Just toured the Big Horn factory today...... very informative

GoonF250

The DW and i toured the BH factory today. The tour cleared up a lot of our questions and was very interesting and well done. Two issues/concerns arose for me , 1) in the front storage compartment the floor has templates cut into it for the gen prep, problem being if you dont get the gen these holes are open to the outside. I can't see how you wouldn't get everything in the compartment soaked when travelling in the rain. 2) when asked about the cooling issues with the whisper air the discussion went into two answers..... going away from present air conditioner supplier and/or changing roof construction , some kind of steel material and fiberglass..... details were sketchy as it still on the planning floor. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

DickO

The cutouts in the front compartment are a concern for me also. We have a 3160 on order. Looks like I will fill with auto putty.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
To answer your first question, I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit and added a couple of 2'x2' carpet tiles. Stays dry. might get a bit of dust but that's from the roads we travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 2015 Landmark Key Largo with the punch-out bottom but within the 2 years of owning it, we haven't had any problems with it getting wet during travel. We added a plastic sheet and a piece of carpet which protects anything within the compartment.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have had no problems with my front compartment getting wet while traveling due to the cut outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippendale

I cleaned both sides, top and bottom and then applied black Gorilla Tape to both sides. No problem so far.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have had the cutouts in our last two 5th wheels. In both I added a masonite sheet and then carpeted the bottom of the whole front compartment. We carry enough heavy items in there to keep everything in place. It has not gotten dusty and mice have not been a problem.

GoonF250

Thanks for all the replies/comments............. i'll put that concern to rest! Best place to get info is here on the forum. Thxs again.

brianlajoie

We had mice in our basement. They started using the carpet to make a nest. Had to wash the rugs when I cleaned and disinfected the basement.

If you will notice at the top of the front compartment, there are large holes where critters could get in. May want to tape those too to keep out the mice.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I noticed those when I first got my new 5ver. I used the expanding foam insulation all along any area showing a gap.

We had mice in our basement. They started using the carpet to make a nest. Had to wash the rugs when I cleaned and disinfected the basement.

If you will notice at the top of the front compartment, there are large holes where critters could get in. May want to tape those too to keep out the mice.

wehavefun

The roof change is they are going to roof bows and away from the molded roof. No more styrofoam, I understand it will be wool insulation like DRV.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GoonF250

The roof change is they are going to roof bows and away from the molded roof. No more styrofoam, I understand it will be wool insulation like DRV.

I like that change..... any timetable when this will take place?

Nuclearcowboy

The DW and i toured the BH factory today. The tour cleared up a lot of our questions and was very interesting and well done. Two issues/concerns arose for me , 1) in the front storage compartment the floor has templates cut into it for the gen prep, problem being if you dont get the gen these holes are open to the outside. I can't see how you wouldn't get everything in the compartment soaked when travelling in the rain. 2) when asked about the cooling issues with the whisper air the discussion went into two answers..... going away from present air conditioner supplier and/or changing roof construction , some kind of steel material and fiberglass..... details were sketchy as it still on the planning floor. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.
I like the cutouts in the floor of the front compartment, since that is where I store my Tiki torch fluids, charcoal container, etc. It gives me confidence that there is a little ventilation available to this compartment. I've never had an issue with water getting up in there during travel.

wehavefun

I bought a rubber cow bedding mat from tractor supply, cut it to fit and placed it in the bottom of my front compartment. Works great, stays dry and nothing slides around.

C-Haert

All.

I too store lube, oil, consumables, and portable generator in the front compartment of my 3160EL; however, I didn't seal the cutouts in the sheet metal floor. Instead, I left them open to provide air flow and I store all of the miscellaneous items in large plastic tubes (with lids), purchase from WMT. Keeps all clean, dust/water free and organized...without compromising ventilation.

c-Haert
:cool:

wdk450

All.

I too store lube, oil, consumables, and portable generator in the front compartment of my 3160EL; however, I didn't seal the cutouts in the sheet metal floor. Instead, I left them open to provide air flow and I store all of the miscellaneous items in large plastic tubes (with lids), purchase from WMT. Keeps all clean, dust/water free and organized...without compromising ventilation.

c-Haert
:cool:

I have 3 maintenance-free batteries in the front compartment as part of my 4 battery system for my power inverter. Although these batteries are hydrogen sealed, the air circulation in the compartment is an added level of safety.