Just When I Thought I Had Seen It All

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
In this case I would not care if I hurt his feelings or not, he needs to be told how unsafe and unstable that is. If he does not listen, like what was mentioned before, the park manager needs to be alerted.

The park manager should ask him to fix this situation . . . or ask him to leave with no other options.

SilverRhino

Update..... The owner came back to the park yesterday after being gone and was upset that I had posted pictures of his mistake. Told him that I was concerned about the safety of the issue and he said "I see what kind of person you are and don't talk to me anymore"!

He then put his truck under the trailer and removed the wooden blocks but, still perched the coach on top of the stands. He was able to hook up this morning and leave without incident, but it is just a matter of time before a disaster happens. I wish him nothing but the best and hope that he listens to someone and stops his unsafe practices.

Travel Safe!

SilverRhino

I believe he saw the picture on fifth wheel street ....... but it could have been somewhere else as it had many shares! Oh ...... not one comment was in favor of his method ... Big Surprise !!

JohnD

He was able to hook up this morning and leave without incident, but it is just a matter of time before a disaster happens.

I wish him nothing but the best and hope that he listens to someone and stops his unsafe practices.

Travel Safe!

All it would take is a strong wind to blow that thing down . . .

And I would also think that it would be very shaky just walking around inside of the trailer!

I hope to never have that guy as a neighbor in our travels . . .

Power-Stroke

SilverRhino...

For what it's worth.... I would not lose any sleep over this. You did what you (and everyone else) thought was responsible. Perhaps after the offended party sleeps on it, they will come to see that your feedback was well intended. Regardless, you're "clean" on this.

Just my 2 cents!

Jay

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
SilverRhino...

For what it's worth.... I would not lose any sleep over this. You did what you (and everyone else) thought was responsible. Perhaps after the offended party sleeps on it, they will come to see that your feedback was well intended. Regardless, you're "clean" on this.

Just my 2 cents!

Jay

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

yes I agree with Power-Stroke as well. Maybe he should have had the jack stands under his frame and locked in there. At least that would have been a better idea than sticking them under the landing gear like that. One would thing that if so many people and places are commenting at how unsafe that practice is that one would listen and come up with a better idea. Just because your a truck driver doesn't mean you know how to deliver freight.

JohnD

yes I agree with Power-Stroke as well. Maybe he should have had the jack stands under his frame and locked in there. At least that would have been a better idea than sticking them under the landing gear like that. One would thing that if so many people and places are commenting at how unsafe that practice is that one would listen and come up with a better idea. Just because your a truck driver doesn't mean you know how to deliver freight.

I used to run into the same thing when I would see people with their weight distributing bumper hitch hooked up completely wrong and I'd say something . . . but no more!

More people would give me the 'ol "I know what I'm doing!" speach . . . so now I just keep my mouth shut.

Heck . . . when we were camping at the Buena Vista KOA a couple of months back, our neighbor told me (several times) that he was 82 years old and a retired truck driver, and that his Chevy Silverado 1500 was plenty to pull his new-to-him Montana 5th-wheeler (that according to the sticker was 3,000 pounds heavier and five feet longer than our Prowler) in the Rocky Mountains.

We discussed this issue at length, but I finally gave up.

When I noticed the BlowMax tires on it . . . I didn't have the heart to burst his bubble.

Power-Stroke

I've had similar experiences of trying to be helpful and getting met with "I know what I'm doing" or "mind your own business". However, I would say this experience is the exception... generally, most folks are appreciative and say "thanks".

Friendly request....
If anyone ever sees a blue Cyclone 4200 with North Carolina tags (towed by gray Ram 3500) doing something you believe to be unsafe, please come talk to me. I will be grateful for you taking the time to point it out. You never know when your feedback might save someone's life or save someone from having to write a big check to repair something that was avoidable.

Jay

Some people....

It's funny reading this thread. My wife and I are saying, "Well we would do this" and then the next comment suggests it. Most RVers try to keep themselves and others safe, but there's always that 10% that screws it up for the rest. I agree, if I'm doing something unsafe, PLEASE say something. RVing is expensive, I don't need to add to it by doing something stupid. And we all, both experienced and novice, do something stupid from time to time. I'm just glad "know it all" didn't get physical. I don't usually butt into other people's business but I would have definitely struck up a conversation with this guy to try to set him straight. I have also been driving large vehicles for over 30 years but I have always been cautious. Pulling a rig is like flying. There are two most dangerous times. Teardown / hookup and unhook / setup. Everything else that happens is the result of that.