Kingpin Tripods

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
My pin stabilizer did nothing to reduce movement so I turned it into this:

001-3.jpg

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
palebluedot - I have a set of scissor jacks that I put in front of the axles, but maybe too far forward. I placed them at the end of the lower front frame more or less under the steps that lead to the bedroom. They helped but not like I thought they would. So if I move then to just in front of the axle, would you think that I would get less bounce and a more stable feel? I have on old bi-pod that I had for my 30ft HHII, and it did seem to help, but I think it isn't heavy enough for the Big Horn. I wonder what shipping would be to get your tripod to Kansas City? Send me a PM with how much it weighs, I'll see what shipping charges will be. I may be interested in it.

palebluedot

SLJKansas (Steve)
I think the secret to the scissor jacks is to take some of the weight off the axle springs so they cannot flex downward when walking around in the coach. I try to raise the frame about 1 inch with the jacks. To accomplish this, they have to be placed very near the axles. I have a treated 6X6 placed vertically under the jack as it is too great a height between the ground and the frame for the jack itself. I am weighing the tri-pod per your request and will PM you with that info and hopefully a photo sometime this AM. It is 17 degrees in south MS this morning, so it make take a couple hours.

wdk450

DIY Stabilizers

I have used a aluminum tripod, which does stabilize the RV. It is difficult to use if you have a TrailAir hitch-pin. I built the attached landing jack stabilizers for under $40, they are lighter, permanently attached, no storage space required, and under a minute to tighten. You can buy similar jack stabilizers online for $369 or more. After using both, I prefer to landing jack stabilizers.

Forrest

Forrest:
I have been wanting stabilizers, but like you, don't like the price for what they are. I am ready to start building a couple pair as a winter project. I can't seem to exactly figure out your materials from the pictures.

Here are some questions:
1. What are the 2 sizes of pipe? I am assuming they are steel conduit.
2. What are the details of your center clamp? I see what looks like the thumbscrew on a hose clamp, and maybe some hose (or is that a conduit connector?)
3. Is there anything critical about the angle brackets you used?
4. Are the trailer (not landing gear) ends connected to trailer metal frame or to wood framing?

Thanks for the great idea!!!

Delaine and Lindy

Stablization...

There are so many issues that can cause movement. The cheapest gadget I tried was a simple screw type jack stand. Placed just in front of the front axle. They did help in movement, but anything less that concrete blocks and shims you will have some movement in many 5th wheels. We some forget we are setting on air and springs. Good Luck to all. GBY...

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
palebluedot.
I have 10X10x16 that a friend gave me to put under the jacks, his FIL cuts railroad ties and there were left over pieces, untreated. Will be putting polyurethane on them and installing handles before I use then next season. I had them in front of the axles 3-4 ft. (from memory) so moving them back may help.

Send you a PM pack.

dynaguy

build your own KPS?

I just purchased a new cyclone 3950 and the parts manager at lakeshore rv recommended a king pin stabilizer. I see quite a few replys to the original thread and was just curious if any of the members had ever built there own stabilizer. The cost is extremely cheap to just buy one the concept certainly seems to be correct I just wondered if there was a range of different quality and if so is there any one brand to buy or maybe since I weld i can make my own. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks, TC

dynaguy

Some real good ideas but I have to say that I really like the one posted by SouthernNights. Welding for a hobby thats a pretty creative use of a tripod. I will have to buy one , cut it apart and make me one of those!! DG

I had one and gave it away. Didn't make any difference and a big hassle to lug around and set up. We are going to get the JT stabalizers this year. I have heard that they do make a difference. Could use some help here, do they really work or will they be like the tripod?????

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I had one and gave it away. Didn't make any difference and a big hassle to lug around and set up. We are going to get the JT stabalizers this year. I have heard that they do make a difference. Could use some help here, do they really work or will they be like the tripod?????

I will say the Jt's was one of my better Rv investments and work as advertised. I have had them for 3 years and no regrets. I like the price better way back when I got them , lots cheaper back then.:D...Kenny

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Al, You'll love em. Kenny made me getem. But they aren't cheep !!!!

Didn't you know its my job to help you spend your monies on neat RV stuff. Now ,if I could only get the other forum members from posting all these new mods ,I would be in fine shape. DW reads/looks at them and yes , they all seem to make my to do list. ....Bob

Ok, I got a question... I am new to the 5th wheel scene ( haven't got it yet, should be here in a week or two ). I am interested in this topic and some of the comments. I am wondering if those of you on her commenting on the movement have front AND rear jacks....or just the front jacks??? My previous TT had a jack on each corner and was very stable. I assume that my new 3610RE would be the same with the four jacks. Only having the two front jacks would allow a lot more movement...I think?!?!?!?!?

DXprowler

Larry... your braces look awfully familiar, just like the ones on my tripod! lol Good job! Just wondering what you used to attach the ends with. Any closeup pics?

SouthernNights

BILL,

I cut the top of the tripod where the legs attach and welded the tripod bracket to the dolly pad.

The upper bracket was made out of a piece of 3/16 flat bar. Welded two ears to the flat bar and the bolted it the frame.

I will get some pics for you.

SouthernNights

This was the top of the tripod where the legs attach, it is now welded to the dolly pad:
HPIM1419.jpg

Upper bracket-note the angle. It is not square on the frame but at an angle so it will line up with the dolly leg which is inside the frame rails.

HPIM1418.jpg