kitchen sink replacement

Bobby A

Can't find any related info on this subject so I wanted feedback please. As we are restoring our 2010 unit we are wanting to replace our 2 bowl sink to a new farmers style undermount one. Ours is currently a undermount and has radious corners. Has anyone done this ?? Its gonna require cutting the hard surface counter top on the corners to make it square to accommodate the new farmers style sink. I would like feedback please.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To cut the Hanex countertop, a jigsw with a fine tooth blade should work. Your new sink should have a cut-out template with it. Secure that to the top of the existing countertop to properly cut the opening. If you're cutting more than just the radiused corners, drill a pilot hole for the saw blade before trying to cut. That's probably the easy part. Once cut, the raw edges will need to be sanded to a fine grit to smooth them out. Most likely this will be a hand operation, or possibly done with a bullnose or radius profile router bit. Expect it to be messy.

The other consideration may be getting the new sink into the cabinet to mount it. Check the dimensions carefully before starting anything. That, and trying to secure it to the underside of the countertop will be tricky, especially if it's a deeper sink.

No, I haven't done this specifically, but did have to add more mounting clips to the sink in our 3670, as well as monkey around with the large double bowl (overmount) sink in our house a couple of times.

Bogie

I changed our two bowl undermount sink for a single bowl stainless steel rectangle undermount sink.

Re-working the the hole in the counter top was much the same as working with Corian. After removing the old sink I used masking taped and marked the new corners and edges Used a Forstner bit to drill the corners. Then a fine toothed carbide blade on a small circular saw to make the straight cuts to the corners. A jig saw on the final 1/4" to the corner radius. You can use a jig saw for all of it too, but I think you get a smoother, straighter cut with a circular saw. Then use files to clean up any small imperfections and blade marks. Once the new hole was done, I used a carbide radius bit on the router to match the radius on the existing edges. Then it's a matter of various aluminum oxide sand paper (down to 600 grit) to smooth the new cuts. Finally, counter top polish to finish it up.

As JohnDar already said. It is a bit messy.

If you decide to tackle this, I would suggest you look for YouTube videos on how to work Corian couinter tops. It would be helpful.

Bobby A

Thank you guys very much for your input, wanted to make sure it was doable, I have been looking for farmers sinks from E- trailer and Amazon.
Thanks again,

alliec

I'm in the midst of trying to do same and unsure what sink to replace with. Did you all decide on something? any pics of how it turned out?