Southco Keyless Entry

MTPockets

We have the system as well. What I found was this: The system works well every time you use the keypad ... 'but' - it seems that if it's locked with the key, then it won't un-lock with the keypad. I've stood there and tried this several times, and when I lock it with the keypad, it unlocks fine using the keypad... 10 seconds later after locking with the key, the keypad won't unlock it.... Is that contacts or what? .... It aways works well if you never use the key, but sometimes we do use the key just to make sure we lock up before going out.....

danemayer

if it's locked with the key, then it won't un-lock with the keypad.

MAYBE there's a bind in the deadbolt such that when the keypad/solenoid moves the deadbolt, it's just barely locked and is then able to unlock with the keypad/solenoid. When you turn it with the key, you may be getting past the bind, but the solenoid is unable to do so after using the key. If there's a bind, you may be able to feel the resistance when using the key. Adjusting the striker plate on the door frame would probably resolve it.

Another possibility is that your door contacts are slightly dirty and the solenoid is just barely able to operate, perhaps not throwing the deadbolt fully, and not able to pull it fully after you use the key.

MTPockets

Don't believe it's binding, key works easily and smooth. Also, if there was a bind, I think I would hear the solenoid try to move. If contacts were dirty, I would think there would be a problem on occasion when using the keyless entry. It 'always' works if both locked and then un-locked using the keypad. Possibly the contacts, but doesn't seem logical.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If I recall correctly, mine has never unlocked with the keypad if it was locked manually. Doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gus, ours locks and unlocks with the keypad. But I just checked and ours will not unlock with the kp if its locked with key either. We never carry our key so thats not really an issue. But We will be storing one in the vehicle.

danemayer

Just tried ours. Locked with the key. Unlocked with the keypad. I can't imagine they would have designed it to operate any other way.

I can imagine that if the voltage to the solenoid is marginal, or if there is a mechanical issue impeding free movement of the parts, you could have mixed success. Parts can be mounted wrong. Solenoids can be tilted, binding the actuator, and also, over time, they can get gummed up and operate poorly.

Spend 30 seconds cleaning the door contacts with a pencil eraser or with Isopropyl Alcohol. Or if you don't have anything else, just rub the contacts with a piece of cloth.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Dan for the info. Now that I know it is suppose to work, I will look further into it.

jhardin

I have had problems with the keypad also. Dead batteries have been the problem for me. But here’s a suggestion (may be defeating the purpose). Since it is so much trouble to remove the keypad from the camper, remove eight tiny screws, and then replace battery. Just keep the key pad in you truck or pocket, it will unlock the door from 30 or 40 feet away, then when the battery goes dead you don’t have to remove it! :)

JJOren

LOL Jhardin....a suggestion with some real common sense....LOL

But the list continues to grow.....there is definitely an issue with the product!

jpdoggett

I have had trouble with mine ever since we got the Landmark with it on. Dead battery replaced outside keypad. it's more trouble than it is worth. Just use my key

ChopperBill

Going on two years with our BH and the only time I time it seem to have a problem is if you dont push hard enough on the key pad. I did notice once when I used the key to lock it the key pad wouldnt. But that was only one occurrence. I tried to pull the door open with the key pad locked and no amount of tugging would open it. Pretty much happy with ours.(knocking on wood)

MTPockets

We have the system as well. What I found was this: The system works well every time you use the keypad ... 'but' - it seems that if it's locked with the key, then it won't un-lock with the keypad. I've stood there and tried this several times, and when I lock it with the keypad, it unlocks fine using the keypad... 10 seconds later after locking with the key, the keypad won't unlock it.... Is that contacts or what? .... It aways works well if you never use the key, but sometimes we do use the key just to make sure we lock up before going out.....

I contacted Southco - They referred me to Lippert ............. Here is my question to them and their response.... Seems like there "is" a bind in mine, and could explain the operation in others... Sounds like a door alignment/location issue....

""" Ispoke with the R & D department and here is their reply

I haverun into this and what we found was that the dead bolt can't engage full strokebecause it hits the wall. This puts the cam in a bind. To fix this they candrill a hole in the wall to allow the dead bolt to fully engage. This comesfrom crowding the door to the latch side.
Ifyou have any questions please contact Lippert at the following # 574-537-8900

GaryMarvel
Lippert Components,Inc.
Kinro, Inc.
Customer ServiceDivision #39
Divisions of DrewIndustries
1701 Century Drive
Goshen, IN 46528
574-537-8900
Fax: 574-534-7161 """