Just When I Thought I Had Seen It All

SilverRhino

Yesterday a new neighbor moved into the campsite next to us with their 40 ft toy hauler. They pulled in while we were away from our coach and did not see them set up. This morning while I was out with the dogs, I noticed that the front of their coach was up on "jack stands". The front landing gear was not extended at all and the coach is resting on a two by six block placed on top of the stands.

I also noticed that their hoses, sewer and fresh water were all brand new, so I figure they had recently purchased the unit. When the owner came out this morning I struck up a conversation and brought up the landing gear. I asked him if they were having a problem with them extending. He told me "no, they work fine, I just think the trailer is more stable when on the "jack stands"". I mentioned that I never had issues using the front landing gear to which he responded "guess I do it different". Did not want to start an argument so I just dropped the issue.

The attached photos show the stands under the landing gear and it is obvious that they are not even directly under the center of the legs, and the block of wood on one has started to split! I just do not understand how people can do such foolish things when dealing with something that weighs as much as an RV.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 347

Bones

wow. I will agree that having the tube type landing gear are a bit wobbly but I would not do this stupidity and on top of that a front tripod will not work well with a reese sidewinder. One day something will move and the whole thing will topple down. I just don't want to be next to them.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Darwin award goes to.

Last edited:

Kbvols

I guess different strokes.....but wow does not look safe at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlw930

It doesn't look safe because it isn't safe. To make it worse, the jack isn't centered under the landing gear, which is probably why the 2x6 split. As the saying goes, "Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyone's garden."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

As the old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him _______ ______ !!"

weekender01

Wow is all I can really say. While I do not wish anything bad to happen it is just a matter of time before it does. Oh to be a neighbor when it does could be rather amusing/entertaining.

wrgrs50s

An accident waiting to happen !

I wonder if he was talking to someone that recommended using jack stands under the frame to help stabilize the rig and he totally misunderstood. Who knows where he came up with this idea.............. It may drop in the back of his truck when he tries to hitch up to leave.

Hope he don't have his wife or kid under there guiding him in !!!!

jimtoo

So what's gonna happen when he backs up to hook on???? Is he going to raise it with the jack stands or the regular landing gear.???

Please stand by and have video cam ready... this should be good.

Jim M

Lucky828

Yesterday a new neighbor moved into the campsite next to us with their 40 ft toy hauler. They pulled in while we were away from our coach and did not see them set up. This morning while I was out with the dogs, I noticed that the front of their coach was up on "jack stands". The front landing gear was not extended at all and the coach is resting on a two by six block placed on top of the stands.

I also noticed that their hoses, sewer and fresh water were all brand new, so I figure they had recently purchased the unit. When the owner came out this morning I struck up a conversation and brought up the landing gear. I asked him if they were having a problem with them extending. He told me "no, they work fine, I just think the trailer is more stable when on the "jack stands"". I mentioned that I never had issues using the front landing gear to which he responded "guess I do it different". Did not want to start an argument so I just dropped the issue.

The attached photos show the stands under the landing gear and it is obvious that they are not even directly under the center of the legs, and the block of wood on one has started to split! I just do not understand how people can do such foolish things when dealing with something that weighs as much as an RV.

He thinks your jealous cause you didn't think it first. I know the type LOL

buddyboy

Two comments leap to mind:

You can't fix stupid; and
You can't argue with crazy.

Winner, hands down, of this year's Darwin Award!