manufacture and though on tight was finally leaking. Fix: threading seal applied and valve put back together. Leak #1 fixed. 2) As for the leaky outdoor shower, Byron first opened the cold water faucet hoping to find an adjustment of some sort, none. He said some outdoor shower products have them. He observed, as I had that no matter how tight the faucets were tightened they still leaked, as did the shower head. My solution, I said I was having none of this and wanted it disconnected PERIOD!! So Byron said no problem and disconnected and capped off the pex tubing from the shower box. We left the box in place, no more leaks. If anyone knows of a reliable, upgraded outdoor shower that fits the BC space let us know and I'll consider. Lets put it on our factory future BC wish list since so many of us owners have had the same problems with the outdoor showers. We do not need wet basements.

That said, now in the middle of NW storm #4 and a 5th coming. I've had 2 more water issues. 1) Rain seeping into kitchen slide at floor level. What would we do without our oscillating fans! During a break in the storm action Sunday I got out and started investigating the caulking along the seemingly decorative (NOT!! decorative) strip that runs along the lower part of slides. Decided it was likely the culprit, some cracking in caulk particularly at the ends. Fix: recaulking yesterday. I ran a bead of Alex Plus ,acrylic plus silicone, 35 year guarantee (right), a DAP product that a house painter friend swears by. I recaulked 360 degrees around BC following the "not just decorative strip" and looking for any cracks or breaches. With rain last night and this morning I am happy to report no wicking behind the kitchen cupboards. 2) Unfortunately, I also discovered on Sunday that the basement carpet is again saturated with mildew starting to form. A family pow-wow has determined that we believe its heavy condensation. I have for the second time unloaded the basement, this time into the BC. It looks like a warehouse with barely enough room to walk but I live fulltime in the BC and have no other storage. I have sprayed a 1:1 solution of vinegar and water over the black carpet the is wet and mildewing. The solution should act as a mildewcide. And of course I am trying to open up the slams and dry out the basement between storms. The final, more permanent fix is we have ordered a dehumidifier that is highly rated for this type of function by shopper reviews on Amazon. I am waiting for my NewAir AD 250 room dehumidifier to arrive which will be plugged in and running in the basement as soon as it arrives. Its may seem expensive at $144.95 but I think an argument can be made that that is cheap considering the investment and the potential damage/loss. I'll post again after the dehumidifier is up and running a while. I hope that my shakeout period with my new to me 2010 BC model 3450TS (manufactured 12/2009 after the big fix!) is about over...Cuz you all know we love our Big Countrys! I have been reading some other threads on the condensation in the basement issue and I'll probably post there to share. Does the factory know about this condensation in the basement issue and the black carpet mildew??

Hopefully stating dry soon.
Annie

JayG

Just to let everyone concerned know, we wrote a letter to Heartland and the dealer we bought this load from(3250TS Leak Country). A couple of weeks ago a Heartland rep called and offered me a repair kit for the floors. The labor was to be at my expense. I told him that was unacceptable, I shouldn't have to put out a dime over a defective product. The dealer who pocketed our hard earned money never bothered to reply. These things cost way too much money for the problems we're having with them. We go camping to enjoy ourselves, not to have to clean up water leaks and make repairs. Thanks, Jay

ChangingPlaces

Hi
We had leaks in our basement especially when I connected up to city water and also when the back flush was connected to the black tank. I found both of these fittings leaking badly. So I took them apart and sealed them up with sealant, making sure the curclip is clipped back in place with plenty of sealant behind it and all around it. I let them dry overnite and smeared another coat of sealant over it again. Connected them up and to this day there still ok.
Ideally new fittings would be the go, but when you are on the road fulltime you've got to impervise. I have totally repiped the UDC area now with John Quest fittings (quick release fittings). The chauking in the UDC area has got to be checked regularly as that leaked as well. I am thinking of modifying this area with one piece of plactic bent up to replicate the original with a bottom and a top plastic welded in.
Cheers Paul

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JAYG, not to be sarcastic or mean spirted. You say that your BC is 3 1/2 years old? Have you walked around your coach to inspect it for problems in 3 1/2 years? The slide floor delamination does not just happen overnite. There have threads about this issue for at least 3 years about this and the fix. Have you ever checked all the caulking on the roof and all the seams as listed in your warrenty manuel? Your "rolling earthquake" needs attention just like a sticks and bricks does. Nothing made by man will last without repairs and maintance. Nothing........

JayG

JAYG, not to be sarcastic or mean spirted. You say that your BC is 3 1/2 years old? Have you walked around your coach to inspect it for problems in 3 1/2 years? The slide floor delamination does not just happen overnite. There have threads about this issue for at least 3 years about this and the fix. Have you ever checked all the caulking on the roof and all the seams as listed in your warrenty manuel? Your "rolling earthquake" needs attention just like a sticks and bricks does. Nothing made by man will last without repairs and maintance. Nothing........

Hello, Yes I have looked it over many times. There's a big difference between maintenance and shoddy craftsmanship. My water leaks in the plumbing have been too numerous to mention. The fittings and connectors are just plain cheap. I understand maintenance very well, I've been an auto mechanic for almost 30 years. As far as floor delamination, the ends were just "painted" over, not sealed, allowing the water to wick up into the flooring. Also I found out in later models this issue has been addressed. So in my opinion, the manufacturer should issue a recall on earlier units. I'm not basing this on the floor issue alone, it's the whole picture. Many people on here are having the same problems. Again we go camping to enjoy ourselves not to constantly bail water. Thanks Jay

JayG

Heartland needs to do a recall on these defective units. Do not take this. I've had a few conversations with their "customer service" only to be told the slide rot in mine is from my lack of maintenance. So, everyone on this site with rotten floors didn't maintain our campers?? I asked CS to tell me how I was expected to "maintain the floor edges" and the guy said I should have used decking sealer on the exposed ends. I told him this is not in the owners manual ANYWHERE. He said the owners manual is a "universal " manual for several models. For the kind of money we pay for these things you would think something as important as floor care would be in there. Especially considering the cost of the repair and the damage that could come from it. I also visited a dealer that had several BC's about the same year as mine. All three had the same rot. What will it take for this to be resolved?

Postie307

March 10, 2013
Sorry to hear the issues with your Big Country. We do too! We bought our brand new 2013 Big Country 3596RE last August. We have had about 40 issues. Today we have yet another water leak. We took out the drawers in the bathroom and the kitchen to check out where the water may be coming from. Low and behold---you would not believe the junk behind and under the drawers. Nails, screws, construction debris, wood chips, pieces of wire etc etc. Do these guys not clean up anything after themselves. It was just amazing how much debris was under there!! Still have not found the source of the water though. I had some things on the floor of the pantry and everything was wet. We have not been travelling or moving either. We have been in the same RV park for awhile. So why do we have 40 discrepancies!! I have a friend who bought a brand new Columbus 5th wheel and she had one minor issue. JUST ONE!! Do you know the time and trouble we have experienced just to get some of these issues fixed. We have to travel 5 hours from our home to a dealer and then stay in a hotel while they are repairing it. The cost of gas, hotel and our time and trouble..... Lets see.. just a few of things: Fridge leaks water all over the food, blinds don't work properly, drawers come open when travelling so when slides are put out they crushed the 2 drawers below the TV (still not fixed); bathroom sinks don't hold water and gasket needs replacing, shower leaks, shower door was not installed correctly so wrecked the gasket, jacks at the back were too low grade for length of our unit so they bent and we had to have them replaced AND they refuse to cover the cost because they said it was something we did for them to bend. I could go on and on bu you get the picture. It is over 40 issues now. We are just sick of it.

danemayer

March 10, 2013
Sorry to hear the issues with your Big Country. We do too! We bought our brand new 2013 Big Country 3596RE last August. We have had about 40 issues. Today we have yet another water leak. We took out the drawers in the bathroom and the kitchen to check out where the water may be coming from. Low and behold---you would not believe the junk behind and under the drawers. Nails, screws, construction debris, wood chips, pieces of wire etc etc. Do these guys not clean up anything after themselves. It was just amazing how much debris was under there!! Still have not found the source of the water though. I had some things on the floor of the pantry and everything was wet. We have not been travelling or moving either. We have been in the same RV park for awhile. So why do we have 40 discrepancies!! I have a friend who bought a brand new Columbus 5th wheel and she had one minor issue. JUST ONE!! Do you know the time and trouble we have experienced just to get some of these issues fixed. We have to travel 5 hours from our home to a dealer and then stay in a hotel while they are repairing it. The cost of gas, hotel and our time and trouble..... Lets see.. just a few of things: Fridge leaks water all over the food, blinds don't work properly, drawers come open when travelling so when slides are put out they crushed the 2 drawers below the TV (still not fixed); bathroom sinks don't hold water and gasket needs replacing, shower leaks, shower door was not installed correctly so wrecked the gasket, jacks at the back were too low grade for length of our unit so they bent and we had to have them replaced AND they refuse to cover the cost because they said it was something we did for them to bend. I could go on and on bu you get the picture. It is over 40 issues now. We are just sick of it.

Rick and Ardeth,

You've posted this story a number of times and several of us have suggested that you call Heartland and speak to them directly about your situation. Have you ever done that?

Heartland may be willing to authorize a closer repair center to do your work, or may offer some other type of assistance to resolve your problems. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and have your VIN # ready. If necessary, stay on hold until Customer Service for your area can pick up.

Then on your next post, hopefully you'll be able to tell us all something more positive.

Btw, duplicate posts are not permitted under forum rules. So when you post basically the same message in two places in the forum within a few minutes, one will get deleted.

tmcran

I'm still concerned about the continued same old same old problems,water leaks,very little QC and trashy stuff left during construction. I recall several months ago that HL was going to make an effort to improve QC. Seems to be the same stuff going on.My daughter and son-in-law brought Jayco Eagle based on repeated problems we have had. After 7 months they have had no problems and have not had warranty issues. Neighbors are looking at other brands and eliminated HL as an option. Sorry to say if HL lets CS begin to slide ,then see them becoming like Forest River.

JayG

March 10, 2013

Whatever you do, don't let anything slide during you warranty period. When they say one year, they mean it. I had the leaking shower door, the drawers opening during travel too. The toilet seal gave up early on. I even found the wires to the outside receptacle by the door stuffed under the interior steps ! No wonder the I couldn't use it. The second trip with it our luggage we had in the basement got soaked due to a faulty clamp. The basement was flooded. We had to go to Walmart to pick up a wet vac for clean up. That was fun. Thanks Heartland. I could go on also. Good luck. Jay

kowAlski631

Just a couple of questions here, Jay. When did you purchase your rig? New or previously owned? When did you discover all the issues? If you have provided that info before, I apologize for not spotting it in your posts.

Martha

B

bwwalczak

Wow - this thread is getting attention!!

First off, no one likes to hear they have ugly kids, even if our kids belong to other people. The same is true for Heartland's RVs!! Heartland's products are our children. We design, test, and manufacture with more care than any other company I have worked or competed with. The amount of time, effort, care that our engineering, purchasing, production, sales, and support staff invest to provide an above average product, is worth noting.

This being said, there are several main points that we must remember as we evaluate this thread.

1 - All RVs (regardless of company) are made with human hands, and humans are prone to occasionally making errors. People say there was one perfect man, and he was not around building RVs.
2 - No matter how many preventative measure we take (multiple goods receivers, multiple online/in station quality inspectors, offline pre shipping delivery inspection/testing, dealership pre-delivery inspection - which Heartland does and more), occasionally there will be an error that slips through. These don’t always come from manufacturing. These come with natural fact of 6+ TONS at 60+ MPH speed on government roads.
3 - Every RV company has experienced issues, many of the same issues listed above. Every company has warranty departments, other companies must have issues too. Someone posted above another mfg name, I was just inside one, and the countertop was so bowed, even the dealer was complaining about it!!

This brings me to the most important point. Stuff happens, it is what Heartland is going to do about it. Heartlands parts/service/warranty department is 2nd to none! This has taken years to perfect. If given the opportunity to they have and will step up to help with issues. Our folks are trained to work with the Heartland family, not just dealers. There are too many instances to list in this thread, but some could have helped if dealers were more proactive on clearing parts/service/warranty claims, along with careful nudging from owners.

It is my obligation to let everyone know that I don't just work at Heartland - I am an AVID RV owner. My family spent over 50 days in our rig last year, myself, wife, dog, & 3 kids. If my years of RVing have taught me one thing, stuff happens, unexpected, often head scratching stuff. However, like my wife says, "If you can’t be handsome, BE HANDY!!" My limited handiness has allowed me to stop issues before they mushroom out of control.

The Heartland family is strong, and understands that items can and will come up. We appreciate everyone on this thread that has tried to help customers with issues. True Heartlanders recognize that Heartland cares about product. Heartland's RVs have something for everyone, but more importantly, Heartlands are everything to SOMEONE!

If I can be of any assistance, I will do what I can. You should know how to reach me. Otherwise, if an issue comes up, get us on the horn: 574-266-8726. We can/will/do build the best RVs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kbvols

Brian appropriate response given some of the posts in the thread. Issues and problems with products that people spend a lot of money on can generate a lot of emotions. Your post reminds us there are good people working hard to make quality products.

JayG

Just a couple of questions here, Jay. When did you purchase your rig? New or previously owned? When did you discover all the issues? If you have provided that info before, I apologize for not spotting it in your posts.
basement
Martha
Hello Martha, we bought our 3250TS in April of 2009. Brand new off the dealers lot. The issues started on our
2nd trip with the water leaks. A clamp let water flood the basement, our luggage and our guests luggage became soaked. From then on, more leaks. Hot water heater fitting( the plastic fitting was octagon shaped instead of round), shower door, sink traps, the ceiling fan buzzes and hums like a WW2 bomber. The UDC door hinge sagged and let water enter the basement. The dealer did install a new one under warranty. the hinge seems to be made of aluminum and is sagging again. There are more issues. Now last fall when I found the slide floors were rotting on the ends I had enough. Thanks Jay