JT Strongarms

jhardin

Can someone post a pic of the rear of their RV with the Strongarm placement. I have tried mine attached side to side, but they were attached to a flimsy piece of metal causing a lot of movement. I then moved and mounted them front to back direction and still have a lot of movement. As much as everyone brags about these Strongarms, I have to be doing something wrong. Any help will be much appreciated.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Can someone post a pic of the rear of their RV with the Strongarm placement. I have tried mine attached side to side, but they were attached to a flimsy piece of metal causing a lot of movement. I then moved and mounted them front to back direction and still have a lot of movement. As much as everyone brags about these Strongarms, I have to be doing something wrong. Any help will be much appreciated.

Working on the assumption that you have rear electric stabilizers there isn't much else you can do to mount them. I have the Ultra-Fab version of the StrongArms, and the only way to securely mount them was to run them from the frame in front of the stabilizer set and connect them to the foot pads. Other than the frame, there isn't any "real" metal back there.

jhardin

Working on the assumption that you have rear electric stabilizers there isn't much else you can do to mount them. I have the Ultra-Fab version of the StrongArms, and the only way to securely mount them was to run them from the frame in front of the stabilizer set and connect them to the foot pads. Other than the frame, there isn't any "real" metal back there.

i do have electric rear stabilizers. JohnDar, do you have a lot of movement? Front is fine, it's just the rear. We can feel our small dog walking. I went outside and pushed on the RV and a t seems there is a lot of movement from the extensions on bottom of foot (extensions you had to add so the Stabilizers would raise all the way up). I have moved the stabilizers facing the front attached to the I beam, it just seems that is useless for side to side move to.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a picture of how you have mounted the JT's?
I have mine mounted to the rear stabilizers oriented front to rear.

Peace
Dave

jhardin

Cookie, I will, may be tomorrow because it's raining pretty hard right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

I get some movement when the washing machine is running, but it's not violent. There is a technique to snug up the rear stabilizers before setting the Strongarms or UltraFabs. Works to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

This is a dumb question, and I don't mean to insult you, but do you have the "T" handle bolts tightened down? I've noticed with mine that after I've got the rig level, and the rear stabilizers down & "T" handles tightened, I'll just bump the switch to put some tension on them. Same with the front. This seems to help.

jhardin

olcoon, no questions are dumb, I do have them tighten. Had a little break in the rain, but not enough to get a picture yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jhardin

Can you post a picture of how you have mounted the JT's?
I have mine mounted to the rear stabilizers oriented front to rear.

Peace
Dave

This is how I attached mine. I did have them side to side but the metal was so flimsy I moved them like this..... Rear to Front
20170423_155820.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's the way I have mine installed.
I don't think those wooden blocks are helping those rear stabilizers. They look like they could be wobbling.

Peace
Dave

jhardin

Dave
It was shaking without them so I added the 2x4s to shorten the length of the stabilizers, thinking that could be a problem. Needless to say, it's not.

olcoon

Cookie has a good point. I'll put the 4x4 blocks down then put a 6X6 block on TOP of them, locks them down pretty good. Also, mine were installed by Lippert, and they are pointing towards the rear, it looks like yours are pointing to the front. I don't know if it would make a difference, but I could see how it might. When mine are deployed, the rig is VERY solid, with very little movement in the front & rear. I think the slight movement I've got is because of the bounce of the tires & springs. I'm attaching a couple of photos & hopefully they will help. I don't have any blocks under them, as we are only here for a day & I got lazy!

fullsizeoutput_831.jpgfullsizeoutput_834.jpgfullsizeoutput_831.jpgfullsizeoutput_834.jpgfullsizeoutput_831.jpgfullsizeoutput_834.jpg

JohnDar

I'm not sure there's any substantial metal framing across the rear of a Bighorn to mount them behind the rear stabilizer. That and the closeness of the stabilizers to the rear cap leaves no room. I'm a little leary of piling loose lumber under any of the jacks or stabilizer pads. I prefer solid cribbing pads, like the one under one of my stabilizer pads. I've got 10 of these things made up from 12" lengths of 4x4, topped with two sections of 5/4 decking. The decking is screwed to the 4x4's, holding it all together. Normally, one goes under each Ground Control jack and the rear stabilizer pads. Used them stacked to support the front of the rig when I installed the Ground Control system a few years ago.

Attachments

• Pads.JPG
    Pads.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 53

jhardin

I'm not sure there's any substantial metal framing across the rear of a Bighorn to mount them behind the rear stabilizer. That and the closeness of the stabilizers to the rear cap leaves no room. I'm a little leary of piling loose lumber under any of the jacks or stabilizer pads. I prefer solid cribbing pads, like the one under one of my stabilizer pads. I've got 10 of these things made up from 12" lengths of 4x4, topped with two sections of 5/4 decking. The decking is screwed to the 4x4's, holding it all together. Normally, one goes under each Ground Control jack and the rear stabilizer pads. Used them stacked to support the front of the rig when I installed the Ground Control system a few years ago.
What kind of pad is that on the foot of your stabilizer foot?

JohnDar

What kind of pad is that on the foot of your stabilizer foot?

It's an "Elephant Pad." Before I installed the Ground Control 4-jack system, I had changed the feet on both the rear stabilizers and the two front jacks to these. The front Ground Control jacks would not work with the pads, so I gave them to my sister for her old rig, but kept the two on the rear stabilizers. The foot is larger than the square OEM's and has a rubber slip on cover, like you see in the photo.

Jncgrav

I also added angle iron across the rear and the strongarms come off the rear pads to the middle of the angle iron.