Landing Gear Inspection - 2011 Big Horn 3410RE

57chevyconvt

After reading some of the post on inspection and maintenance of front landing gear assembly, I deceided that I should familiarize myself with this subject. The door side (D/S) gear assembly and post is accessable for inspection and maintenance, but not so for the off door side (O/D/S). The O/D/S is not accessability because of the the sheet metal liner in the front compartment and the sheet metal liner around the LP gas cylinders. IF am so unfortunate to shear a pin on the gear drive to the O/D/S post gear, there is no way to have access to replace this pin/bolt. I can visually see the pin/bolt but the hole in the sheet metal panel around the square tubing drive bar is such that there is no room get at this pin/bolt for replacement.

My question for you guys that have already solved this problem is, what do I do next? Any and all ideas plus picture will be helpful in processing a solution. Thanks in advance.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have electric drive landing gear? If you do it is about a 10 minute job to remove the entire leg.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

If I am right the legs on the 2011 are outside the frame, not like the 2009, that is easier for access.
There has to be a way to remove the panel if it was build for maintenance.

57chevyconvt

The legs are outside of the frame. The O/D/S leg is between the 16 ga. sheet metal panel (welded to the frame, inside the storage area) and the exterior wall. The sq. tube that drives the leg extends through a 2" diameter hole in the steel panel. The pin/bolt is about 2" beyond the sheet metal panel. I can see the pin/bolt but no possible way to put a wrench on the pin. Nor for that matter, inspect the bevel gears on top of the leg.
Jim

The legs are extended/retracted by a 12 v. motor. In order to remove the leg, I first need to remove the drive pin and then the bolts in the two clamps. I can reach the bottom bolt but need "Plastic Man" to reach the top bolt.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I will have to retract my last post. I was thinking your landing gear was inside the frame. Sorry. But on my 2011 the legs were on the outside and just bolted between a couple of brackets.
You might try and give Heartland a call and see if they have any ideas.

Peace
Dave