Issues with my Big Country

JayG

Wow - this thread is getting attention!!

First off, no one likes to hear they have ugly kids, even if our kids belong to other people. The same is true for Heartland's RVs!! Heartland's products are our children. We design, test, and manufacture with more care than any other company I have worked or competed with. The amount of time, effort, care that our engineering, purchasing, production, sales, and support staff invest to provide an above average product, is worth noting.

This being said, there are several main points that we must remember as we evaluate this thread.

1 - All RVs (regardless of company) are made with human hands, and humans are prone to occasionally making errors. People say there was one perfect man, and he was not around building RVs.
2 - No matter how many preventative measure we take (multiple goods receivers, multiple online/in station quality inspectors, offline pre shipping delivery inspection/testing, dealership pre-delivery inspection - which Heartland does and more), occasionally there will be an error that slips through. These don’t always come from manufacturing. These come with natural fact of 6+ TONS at 60+ MPH speed on government roads.
3 - Every RV company has experienced issues, many of the same issues listed above. Every company has warranty departments, other companies must have issues too. Someone posted above another mfg name, I was just inside one, and the countertop was so bowed, even the dealer was complaining about it!!

This brings me to the most important point. Stuff happens, it is what Heartland is going to do about it. Heartlands parts/service/warranty department is 2nd to none! This has taken years to perfect. If given the opportunity to they have and will step up to help with issues. Our folks are trained to work with the Heartland family, not just dealers. There are too many instances to list in this thread, but some could have helped if dealers were more proactive on clearing parts/service/warranty claims, along with careful nudging from owners.

It is my obligation to let everyone know that I don't just work at Heartland - I am an AVID RV owner. My family spent over 50 days in our rig last year, myself, wife, dog, & 3 kids. If my years of RVing have taught me one thing, stuff happens, unexpected, often head scratching stuff. However, like my wife says, "If you can’t me handsome, BE HANDY!!" My limited handiness has allowed me to stop issues before they mushroom out of control.

The Heartland family is strong, and understands that items can and will come up. We appreciate everyone on this thread that has tried to help customers with issues. True Heartlanders recognize that Heartland cares about product. Heartland's RVs have something for everyone, but more importantly, Heartlands are everything to SOMEONE!

If I can be of any assistance, I will do what I can. You should know how to reach me. Otherwise, if an issue comes up, get us on the horn: 574-266-8726. We can/will/do build the best RVs.

Hello Bryan, I'm glad you're here. I can live with repairs that are normal wear and tear. I can deal with maintenance. I've had numerous plumbing leaks that I repaired, upgraded and moved on. My main issue with this camper, which has about 2000 to 2500 miles of government roads on it, is the slide floors are rotting on the ends. I feel this is a known manufacturer defect. Delamination has been a hot topic on here.The ends of the floors look to be painted over with some type of sealer. The rain water is still being wicked up in the floor past this sealer.I went to a dealer 60 miles from my home that had 3 Big Country's about the same year of mine on their lot. All 3 had the same slide rot in the same places. I talked with customer service at Heartland and was offered the flooring only. As you know the main cost of this repair is in the labor. When I asked customer service how I was supposed to maintain the floor ends, I was told I should have used deck sealer on them. Why was this important step left out of the owners manual? Customer service also told me this issue has been addressed on later units. Thanks Jay.

Bryon

Mr Walczak your defence of Heartland is great but from what I have read in the last few days about water leaks and leftover material needs to be looked after. I just purchased a new 2012 3250TS. As soon as I got home I filled the water tank and ran the pump. There were several leaks on the compression fittings. From what I see as an easy fix is to use brass fittings. Also the duck to the bedroom was not installed. These were easy fixes, but when you purchase a new RV and only drive 1 mile home and have these problems it is not a good feeling on how long this unit will last before something else happens. Please take my advise and make some simple changes to fix the water leaks and don't blame the govermont roads.

Yours Truly
Bryon

B

bwwalczak

Mr Walczak your defence of Heartland is great but from what I have read in the last few days about water leaks and leftover material needs to be looked after. I just purchased a new 2012 3250TS. As soon as I got home I filled the water tank and ran the pump. There were several leaks on the compression fittings. From what I see as an easy fix is to use brass fittings. Also the duck to the bedroom was not installed. These were easy fixes, but when you purchase a new RV and only drive 1 mile home and have these problems it is not a good feeling on how long this unit will last before something else happens. Please take my advise and make some simple changes to fix the water leaks and don't blame the govermont roads.

Yours Truly
Bryon

To isolate one cause only (roads) is unfair on my part. You are correct, not hooking up a duct is indefensible. This should have been caught at several levels of inspection. Screws and leftover material is also indefensible. When/if a leak occurs in limited cases there may be a fittning next that could use corrective action.

We have made several changes, mostly driven by this forum! For example, brass fittings are used on all current product.

This forum is exactly for this purpose. So the people who drive change (I am part of that team), can/will make that change. We cannot always fix a problem unless we know about it.

We appreciate your important feedback.

mzcummins

Sorry i was a little unclear

I was talking about the switch to brass fittings, with my short time on this great forum it seems that most complaints that i see are water leaks and towmax tire failures and it has me a little worried cause the folks havent even picked up their 2013 3400qb but i know this is a internet forum and bad news travels like wild fire and good news travels slow

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry i was a little unclear

I was talking about the switch to brass fittings, with my short time on this great forum it seems that most complaints that i see are water leaks and towmax tire failures and it has me a little worried cause the folks haven't even picked up their 2013 3400qb but I know this is a Internet forum and bad news travels like wild fire and good news travels slow

Sent using Tapatalk 2
mzcummins, you hit the nail right on the head. We rarely see the comments of literally thousands of folks that have very few if any problems. Regarding leaks, my 2007 Bighorn had a couple leaks at the connections for the kitchen and shower fixture. One sink gasket incorrectly installed. These were discovered by me and fixed by me the day after we picked up the rig in July of 2006. Since then, not one leak! We were full time for 4 years and currently spend 7 months or more on the road. Oops, I almost forgot about the ice maker supply line. Got that one done too as soon as it was noticed. I might also add that none of these leaks caused any damage. I also have the soft corners in the floor of the bedroom slide but since I added the upgrade kit available for our rigs through Heartland, it hasn't gotten any worse and the bed still hasn't fallen through the slide out.:rolleyes:
I really feel bad for the folks that are having any type of issue with their rig. We pay good hard earned money for these things and hope that they last a while. At least we have a place here to vent a little when needed and find ways to resolve our problems.

JayG

Well Bryan, I guess I'm on the Heartland ignore list. Delamination is an issue you people need to resolve. I'll bet our money in your bank accounts didn't delaminate did it?

Last edited:

Buster537

I am a newbie. We will pickup our new Big Country 3510 this week, having slide-toppers put on it. I am a little concerned about the drain pipe hanging down. It seems that it is lower than most of the other 5th wheel drains. Has anyone had a problem with it being knocked off? From what I have seen here the plumbing is one of the first thing I will check when I get it home.

jimtoo

Hi Buster537,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the drain connections being to low. But don't wait till you get home to check everything out. Do a really through PDI before you ever leave the dealers lot, or even sign the final papers if you can. That way you can make sure everything works and you can work everything. Do it slow and try everything out from top to bottom ... front to back.

It would even be good if you could stay on the dealers lot for a day or so checking everything while camping out.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Country.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Buster537,

The sewer outlet is usually directly in front of the wheels. If you hit something that breaks the sewer outlet, you're probably going to have some serious damage to tires and maybe also to wheels and axles.

kkamshop

Buster537 The only one I know of that has broken was done when driving onto a leveling board that kicked up and broke off the gate valve.

JayG

I just read your thread. I also have a 2012 3650. I too have way too many problems with my unit. I must say it has been my worst night mare trying to get the dealer to fix the problems. Heartland has been ok, but not great. I left my rv with my dealer last year in October and finally got it back I beleive sometime in March of this year. I constantly have to repair the shower door. I now have to tape it shut. The handle on the outside has broken many times (two many to count), the little plastic pieces where the door closes have broken, the refegerator doesn't keep food cold, I have had a leak in the underbelly since owning it. I finally found the problem and temporarily have it I beleive fixed. The outside shower was the culprit. The underbelly has been drenched in water, so I will be asking them to tear up the board and replace with a new as I don't ant mold. I would keep going but I am tired of typing. I believe you get the idea. Too Many problems for the money we pay for these. I will never buy another Heartland. I had a montana as my last and wish I had it back.

Good Luck.
Keith Warner
Keith, good luck with the flooring, I asked the same thing when my Big Country flooded my basement time and time again. They should start a unhappy camper forum for the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buster537

I am a newbie. We will pickup our new Big Country 3510 this week, having slide-toppers put on it. I am a little concerned about the drain pipe hanging down. It seems that it is lower than most of the other 5th wheel drains. Has anyone had a problem with it being knocked off? From what I have seen here the plumbing is one of the first thing I will check when I get it home.
- Well we got it home and went for a trial run last week. Heartland maybe using brass fittings now, but in this 2013 I had a leak in the kitchen and bath. Leaks were plastic to metal fittings, both hot and cold sides. No problem with the drain, but I am concerned that it runs for about 5 feet, approximately 2 inches below the 'I' beam before turning 90 degrees out. There were a few other minor thing we found but we really enjoyed the outing and the our Big Country.

I'm wondering if my 2011 Big Country bought new will stand up to full time travel when my wife and I retire in a little while. Had black tank problems in warranty period that HL first refused to correct. Many water leaks in pressure lines they blamed on travel on rough roads..pulled camper home on Interstate a total of 55 miles to house. Had to pull down wall in storage area to fix a leak, and was greeted with a dirty t-shirt, a bucket full of plumbing scraps, pieces of wood, wire, and anything else that needed thrown out of the plant. Using camper approx. 6 weekends a year. It is pulled 3/4 mile from parking slip to site to be set up.Front and rear fiberglass caps are in such bad shape they are going to have be sanded and painted this spring. My concern is if all these problems I've listed [plus a significant amount of others] have happened with no road miles being put on this unit, can I expect it to survive 3000 miles of towing and living in it mostly full time very shortly? We like the camper, but not very pleased with CS from HL.

danemayer

Hi cte.mactools,

Even when trailers have more than their share of problems, things usually settle down over time. In your case, although you've had the trailer for a few years, it sounds like you haven't really used it enough to gain confidence that you've worked through everything.

One thing you might consider is to start using it for longer periods before going full time. Perhaps there's a campground near you that would give you an attractive monthly rate. You could live in the trailer for a month or two, but still have your home as a backup if things don't go as well as you'd like.

A month of two in the RV would also give you a good idea of how well you'd adapt to full-timing.

Hi Dan, we've really enjoyed using a fifth wheel over other types of camping and don't mind fixing small problems that arise. My concern is if this Big Country will stand up to being used like a quality piece should. Would love to hear from other HL owners about manufacturing short falls cropping up after hitting the road. I actually have very little confidence in the quality of this camper standing up for the long haul. Maybe it will prove me wrong, but with the problems we've had so far and what has been uncovered behind closed doors, all I can do I hope for the best! Thanks, Charles

VKTalley

Hi Dan, we've really enjoyed using a fifth wheel over other types of camping and don't mind fixing small problems that arise. My concern is if this Big Country will stand up to being used like a quality piece should. Would love to hear from other HL owners about manufacturing short falls cropping up after hitting the road. I actually have very little confidence in the quality of this camper standing up for the long haul. Maybe it will prove me wrong, but with the problems we've had so far and what has been uncovered behind closed doors, all I can do I hope for the best! Thanks, Charles

Hi Charles, My hubby and I live full time in our BC3690SL since September 2012. We have had our share of minor problems that we have fixed ourselves but we have had more fun than problems. We have traveled lots of miles through 28 different states (camped in a total of 25 of them). We are now making our plans for this next year and the places we will go. My hubby writes our blog, check it out and see all our fun and minor problems we have had. I know there are others on here who will give you their stories..the good, the bad and the ugly.