Landing gear service? Possible?

dougw

Hi
i was thinking of taking my cyclone in to have the slideouts adjusted. I was wondering while the trailer was in was it worth while to have the landing gear serviced, however I'm not sure if there is anything they can do. It seems like they are pretty much burried.

Anyone have any idea if they can do anything to them? If so anything besides grease? Is it worthwhile?

They are electric if it matters.

Thanks
Doug

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Doug, On our 07 Bighorn, the only issue we had seemed to be the gear reduction unit started to separate and this caused the internals to start making strange noises. I was able to tighten the bolts that surround the unit from inside the front storage compartment. This solved that problem.
I also had to come up with a means to support the motor. It was moving (it's supposed to a little) and contacting the cross shaft bolt. Picture attached.
I eventually replaced the whole electric system during a Heartland Rally in Goshen, IN a few years ago. Lippert was running a special for rally attendees. They installed the newest version of the front hydraulic landing gear. Great system and fast as well.

Attachments

• Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    Landing Gear Motor Hanger.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 32

wdk450

Venture (the electric landing gear vendor) only officially permits limited service on their landing gear "for insurance reasons" per their call center. Any disassembly beyond the top gears in the legs is not acceptable, you are supposed to buy whole new leg assemblies. They won't sell you the thrust bearing. Competing manufacturers like Domar have no such restrictions.
Actually, one you have front of the trailer properly supported on the fifth wheel hitch or the frame supported by jackstands, disassembly/removal of the landing gear can be pretty easy, if there is not a generator in the way. The legs are actually held to the trailer by U shaped strap welded to the trailer frame secured with 1 bolt across the end. There is an exploded diagram of the landing gear in the "Tools" / Manuals links at the top of this page.
Here is a direct link: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Exterior/Stabs_n_Leveling/Venture/Langing_Gear_Manual.pdf