Just got smart phones

traveler44

There are a lot of GPS apps that are free but I haven't found one yet that is as handy as the garmin for finding places and how to get there. The only problem with our two garmins gps units, is that they go crazy sometimes and try to steer us wrong. Sometimes they start out right and then go nuts like they get lost or something. When we were heading over to the island to get tires it got us to near the causeway and then started trying to make us turn and then uturn. I knew it was wrong because I had looked the location up on the pc. So if you have found a good app for gps please let me know. Thanks

happyappy

If you have an android phone the Google navigator works great. You don't have to know the address... Just tell if where you want to go... Say "navigate to the closest Walmart" for example. The only downside is it requires a cell connection.

There are some paid apps that download the maps so you don't have to have a cell connection but I'm not familiar with those.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Theresau

My tablet is 4G LTE so I get a cell connection with it. Verizon for the most part has great coverage. I also use the mobile hot spot.

olcoon

Tom, I'm surprised no one has put anything here about Munzee There are a lot of people on here that are Munzee addicts. Check out the website, (click on Munzee above), there is a free app for your phone. Munzee is sort of like Geocaching but you use your smart phone instead of a GPS. Also us Heartland Munzee addicts also now have our own page on Facebook to share things. Bernie Ver Hey (Happykraut) will also be giving a seminar on it at the Goshen Rally.

Last edited by a moderator:

traveler44

I am hoping to get a Grandson to help me a little with this Iphone when we get home. Right now I have some minor problems, like when I go to the weather where my son lives in Mo. it shows the weather at my location in Fl.,and I can't seem to change it, everything else works fine on it though. The Google Navigator is kind of basic on the Iphone too but it is better than some hand held GPS units that I have seen. The voice command is nice on the Navigator but I'm not sure if I can get it on the Iphone or if it's just available for Droids. I watched a teenager in a restraunt where we were at the other day sending messages with one hand and her thumb looked like it must have been double jointed. I can't work a keyboard that fast even with a pointer. It might be awhile before I can start using the phone for games, right now we are happy if they do anything we want done. Tom

olcoon

Tom,
For the weather someplace other than where you are, tap on the "i" in the lower right corner, it will change screens, then tap on the "+" in the upper left corner, then you can enter the city & state you want the weather in. Is it an iPhone 5, if so iyou can have fun with Siri. I googled tips for iPhone 5, and got a bunch of helpful stuff along with "stupid" questions to ask Siri, some of the answers are pretty funny.

Roy

happykraut

Tom, I'm surprised no one has put anything here about Munzee There are a lot of people on here that are Munzee addicts. Check out the website, (click on Munzee above), there is a free app for your phone. Munzee is sort of like Geocaching but you use your smart phone instead of a GPS. Also us Heartland Munzee addicts also now have our own page on Facebook to share things. Bernie Ver Hey (Happykraut) will also be giving a seminar on it at the Goshen Rally.
Roy, thanks for the plug.

brianharrison

App for iphones - OurGroceries

Creates instantaneous synced lists on multiple smart phones - the wife creates the shopping list and I pick it up on the way home. Our kids used to use it while at home to add their items to the grocery list. Sometimes they actually did the shopping because the list was on their phone. Cross off the items as you pick them up.

Brian

I use it to create my list for hardware store, etc - memory is good; just short

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I know lots of people use Tapatalk, but there are a couple of versions out there. One is free but has in-app purchases available for further functions. There is one compatible with both iPhone and iPad for $3.99 and an iPad only one for 4.99. Which is the best to get if you want both phone and iPad, but use mostly iPad? Does the 3.99 one look good on the iPad or is it worth it to get both the one for the phone and the one for the iPad separately?

Kristy

danemayer

I know lots of people use Tapatalk, but there are a couple of versions out there. One is free but has in-app purchases available for further functions. There is one compatible with both iPhone and iPad for $3.99 and an iPad only one for 4.99. Which is the best to get if you want both phone and iPad, but use mostly iPad? Does the 3.99 one look good on the iPad or is it worth it to get both the one for the phone and the one for the iPad separately?

Kristy

Hi Ziggy,

I can't compare the iPad version to the iPhone version because I'm using an Android phone. BUT, the iPad version is worth every penny. The layout and usability are outstanding. For reading lots of updates to the forum, it's much faster than a computer because you just touch the next thread on the left side of the screen and the posts show up on the right side. It's much better than the Android phone version, which is probably similar to the iPhone version. The small screen just has limitations.

porthole

Retired
Probably 99% of the time I use the Safari browser to view the forum on the iPad and Tap-A-Talk on the phone.
If you have your "I" stuff set up correctly, download the iPad version and the phone version will show up in a few minutes on the phone.

For the iPad I will use the TaT when I want to add a photo or file to a post.

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sounds like I need to head to the App Store to do some shopping.

Thanks Guys.

Kristy