Just in time for Summer - A FIREPLACE!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH (MrTravelTiger) did a great job on this install! I found a "scratch and dent" fireplace on ebay that fit the hole just perfect. HL had already wired for a separate, 20amp circuit in this space, so all we had to do was remove the shelf, build a platform, and slide it in.

Before.jpg
Before
ShelfRemoved.jpg
Shelf pieces after removal
Hole-WiringAlreadyInPlace.jpg
Opening, with wiring already in place. (There was a wall plug already in the cabinet. It was wired to its own 20amp breaker. We used it for our stand-alone heater.)
Paint and add wiring-hide panel.jpg
Added a base for the fireplace to sit on (could not sit on carpet.) The fireplace also had little feet, so it was slightly raised from the cabinet frame. We painted it black, so you would not see the wood under the fireplace. Also added the "wiring hider" back in place.

Photo May 12, 1 51 39 PM (HDR).jpg
Final fireplace completed and "burning"! This is a Dimplex DF2608 Fireplace self- framing insert.

Last edited:

ParkIt

Great job, looks factory installed. Is it a flip down to turn it on and adjust the temperature?
You'll enjoy it in the morning to take the chill off without having to use the propane though it depends on where you are and if you'll get to use it before fall.

oldmannj

WOW!!! Looks great! You have one talented DH there Erika. I'd like to do that in the Trailrunner if only I had the room. ED.

dfk009

Very clean and neat installation. Our most enjoyed option that we ordered on our Elkridge (4 legged kids sure cuddle in front of it). On a chilly night, a glass of wine, a snack, watching a good movie.

TravelTiger

The bottom panel flips down to reveal controls: adjustable flame-speed, and glow-brightness, and also a separate heat control...on or off, then turn a knob to adjust the thermostat. It also has a remote, for turning it on or off only.

We have had a small Duraflame "stove", which operates much like the electric fireplaces. It gives ambiance and heat. However, we have to move it to the closet each time we travel, and take it out of the rig during the summer cause it's in the way. This is like "factory built-in". We will enjoy it, because we need the supplemental heat when we 4-season camp. :)

TravelTiger

Duane, I was specifically looking for a Dimplex, because I seemed to remember that is what was being installed as OEM back in 2009. This model was within 1/4" of our opening, for the perfect fit. It had good reviews from other RVers that had done a similar install. I saved about $200 off new (made an offer.)

If one had better carpentry skills, they could make others work, I'm sure. There are some great features on these electric fireplaces now!

Westwind

Great Job! Looks like a factory install! I thought it was the dumbest option on our new FW, but man has it paid for itself over the last two seasons "Snowbirding" in Florida.

ParkIt

Tony, not sure if you have a ceiling fan but one thing that was nice when it would get chilly in the evening was to have the fireplace on and the ceiling fan on low with all the doors open to the bedroom. It moved enough air to the front so it wasn't chilly getting into bed and still had enough heat while watching a movie in the evening.

You will probably use it more than you thought, real saver on propane if you are at a site with electric built into the space rent. It isn't as noisy as the house heat too, you can program it with your (jealous) remote using the low setting on the ceiling fan.