Keyless Entry Lock recommendation?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We had our front door lock replaced this spring since the key broke off in the lock. This summer, I stepped outside to let Hunter go potty and the door locked behind me. Obviously, I could hide a key somewhere so this doesn't happen again, but I'm really interested in keyless entry. Any recommendations?

Alice

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had two rv locks by jt guardian on our last 2 coaches. The first one on the 08 big country had alot of problems but the revised one that we got at the national rally is alot better. Lippert bought the company, made some changes which work a lot better plus now has a keyless keypad as well as the remote fab. It was one of the rally special that lippert had at the rally.

danemayer

Alice,

Keyless entry is great, but I would never go outside without also carrying a key as backup. The transmitters are typically battery powered and the battery can die without warning.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The above keyless locks also comes with a standard key in case of battery failure which our first one did all the time.

jbeletti

Alice,

We have the new RV Lock by Lippert and love it. Like others have said, 3 ways to use it (key, fob and keypad). I agree with Dan - always know where a key is that is NOT inside the RV (backup :)).

mobilcastle

I just recieved mine and I will install it soon. Hope it works well.
Alice,

We have the new RV Lock by Lippert and love it. Like others have said, 3 ways to use it (key, fob and keypad). I agree with Dan - always know where a key is that is NOT inside the RV (backup :)).

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We just got the RV lock at the big rally in June. We really like ours too we have two sets of the remotes and keys so we each have a set. Kenny is much better at carrying his keys then I am. We also have the key pad out side .

jpdoggett

We have one that was on our Landmark when we bought it, and it is a big piece junk quit working within a week replaced and was still s piece of junk. We are getting ready to get one of the new rv-locks seen them and used one like it.

katkens

We just got the RV lock at the big rally in June. We really like ours too we have two sets of the remotes and keys so we each have a set. Kenny is much better at carrying his keys then I am. We also have the key pad out side .

Here is the one we got and Lippert sells the same one.........http://www.rvlock.com/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours doesn't work as well as I would like, but I think it was an early model. (won at a rally). It's still better than fighting to get the key into the original.

One thing to consider is where your handle crosses the door. If the handle folds across your door handle now, you may have issues with the new keyless lock. It sticks out farther than the original, and can keep the folded handle from seating properly. We ended up adding spacers behind the handle brackets.

IMG_8519.jpg

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Thanks for all the input. I'm trying to figure out where I can safely hide a key outside. When this happened I was home alone and I didn't take my cellphone or my keys outside with the dog. I had to go use the office phone to call Eric as it was a hot day. (Hunters very fuzzy.) I'll look into the new locks. We would love a key fob, keypad too. I'm thinking I'll lock a spare in the truck bc if the truck is around, it has the keypad. But that doesn't help when the truck isn't around. Lol

DocFather

Most propane tank compartments do not have locks. Hide one in there somewhere. Or hide it in a magnetic key holder and stick it under your truck bed rail.

katkens-DW

Why not just get a key holder and attach it to the frame of the trailer. That way the truck don't have to be there.. Maybe by the rear jacks..

jimtoo

What I have done is buy one of these lock boxes. You could probably get a good used one from a Realtor in your area for very little. I have a truck key, trailer key and even a 751 key in the box. It is large enough to hold about 4-5 keys. I keep mine latched in a unused hole on my 5th wheel hitch in bed of truck. Easy to open (2 number combo) and very secure and you put your own number for combo in it. It just hangs there and nobody notices it. Just part of the hitch.

Jim M

happyappy

What I have done is buy one of these lock boxes. You could probably get a good used one from a Realtor in your area for very little. I have a truck key, trailer key and even a 751 key in the box. It is large enough to hold about 4-5 keys. I keep mine latched in a unused hole on my 5th wheel hitch in bed of truck. Easy to open (2 number combo) and very secure and you put your own number for combo in it. It just hangs there and nobody notices it. Just part of the hitch.

Jim M

I like that idea! I'll also use it to store a key for the truck since keyless entry isn't an option for me.