Just bought our first RV - 2014 BigHorn 3160EL

gpcvg

Yesterday we bought our first RV....ever. We have a bumper tow car hauler that has been converted into our competition BBQ rig and pull that often. We got a 2014 BigHorn 3160EL. I am sure that the fifth wheel is going to be very different towing than our BBQ trailer. We love it and look forward to using it soon. Some knee surgery and the holidays are keeping us from going out now.

Is there any advice out there that we should really look for during our walk through? We have a checklist we use every time we take the BBQ trailer out, should we have one with the Big Horn? What are items that are "must have" items for the 5th wheel?

I hope everyone understands that I am going to have a million questions till January(thats when I can walk again) and found that messages boards are great places to learn from.

Thanks for putting up with me in advance,
Gene

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: New Owners

My best advise is to ask lots of questions, take lots of notes, have them demontrate or at least let you operate all components including, air conditioning, heating, water heater in both gas and electric, television, water in both city and pump operation, slide operation (in and out), refrigerator in both electric and gas (or inverter), leveling the unit (electric or hydraulic), hookup to tow vehicle, and the location and how to operate (check it out) the emergency exits, fireplace, sewer both black and grey, and any other things. Make notes on any problems that are identified and have them repair them prior to leaving the lot if at all possible. Anything that does not get repaired get a time frame as to when it will be repaired and make an appointment to get it done. Oh yeah, have them SHOW you where the converter, water heater, and water pump are located even if it means removing the basement wall to actually see them. While in there check the water heater water connections to be sure they are tight and not leaking. Also have them SHOW you where the Anderson valve (4 way) is located in the UDC (universal Docking Center) and how (and what) each position does. Plan on spending 3-6 hours doing the walkthrough (PDI).

buddyboy

If it has a button, switch or any type of on off device, make sure you are shown how it works. Locate the fuses. Ask every question you can think of - even if they sound dumb (no dumb questions, only dumb answers). We also made a video of our walk-through since our memories aren't what they once were. Also, lean on the members of this forum - they're the best! I know we've done some "oh, no" things that between the manuals on here and the responses from our fellow owners we were able to rectify.

Martha

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

gpcvg,
Congratulations on your new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland family. Hope to see you down the road. Trace

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Congrats on your Bighorn. We are enjoying ours!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

You'll love the 3160EL.....we love ours.

Feel free to get the Pre-Delivery Document from the link in my signature. It will help you check the trailer for all sorts of little things that might have been overlooked during manufacturing....before signing the paperwork for the trailer.

jbeletti

Congrats and welcome!

I hope to see you at a rally somewhere within the region. Sure like to try some of that KY BBQ! Consider joining the club and joining us at the SE Region Rally in Pigeon Forge / Sevierville, TN

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Welcome to the Heartland crowd!

I know we've done some "oh, no" things that between the manuals on here and the responses from our fellow owners we were able to rectify.

Ain't that the truth . . .

This summer (mid August) as I was backing our Prowler into it's rightful parking spot in our side yard after arriving home from a camp out, the trailer's pigtail got caught on the truck's bumper hitch receiver and yanked it out of the connection box in the king pin . . .

:p DOH! :p

Blew a bunch of fuses in the truck and trailer as well . . .

Me sitting on a bar stool under the overhang with my iPad Air right next to me along with a bunch of fellow Heartland owners here in the chats got it rewired back up!

I'd probably still be out there trying to figure it out without this chat board!

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000736.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000739.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000734.jpg ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000744.jpg ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000743.jpg ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000746.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Congrads on the BH. Yes to what John said. Make sure you have an in bed 7 way plug installed. A BIG ALSO.....look at the tires. If they Towmax get rid of them ASAP. The Sailuns are a good "G" rated tire. and not real pricey. Cheaper now than having to replace them all later and the side of your trailer along with them.

Grizpaul

We are newbies and have learned a lot with much more to learn. Here are a few of our thoughts regarding the walk through. I strongly agree with the 'ask a lot of questions'. I asked a lot and now wish I'd asked even more. If the dealer has a pad for you to hook up and stay over night, take advantage of that. Then practice working the gizmos and gadgets, taking notes as you go, being sure to note those items you'd like them to clarify before you leave the site. Our walk thru took 3 1/2 hours and I felt as if we were being rushed toward the end. Don't let them hurry you. Lastly, these forum members are terrific. I have learned so much from their wisdom. Frequent this forum and I believe you will benefit greatly. We are having a blast and we hope you do as well. Welcome and safe journeys.

JohnD

If the dealer has a pad for you to hook up and stay over night, take advantage of that. Then practice working the gizmos and gadgets, taking notes as you go, being sure to note those items you'd like them to clarify before you leave the site.

I've been to lots of RV dealerships and have never seen one that had a place for a customer to stay overnight on-site . . .

However, we were lucky enough last January when our previous trailer broke down in Phoenix, AZ that right next door to the dealership we found to get us back on the road there was an RV park . . .

Lucky us!

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

L ) Spending the night next door so we can be first in line the next day.

R ) Us leaving at sunset after getting some axle repair.

gpcvg

Thanks for all the great advice and well wishes. I look at this site a few times each day reading and learning. We hope to attend a few rallies this spring/summer. We are doing our walk through on the December 14. We are having a few items added to the Bighorn before we take it to Florida. The dealer has offered to store the rig for free until January when I should be finished with physical therapy for my knee. Of course I told them I would be back to their GM side to buy the truck to tow the Bighorn. They have also offered to tape our walk through for us.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired

Thanks for all the great advice and well wishes. I look at this site a few times each day reading and learning. We hope to attend a few rallies this spring/summer. We are doing our walk through on the December 14. We are having a few items added to the Bighorn before we take it to Florida. The dealer has offered to store the rig for free until January when I should be finished with physical therapy for my knee. Of course I told them I would be back to their GM side to buy the truck to tow the Bighorn. They have also offered to tape our walk through for us.
Sounds like a great dealership Gene and I hope you will get to Florida and be able to attend our rally in April. If you look at the top of the forum, there is a tab for Events, click on that and scroll down to Navarre,Fl.,
click on that and it will give you all the info
LindaW

JohnD

You'll love that new truck!

I've been a Dodge truck guy since the 80's (have had five of them over the years) but now have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and love it!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000480.jpg ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg

If you ever get out west, we have a lot going on out here in the Heartland Owner's Club Mountain Region . . .

Come to one of our rallies if you can!

gpcvg

Linda,
We won't be at the rally in Navarre this year. We are scheduled to compete in a Florida BBQ contest in Dothan, AL that weekend. I did look at the schedule of rallies and think we are going to the one at Gulf Shores. We are looking forward to meeting folks and learning as much as we can along the way.

JohnD

We won't be at the rally in Navarre this year. We are scheduled to compete in a Florida BBQ contest in Dothan, AL that weekend.

Did you say "BBQ contest"???!!! :confused:

As I said above . . . PLEASE come to one of our HOC Mountain Region Rallies!!! :cool:

We love BBQ out here . . . :p

gpcvg

Did you say "BBQ contest"???!!! :confused:

As I said above . . . PLEASE come to one of our HOC Mountain Region Rallies!!! :cool:

We love BBQ out here . . . :p

We are planning on coming out west with the Bighorn.

We have a competition BBQ team that competes in about 10 to 15 contests each year. We have all our gear stored in a 22' car hauler that we take to each contest. I think we should plan on taking some BBQ in the freezer each time we go out. Our left over brisket is great in chili....not too bad at a contest either if I say so myself.