Ladder Support

danemayer

On our extended ski trips, I have to frequently get up on the roof, sometimes twice a day if there's heavy snow. I've been experimenting a bit with ways to reduce flex that loosens the standoffs.

The flex originates at the top of the ladder. The first 90 degree bend as it comes out of the roof mount is the part that flexes. The horizontal standoffs can't do much to reduce the flex.

I thought perhaps reinforcing that first 90 degree bend might get rid of the flex. I found some conduit guides that fit but it was obvious that the flex problem was moved to the roof mount. Not wanting to damage the roof or roof mount, I gave up on that idea.

I've been using 2x4s with notches to support the ladder at the lower standoffs. The first problem I encountered is that depending on slope of the site, the height of the supporting 2x4 might have to vary quite a bit. I tried out 2x4s with a series of notches, which provided the necessary support, and allowed for different heights. Unfortunately, having cut multiple notches weakened the wood and it wasn't long before a notch broke off.

HOWEVER, the basic concept of providing support from underneath did stabilize the ladder and eliminate the flex.

Before our latest trip, I decided to try out a PVC solution, pictured below. The top pipe is 1-1/2" which slides into a 2" pipe. A tee fitting is attached to the top of the 1-1/2" pipe and another tee fitting is glued to the bottom of the 2" pipe. The horizontal portion of the tee fittings have been cut lengthwise on a radial arm saw as shown. That allows the top tee to embrace the ladder standoff and the bottom tee to provide a foot to grip various surfaces.

Drilling holes in the 1-1/2" pipe allows the top pipe to be pinned at the necessary height. Drilling at 1/2" spacing and then rotating 90 degrees and drilling another set of holes at 1/2" spacing allows me to set the height to the nearest 1/4" and the locking pin holds the pipes together at the selected height.

All the parts came from Home Depot.

Ladder-full-view.jpg Ladder-top-support.jpg Ladder-Foot.jpg Ladder-Locking-Pin.jpg

I realize that everyone would prefer to not have to do modifications to get a reliable ladder, but until such a time as a more stable ladder is available, and there's a retrofit kit, maybe you'll find this helpful.

For the cracking endcap problem, a small hose clamp mounted over a 1/2" strip of gasket material underneath each endcap keeps the rungs from moving and stops the endcaps from breaking. It's not beautiful, but I've had no problems for the past 3 years.

Attachments

• Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    Ladder-Support-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 291

Gizzy

I had a pair of slide out supports from TT days laying around and now use one of them to support the ladder. VERY adjustable and works great. Had I not had it I would certainly be trying your idea.

Greengas

Dan

You better apply for a Paten for that idea before someone steals it and you find it selling for $150.00 at Camping World.

danemayer

Dan

You better apply for a Paten for that idea before someone steals it and you find it selling for $150.00 at Camping World.

LOL! My contribution to the entrepreneur who wants to make it.

On the other hand, I have an idea for Atwood that might improve the ladders at minimal if any extra cost, and allow for retrofits. But I'd like them to stamp my initials in the metal as an acknowledgement. :rolleyes:

MTPockets

Pretty sad that something like that has to be done. It should be built stable in the beginning. Makes a new trailer look very Redneck.
I agree ...... I added two sets of standoffs to mine which did stabilize it very well, but the plastic ends still break. It was good to see the new Landmark GM at least take notice. Maybe he can get this corrected on new models. Even better, offer a retrofit for others.

priorguy

LOL! My contribution to the entrepreneur who wants to make it.

On the other hand, I have an idea for Atwood that might improve the ladders at minimal if any extra cost, and allow for retrofits. But I'd like them to stamp my initials in the metal as an acknowledgement. :rolleyes:

*LIKE* we have the same initials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caissiel

I would make sure that the rear stabilizers were good and tight. My electric surely are not enough to prevent the ladder from being riped of the wall with that support.
This fits with the use of slide stabilizers or even worst.
A support attached to the trailer frame would be best. Or attached to a bumper if available,
Why are they making a trailer without a very useful bumper anyway.
I would not have a unit without a bumper.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

Nice support that should transfer the load nicely.

I don't have a ladder yet but I take it they are aluminum? I wonder what a welder would charge to weld the rungs to the rails? Then the end caps would be purely decorative.

If I had one, I would weld mine up. I was interested in the folding ladder from "Christian Co." but the Atwood might be OK with a few mods.

Either way your support looks great.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks great Dan, thanks for sharing! I'll not hyjack the thread, but at the rv show today I saw a variety of ladders. I'll post pics and my thoughts on that in another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk