Just bought a new truck

2010augusta

This is an interesting snip from Larry's link.
To ensure that the driver refills the DEF tank, Duramax-equipped trucks will warn the driver when the fluid is down to a 1,000-mile range. A series of start-up warnings — including lights, chimes and messages — will become more frequent until the tank is empty. When the DEF fluid is down to a 100-mile range, the truck will be limited to only 55 mph. As the range declines, so will the vehicle's top speed. If the driver continues to operate the truck with a dry DEF tank, after a final warning and restart, the truck will operate in a “limp home” mode that limits speed to just 5 mph until the tank is refilled.

Northern Virginia
I am pretty sure the Fords will limp home too if you let the DEF run dry, otherwise why would we fill it?

NewCyclone

Anybody know how much it will cost to maintain the DEF tank?

The DEF tanks are supposed to hold something like 5 gallons and only cost about $3 a gallon. They are said to last about 5,000 miles and in the future they are also saying that there will be a urea filling station next to the diesel pumps. For now you have to buy it in the bottle.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The latest issue of Trailer Life magazine has a review of the new 2011 Ford F350/450. It stated you had to change the DEF every 7500 miles and the fluid would be available at the Ford dealers and other locations.

sunflower

more like 465 ft/lbs of torque...................765 ft/lbs is cruise for a freightliner. An Allison can't take that much..................READ ON!
I can't find your numbers but I can read the 765,where did you get 465 from some thing is wrong some where what is correct?