Landmark drawer construction

JBDB

Anyone have pics or description of 2014 Landmark drawer construction for the galley etc. Are they stapled, dovetailed etc. Hope they arent stapled. We are not close to a dealer to look and one was not on display at the MPLS camping show. Thanks

Majestic

Sorry to tell you but they are stapled, we are on the maiden trip but at this time they are still tight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Staples, in and of themselves, are not bad fasteners. What's bad is when there isn't any glue applied to actually complete the joint.

wdk450

When I bought my rig they used to feature a picture of the fully extended kitchen island drawers with a cinder block in each drawer in their advertising literature.
I stocked up on the right angle interior metal drawer braces and screws, myself.

Sunset4k

In our Elkridge they were just stapled unfortunately. DH went through and glued and re stapled every drawer and they are holding tight now. Just took an afternoon! !

John T Bettencourt

On my Landmark the finish was poor. Four of the doors had to be reglued as they separated. I would not try the cinder block. They claim Armish construction. But I don`t think so.

Majestic

Bad timing on this issue, we just opened a drawer in the island and it fell apart, *** ****?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter11

I guess we have another thing to add to our list of things to check when we pick up our new Landmark next Monday. The list gets longer as I read through old post...

JanAndBill

On my Landmark the finish was poor. Four of the doors had to be reglued as they separated. I would not try the cinder block. They claim Armish construction. But I don`t think so.

It's kind of a stretch to use the term "craftsmanship" on any of the cabinets/doors/drawers in our Big Horn, but to claim "Amish" construction goes way beyond. "Amish" craftsmen don't use power tools, and since none of the cabinets in my unit bear the tool marks of hand crafted cabinets, I have to assume they were "not" crafted by "Amish". Maybe they meant to say "Mennonite" which are less restrictive about the use of modern conveniences.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave10a

The drawers in my LM are not built for travel. If you put anything of weight like pots and pans in them the bottom will fall out. I ended up bracing and gluing the bottoms so they could with stand the rigors of travel. I have noticed most RV's are constructed like mine so I think it is an industry wide issue. They build this stuff cutting as many corners as possible-- Maybe the Manufacturers should offer and up-grade option that offers to eliminate poor construction.

Majestic

It's interesting how this site is censored. I guess you either need to be a long time member or some other qualification to have your comments on a thread not deleted or modified.

An upgrade for better quality, hum, i thought that is what we are already paying for when we paid the extra money for the Landmark, at least that is the opinion I got last fall from monitoring all the positive info on HOG. As we are experiencing the only increased quality is the paint job and someone else's bank account.

As for the Amish, we talked at a factory to some after shift, they are just paid for each piece they install, the faster the greater the pay. They also explained to us that most of the sects now are exempt from the rules while at work, just their home life is not allowed to be connected to the world, so a generator, propane heat, are ok, cell phone is still difficult for their leaders. None of the ones we talked with ever talked about workmanship, etc. even some are allowed to collect social assistance if they need it. Very interesting talks, but nothing to do we the issue at hand.

Hunter11, don't mean to give you a bad feeling about your new purchase and hopefully the new GM has had some positive influence at the production level by now.

A suggestion for your delivery, use a floor creeper and go underneath, look at every item from the bottom side as well. Broken brackets, missing screws, unsecured lines, including brake lines if equipped, etc.

Good luck.

Realist

It's interesting how this site is censored. I guess you either need to be a long time member or some other qualification to have your comments on a thread not deleted or modified.
I'm kinda wondering what this has to do with drawer construction.
Maybe all we need to to is abide by the forum rules.

Realist

Majestic

Without getting further off topic, try looking at a recap of the thread.

This website in my opinion is to help prospective purchasers get a true picture, to help new owners understand how to take delivery to protect them, to assist owners in getting the most out of the unit they bought. There are days when we are not happy with the answers we are getting and therefore the questions and/or answers are blunt. Not breaking the rules just blunt.

The End

Hunter11

Hunter11, don't mean to give you a bad feeling about your new purchase and hopefully the new GM has had some positive influence at the production level by now.

I will not comment on this as I have personal reasons not to.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
It's kind of a stretch to use the term "craftsmanship" on any of the cabinets/doors/drawers in our Big Horn, but to claim "Amish" construction goes way beyond. "Amish" craftsmen don't use power tools, and since none of the cabinets in my unit bear the tool marks of hand crafted cabinets, I have to assume they were "not" crafted by "Amish". Maybe they meant to say "Mennonite" which are less restrictive about the use of modern conveniences.

Excuse me but you need to visit the "Amish country" before remarking the Amish do not use power tools. In fact they do and most definitely turn out quality products/furniture. What needs said here is that the results found within our rv 's is dependent upon the building materials used in construction not necessarily the "craftsman".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

For what it 'a worth, our Big Horn drawers have lots of staples, are very solid, and get used daily for over 2 years full timing with no problems. I wonder, do they use any part time or temporary workers in the cabinet shop?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We lived in our Bighorn, with stapled drawers for six years. The only drawer we had any issue with was the pot drawer. A few furniture tacks fixed that. Been in the Landmark a year and a half, and had to tack the bottoms on several of them too, but the rest of the drawers have held up great.

Fact is, every rig we looked at while shopping for the Landmark had stapled drawers, even the DRV. Only saw dove tailed drawers on Continental Coach...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is a big difference between production line workmanship and a cabinet maker doing custom work. I've made several cabinetry projects for our home and they don't get built in a day.

pegmikef

I carry a bunch of short screws with me and when I know the contents of a drawer is going to be somewhat heavy (heavier than say dish towels or napkins) I just add a few screws to the drawer bottoms. I also routinely add screws to the bottoms of the dining chairs under seat storage area. Have never had a problem since I noticed the first sagging drawer bottom.