Landmark Condition After 3 Years of Full Timing

rxbristol

Three years of full timing in our Landmark and it’s held up great--I think it’s better than new due to lots of modifications and upgrades. We’ve had to make a few repairs, most of which happened in the first year. Some of the repairs caused frustration at the time, but when I look back on it, most were minor. Here is what was repaired, improved and modified on our three year journey.

Repairs:
-Shower door frame resealed due to water leakage
-Closet rods needed repositioning so doors would close with clothes hanging
-Shocks replaced with Bilsteins—OEMs were ineffective
-Wheel bearings and races replaced—two bad from factory
-Kitchen faucet replaced—OEM had extremely low pressure
-Overhead cabinet door hinges repaired—several popped out
-Awning Motors replaced under warranty—they quit working (Dometic recall)
-Heater hose for belly heat kinked—caused water lines to freeze first winter (no damage)
-Kitchen cabinet drawer repaired—bottom fell out
-Bathroom vanity mirror fell off cabinet—local glass shop fixed.
-A/C vents missing filters—Heartland did not have any—found on Ebay
-Entrance lock broke internally—Heartland sent replacement—installed RVLock
-Sink Drains needed tightening
-Desk top needed additional support—installed
-Shackles and hanger bolts—several needed additional torque
-Back flow preventer leaking—installed upgraded Watts valve
-Thetford toilet would not seal—replaced with Dometic 310
-MCD blinds—broken spring, springs lost tension—repaired (MCD reps were helpful)
-Bedroom faucet replaced—we broke the OEM handle
-High pressure propane regulator starting leaking—replaced with upgraded that has a gage
-I think I have one window that has lost its seal between the glass layers--may have to be replaced.

Improvements/Modifications/Maintenance:
-Tires and Rims upgraded to Continental 235/75R 17.5 HTL2 Eco Plus
-Shower wand hose replaced with a longer one to help in bathing dogs
-Shower head replaced with a Waterpik
-Shower wand holder screws replaced with stainless steel ones—OEMs rusting
-Flooring replaced (carpet and vinyl) with Kardeen
-King Pin replaced with FlexAir (love it)
-Water pump replaced due to excess noise from OEM
-Cooktop and oven removed and installed induction cooktop (countersunk and hardwired in); turned oven area into a cabinet
-Residential fridge installed
-Couch removed—installed counter height dining table and chairs and put up wainscot in that area
-Maxi Air vent covers installed
-Valences re-covered
-Removed Dinette and installed residential desk
-Mirror (full length) installed in sliding hall door
-Aluminum propane tanks added (a lot lighter to lift)
-Rear hitch removed—eliminated extra weight for item not used
-Water shut-off valves installed on all water lines
-Fire extinguishers added and replaced with non-toxic all class type (Fire Gone)
-All holes, slits, gaps sealed in frame area to prevent insect, rodent, and weather intrusion
-Eterna bond taped caps and edges for preventive measure
-New mattress—love it
-Pull-webbing added to bed frame storage access to ease in lifting
-Led bulbs to replace the few standard ones we had
-Kitchen island painted
-Recliners replaced with theater type seating
-Water filtration (whole-house and additional drinking water filtration down to 0.2 microns with VOC removal) and water softener (On the Go) added
-Replaced headboard
-RV Locks added to baggage doors
-Water manifold added to ease in black tank flushing and add additional water outlet (looks like a steampunk addition)
-Tool and chemical storage areas added to the battery compartment and basement areas
-Entrance handrail replaced with the Stromberg stainless steel long handle
-Entrance steps replaced with the new MorRyde flip down type
-Sewer hold tubes installed on frame (8” PVC with aluminum conduit caps and gutter trays)
-Touched up frame with rust preventive and paint
-Future mod is to rewire trailer plug wire into a proper junction box and add an aircraft style toggle switch that turns on all trailer lights like I’ve seen done on the 365 mod thread.
-General maintenance such as wash, wax, resealing, generator oil changes, anode changes, bearing repacks, brakes adjustments, torques, paint touch-ups, etc.

mlpeloquin

Almost never use the water pump. In fact twice in three years. The second time do to the back flow in the water pump going out and filling the fresh water tank this past year. I found that that the water pump was extremely noisy. Looking at the water pump while installing an external back flow valve, the connections had to be made well after the pipes were readied for installation. When they were connected to the pump, the short length pulled the pump to one direction deforming the shock mounts and cramming the body of the pump against the sub-floor. This made the sub-floor a drum effect amplifier. After I fixed this, which was not easy since the shock mounts were permanently deformed, the pump was actually fairly quiet.

Bobby A

We have been full time in our Big Horn for going on 7 years now, I have no complaints on how its holding up. Just had to replace the a/c, I'm surprised it lasted this long, as we use it quite a lot. I had to replace the awning motor at least twice that I can remember. I keep a spare on hand now.

Its been a GREAT unit and I would do it all over again, we bought our unit before these were deemed for full time use.

rxbristol

We have been full time in our Big Horn for going on 7 years now, I have no complaints on how its holding up. Just had to replace the a/c, I'm surprised it lasted this long, as we use it quite a lot. I had to replace the awning motor at least twice that I can remember. I keep a spare on hand now.

Its been a GREAT unit and I would do it all over again, we bought our unit before these were deemed for full time use.

Your success is good news.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Would love to see some pictures of your modifications. Always interested on how folks change the basic camper to make them more comfortable.

dlw930

Coming up in one year of full-timing, our Landmark is holding up as well. Rubber roof is starting to bubble at roof seams. Slide out roofs are showing some signs of wear over screws that fasten flange to roof...will probably cover with strips of eternabond. We have replaced LR TV due to OEM dying and replaced toilet due to foot pedal spring retainer breaking. Removed OEM spice racks in pantry and extended existing shelves to full depth. Added MorStor sliding tray in basement. Added SmartTile backsplashes in kitchen and bath vanity. Will be replacing shower doors and track with shower curtain in near future. Top slide seals, both D and wipers need to be replaced on all slides...will probably do while wintering in the Valley.

This is the piece we bought in Nappannee, Indiana to replace the OEM dinette, giving me an office space and a place to put the Christmas tree!
213bd56f60efda7049b3ed67c65aed9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I've been in Rex's coach and his mods are amazing and well done. Thanks for sharing your review Rex!

danemayer

• Our 2011 Landmark has been great as well. Six years into it, with 4.5 years half-timing and 1.5 years full-timing. We've put it to the test in 108 (F) degree summers and -30 (F) winters. It's been towed something approaching 50,000 miles. We just added Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes - should have done that sooner.

Some of our mods and upgrades:

• Heat tape and insulation on all water lines
  • Extra insulation above the coroplast
  • Extended 2" duct to send heat further back into the underbelly
  • Zippered trap flaps for easy access to gate valves
  • Added 2 extra coax lines to the living room entertainment center
  • Added outlet in living room next to chairs
  • Added two 20 amp dedicated outlets on their own circuit breakers
  • Put in Stressless recliners in place of original recliners
  • Added 2nd solid surface shelf in bedroom on closet side of bed
  • Added pull-pin closet door retainers
  • Added tile under mattress for easy sliding
  • Added cutoff valves for washing machine, kitchen sink, and toilet water lines
  • Upgraded kitchen sink faucet
  • Added backsplash above kitchen counter
  • Removed screws mounting dining table to allow free movement
  • Replaced non-fluorescent lights with LEDs inside and out
  • Replaced pass through storage lights with LEDs and motion sensors
  • Upgraded to residential carpet throughout
  • Replaced water pump with variable speed model
  • Added pull handle to entry door
  • Added removable plexiglas to entry door
  • Added 4-way manifold in UDC for single quick water connection
  • Added Tee to fresh tank water line to fill tank from manifold instead of gravity fill
  • Added 2nd battery
  • Upgraded to 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 tires (LR H)
  • Added 1.5" receiver hitch and bike rack
  • Added reinforcements to ladder rungs
  • Made adjustable ladder supports to prevent ladder flex
  • Put Eternabond across front and rear cap seams
  • Made air circulation inserts for sides of mattress/slide walls to prevent icing on mattress
  • Installed wiring for external cell antenna
  • Added Sun Shades to main windows
  • Installed Cheap Heat (furnace runs on either propane or electric)
  • Installed Gate Valve Heaters
  • Installed Snap Pads
  • Connected TV audio out to Sound System Input
  • Added Blue Tooth Audio Transmitter to TV Audio output
  • Added WISP router so all WiFi devices use a single connection to campground WiFi
  • Added pull-out tray on floor to hold printer and scanner
  • Added under counter motion-sensor LED lighting in several locations
  • Added MorRyde cargo tray in pass through storage
  • Added sewer hose carrier in front of axles
  • Replaced keyless entry system with RV Lock 4.0
  • Replaced Entry Door Overhead Light with Motion Sensing LED
  • Added TST TPMS Tire Sensors
  • Added external clear adapter with gate valve on each side to sewer outlet
  • Added heat tape to sewer outlet 3" pipe
  • Replaced suspension with MorRyde IS
  • Replaced electric drum brakes with electric over hydraulic disc brakes

There are probably some I've forgotten.

On edit,

• Aluminum steps

Last edited:

rxbristol

Would love to see some pictures of your modifications. Always interested on how folks change the basic camper to make them more comfortable.

I know...pictures are great. I have posted pictures of almost every major mod I've done under the appropriate subject area.

jam20ster

Glad to hear how well they are holding up. We are 6 months into full timing in our 2016 4200 Cyclone. I honestly have not noticed any wear related to full timing. I hope to have as good as results as you guys.

southernlady5464

We spent today replacing the extraordinarily impossible to clean shower doors. Most of the issue is the design. Whoever put a three track system on the bottom part of a shower never had to try and clean one. I spent three hours getting the grunge out of the tracks this last time and the amount of goop at the bot of each end pieces to “seal” it made the perfect place to harbor far more grunge impossible to clean. Trying to avoid harsh cleaners didn’t help.

So we spent the better part of today removing it, getting the silicon off (that’s a work still in progress. We tossed the shower hardware and panels. We did a simple shower rod and curtain to replace it. The amount of mold we discovered under the bottom track was horrendous.

Last edited:

RickL

I agree that the tracks are difficult to clean, but I found that foam paint brushes work well. I cut the tip off one for the bottom and sides, but use one with the sharper tip for the corners. So far they have worked well.

southernlady5464

I agree that the tracks are difficult to clean, but I found that foam paint brushes work well. I cut the tip off one for the bottom and sides, but use one with the sharper tip for the corners. So far they have worked well.
Either I got lousy foam paint brushes (got mine at HD) or mine was a bigger issue. I’ve tried those, wire brushes, toothbrushes, a friend suggested a waterpik but we didn’t have one, and I was just tired of the scuzzy look. It was covered in hard water scaling and there was mold under the sealant. In order to remove the mold, we had to remove the sealant anyway.

RickL

Either I got lousy foam paint brushes (got mine at HD) or mine was a bigger issue. I’ve tried those, wire brushes, toothbrushes, a friend suggested a waterpik but we didn’t have one, and I was just tired of the scuzzy look. It was covered in hard water scaling and there was mold under the sealant. In order to remove the mold, we had to remove the sealant anyway.
I do have a water conditioner hooked up to my rig virtually 95% of the time. That may make difference in the ability to clean the track. I’m not saying it was it a breeze cleaning with the brushes, but it wasn’t all that bad either. I find cleaning the bottom of the shower is harder then the tracks.

southernlady5464

I do have a water conditioner hooked up to my rig virtually 95% of the time. That may make difference in the ability to clean the track. I’m not saying it was it a breeze cleaning with the brushes, but it wasn’t all that bad either. I find cleaning the bottom of the shower is harder then the tracks.
We do too and a water softener but it didn’t seem to help. I can get the bottom of the shower stall clean using a Teflon scrubby and Barkeeper’s Friend.

danemayer

On the original topic, to update after another 5 years, our Landmark is in great shape and still looks great.

southernlady5464

After we removed our shower enclosure, we discovered a live outlet on that side of the vanity. With the enclosure there, it was unusable. So we recut the hole, not quite big enough to put an enclosure to keep it in place. Then we put a cover without access on it to keep water from intruding. Now it’s safe.

cbramsey

Here are pics of the outlet my DW mentioned previously. There was only a couple of inches or so between this outlet and the tri-panel shower door that was installed on our shower. You can see the GFCI outlet located on the other side of the vanity. IMG_0367.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg

danemayer

After we removed our shower enclosure, we discovered a live outlet on that side of the vanity. With the enclosure there, it was unusable. So we recut the hole, not quite big enough to put an enclosure to keep it in place. Then we put a cover without access on it to keep water from intruding. Now it’s safe.
The 2nd outlet is probably downstream from the GFCI outlet and would also be protected. Easy to check. Plug in a known good light or other appliance, turn it on, then press the TEST button on the GFCI outlet to make sure the appliance loses power.

cbramsey

The 2nd outlet is probably downstream from the GFCI outlet and would also be protected. Easy to check. Plug in a known good light or other appliance, turn it on, then press the TEST button on the GFCI outlet to make sure the appliance loses power.
Dana,

We did test the GFCI in the Bathroom and the power to the newly discovered outlet tripped as well. What I did was remove that outlet and tuck it into the vanity and installed an "Old Work" electrical outlet box and a blank outlet cover.

IMG_0371.jpg