Landing Gear sitting too low?

Fonz46

Hi All:
Today, we brought home our brand new Bighorn 3570RS, which we are thrilled with so far. When we stopped at a rest area, I walked around the rig looking everything over and noticed the landing gear pods are only about 6 inches above the ground with the pods fully retracted. We rig is a bit nose low, which I'm sure is contributing to the problem. The question I have is how far above the ground should the landing gear pods be when fully retracted and everything is sitting level? The unit is equipped with hydraulic landing gear and the 6 pint level up system.
Joe/fonz46

Garypowell

I have a 2013 with front hydraulics and my pads come all the way up to just under the frame. While I don't think they need to come all that way up I think your 6" off the ground is not enough. I think you should have more clearance for going over irregularities in the surfaces you drive over.

I think a call to the dealership and HL might be in order. I understand the basics of hydraulics but am not sure what would have your gear move so little unless the ram was too long.....or your six point is not adjusted properly.

Fonz46

Gary, would you mind measuring the distance from the bottom of the ram to the bottom of the frame on yours?
DocFather, I dont think recycling them would change anything as the jack is fully retracted and cannot go in any further.

Westwind

I have a Bighorn and use a 2 inch block under the legs when I'm set up, I also have a Trailer Saver BD3 Hitch with Air Bags, I ran into trouble last year when I stopped for two nights and unhitched, when I went to hitch up two days later I hadn't put the blocks under the legs and I couldn't raise the trailer high enough to hitch up.
Being over 65 some of the brain cells don't work like they used to and for over an hour I struggled trying to figure out the problem, but finally the light blub when on and I let air out of the bags and then I had that extra couple of inches I needed.
With these pickups getting higher and higher you are hard pressed to get enough height to clear the bed rails and still have your trailer even - I wonder if Heartland has looked at working with Lippert to modify the frames so that the trailer suspension can be adjusted to raise the trailer higher?
Of course the front leg length would have to factored into this also.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
At 6 inches, you could very easily have problems entering or exiting some places. I think the first thing to do is get to a level paved area like an open parking lot and make sure the trailer is reasonably level to the ground while hooked to the truck. You will have to adjust your hitch head height or the pin box to get it level. At that point then measure your landing gear distance. I believe your hydraulic rams on the front can be moved up if needed. They should be bolted to a good sized bracket with at least 4 bolts. This can be done while the rig is hooked to the truck.

Garypowell

Fonz46,

the he rig is too far away but my front pads come right up to the frame. I cannot see the ram....just pad when they are up. I usually run them up until I hear the motor stain then quickly release.

No one has asked but I guess you release the retract button like I do....but the pads are only 6 inches off the ground...right?

Or or is this where the six point leaves them in some "auto retract" mode? Again don't have 6 point so don't understand its ops.

Fonz46

Gary, the landing gear is fully retracted and is when I measured it being 6" from the ground. The landing gear must be different when it's part of the 6 point level up system than the landing gear without the 6 point system. The bottom of the rams are 8" below the drop frame. I looked it over again today and there are many mounting holes where the rams can easily be moved up 2 to 3 holes, which would give me 3 to 4 inches of additional clearance.
Ray, the adjustment on my B&W Companion hitch is in the highest set of holes and the Mor/Ryde pin box is the lowest set of holes, so not too sure where I can find any extra height. The rig is not very much nose low so I think Im going to go with raising the rams to gain the extra clearance.

jimtoo

I think we are going in circles here... please post pictures of your landing gear when it is retracted and also of the mounting holes if possible.

Jim M

Fonz46

Jim, I've got a picture of the landing gear, but being a newbie, I can't figure out how to attach them to a post. Can you help me out on how to do that?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I've got a picture of the landing gear, but being a newbie, I can't figure out how to attach them to a post. Can you help me out on how to do that?
Click on 'Reply', then click the 'Go Advanced' button.
There you will see a paper clip button. When you hold your cursor over it, 'Attachments' will show. Click on the paper clip.
The attachment manager will pop up.
Click 'Add Files' Then from there, find the picture that you want to upload.
Once it uploads click the 'Upload'.
You are done.
Be aware that there is a size limit on files. It will tell you what the max size can be.

Peace
Dave

Fonz46

OK, I hope Ive uploaded the picture of the landing gear showing the ram and the mounting holes. Thanks for your help Dave.
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27785&d=1387078376&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• Landing Gear.jpg
    Landing Gear.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 122

Garypowell

Well.....a picture IS worth a thousand words. You know where the ram comes out of the big black piston part with the bolt holes.....that is located up at the frame level on my rig.

No no wonder the foot is only 6" off the ground....the whole assembly is located too low!

of course mine could be located too high!!!!

i would get ahold of HL on Monday and send them the picture. The fix should be fairly simple but you'll end up with more hose than you need and they will have to either shorten it or find some place to coil it.

Some one should have spotted this before it got to you.

At at least I hope yours is wrong.....either that or mine is.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is room above the ram, it should be an easy fix.
Remove the six bolts and raise the ram assembly up.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

What jacks are these?,,, behind the wheels,, just in front of the wheels or the very front legs used to hitch and unhitch? If these are the ones behind the wheels... 6 to 8" clearance is about standard.

danemayer

I'm wondering if they've started lowering them to reduce extension of the jacks during leveling to improve stability.

MTPockets

Know to if you raise the assembly 3", that's 3" less height when fully extended. I don't have level-up, but have fully extended front legs the get level on slanted RV site.

Fonz46

As a follow up to my original post about my landing gear sitting too low, I have confirmed my suspicions and wanted to share it with all that replied as well as anyone else that may benefit from it. Today I went to a local Heartland dealer who had 5 BHs with 6 point leveling systems. All 5 of their rigs had the landing gear rams mounted flush with their mounting brackets whereas mine are mounted 3 1/2 inches below the bracket. Pictures are attached. It should be a minor fix to change mine to flush mounted but does bring up a question. Will the auto level have to be recalibrated after raising the rams and if so, what is the procedure for doing that?

Attachments

• Landing Gear2.JPG
    Landing Gear2.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Landing Gear.JPG
    Landing Gear.JPG
    565.6 KB · Views: 46