Just bought our first Brand Spankin' new Travel Trailer

My wife and I just bought I first brand new travel trailer a North Trail 24BHS. It works out perfect for our family, two little ones in the bunks and plenty of room for our Siberian Husky too.

Prior to this we have had a Class A and Class C motorhomes, a 29 foot rear living room travel trailer, and a 23 foot Hybrid travel trailer. All pre-enjoyed. This is our first new trailer.

The think I like about the size is the weight is low enough that with our 2500HD truck I only need the trailer ball to pull it no load bars or any of that, which makes getting going quick.

Anyhow this forum was very helpful with being able to read info and and find out about Heartland.

10577104_843913482287526_1000577164582348051_n.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Just bought our first Brand Spankin' new Travel Traile

Hello Overdrive75 and welcome to the forum.
Nice looking rig. There will be many memories with the little ones.

Peace
Dave

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Nice looking trailer! Enjoy!

jimtoo

HI overdrive75,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Jim M

Congratulations on your new purchase, we also just picked up our new 2015 Landmark and are becoming full time risers. This is our 2nd new Heartland unit as we traded in our 2008 Bighorn 3055RL we really enjoyed our years with this trailer and hope our new 5r will serve us so well.

'Lil Guy'

Welcome to the Heartland family. You'll find this forum very helpful. Like the front cap on your rig. Enjoy your TT and don't be a stranger on this site. Love seeing another NT on the forum.

Hbushey

We have the exact same trailer! We've had ours for a little over a month. Tows very well, and the oldest of our two little ones loves the upper bunk - calls it his "fort". Perfect size, not too big, but not too small. Having the divider between the front bed and the rest of the trailer is really nice for mom and dad. So far, we're very happy with this trailer!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The think I like about the size is the weight is low enough that with our 2500HD truck I only need the trailer ball to pull it no load bars or any of that, which makes getting going quick.

I would rethink this idea . . .

When I got my new truck hitched up for our trailer a couple of weeks ago, the sales guy at the hitch place suggested that my truck should be heavy duty enough to pull my trailer without the tow and sway bars.

I thought about it for a minute . . . and I just couldn't wrap my head around not having that safety net attached to that big 8000 pound thing hooked up to the back of my truck!

Ironically . . . I asked the guys that were doing the work on my truck and trailer if they thought it would be safe to just purchase a drop-down and tow without the WD stuff attached . . .

And they both said "No way!"

I know it can be a pain in the rear to hook that stuff up at times . . . but I'll never pull without it.

NewTruck2500HD-IMG_20140823_121212002.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg Newtruckoldhitch-IMG_20140828_134053993.jpg

Last two shots is my old adjustable drop-down from my previous truck attached to my new truck and trailer before I got the new drop down setup.

JWalker

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

We we were at the RV show in Hershey PA yesterday and I must say, it was an impressive sight see 10-12 North Trails all lined up. They have changed so much since we had ours back on 2008. Great floor plans and beautiful interiors. Just a sharp looking trailer.

The light weight and and wide track suspension made it a pleasure to tow. We towed it with a F250, then later with a RAM 3500. Both trucks worked without effort. Never had any "white knuckle" issues. No sway and tracked great. We had hooked up our round bar weight distribution system that we had from our previous trailer. Towed a few thousand miles with it and then removed the bars and towed thousands of miles more. No issues either way. Great trailer.

Enjoy!

JohnD

You never know what will happen . . . until it happens!

They have changed so much since we had ours back on 2008 . . .

The light weight and and wide track suspension made it a pleasure to tow. We towed it with a F250, then later with a RAM 3500. Both trucks worked without effort. Never had any "white knuckle" issues. No sway and tracked great. We had hooked up our round bar weight distribution system that we had from our previous trailer. Towed a few thousand miles with it and then removed the bars and towed thousands of miles more. No issues either way. Great trailer.

All it took to convince me to get the WD setup when we bought our old trailer was our very first trip to a local campground about 30 miles away.

I had a one-ton Dodge Van at the time that was way more truck than I needed for that old Coachman 24-footer, and I called the hitch shop the very next day to make an appointment to get set up.

Funny . . . when we picked up the old trailer from the sellers, they pulled all of the WD stuff out of the cubby hole and I asked them what they were doing, they replied that this stuff doesn't go with the trailer . . . and now I know why!

Because it is expensive (I am still using the setup I bought for that old Dodge van).

Now, when I hook the WD stuff up to my new truck (2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD), it acts like it doesn't even need it as I barely have to put any pressure on the tow bars.

And in all reality . . . I probably DON'T need to use the WD stuff for weight distribution.

But from a safety standpoint . . . having that extra connection to the truck makes me feel safer about the hookup should anything happen.

Like my recent white knuckle incident that I posted about in the General Forum back in August, where if that WD stuff wasn't hooked up, I doubt if the outcome would have been the same.

No matter what truck that I might have been towing with coming down the mountain.

Without the tow bars connected, I'm sure that I wouldn't have been able to control the stop and my trailer probably would have swayed sideways and off the road, and probably pulled us over the edge of a 200-foot drop off over the edge of the mountain and into the river below.

Whenever I see anyone pulling more than a popup camper on a bumper hitch without a WD setup, I shake my head in shame (and say a bad name that can't be posted here under my breath) as they are only setting themselves up for disaster somewhere down the road.

Not only are they endangering themselves and their families . . . but anyone else who is on the same road with them at any given moment.

Sorry . . . I just have strong beliefs about this issue as I've seen many truck-trailer combos on their sides along the highways over the years, and most of them were pulling with either tow vehicles not suited for the trailer they had hitched up . . . or didn't have the proper hitch setup!

And I'm sure that some of them were probably due to inexperienced towing.

Here is a link to that thread . . . https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/47729-Close-call

JWalker

Re: You never know what will happen . . . until it happens!

But from a safety standpoint . . . having that extra connection to the truck makes me feel safer about the hookup should anything happen.

First- A standard round bar weight distribution system does not add any more connections to the truck itself. Still just one pin holding the hitch into the receiver.

Second- I would never purposely put my family in a unsafe condition.

End

JohnD

First- A standard round bar weight distribution system does not add any more connections to the truck itself. Still just one pin holding the hitch into the receiver.

Second- I would never purposely put my family in a unsafe condition.

Add the ball . . . theres two . . . and the safety chains . . . three!

But by not having the extra stuff hitched up . . . all you've got is the ball!

No sway bars or tow bars . . .

Not having that extra stuff is putting everyone at risk.

With only the ball hitched . . . say your ball lock breaks or comes unlocked (I've had this happen) . . .

Those chains aren't going to keep that trailer hooked up for long.

At least with the torsion bars hooked up . . . that ball will stay hitched up!

Thanks for the concern, I do have the hitch equipment it is a Reese Dual camp set up, I use that when my wife pulls the trailer with her 1500 Silverado. I do not need it with the 2500 HD as the truck barely drops in the rear with nearly no rise in the front. Here is my other toy that I pull
10168038_780745335271008_6396408318213126972_n.jpg

I cannot use load bars with this due to the surge brake assembly. That is slightly over 9,000 lbs back there, I scaled it the day I brought it home.

Here is our old Hybrid Travel trailer, I have thousands of miles under my belt towing this with just a ball as well.

946374_653863747959168_306217109_n.jpg

Also I have a Titan V hitch on the truck as I needed the capacity for the tongue weight pulling the boat, used to be a 13K offshore, that same situation, surge brakes so ball only.

10626489_849485111730363_7049229355269890867_n.jpg

So with spread axles and a large tow vehicle I a well covered. I would never put my family or others at risk.