Landmark - when running Gen. Should you disconnect from shore power

TheWolfes

Looking for answers. ..when running Generator, should you disconnect from shore power? I know some auto switch and I'd like to know if our 2016 LandMark 365 has that capability.

Thanks

MTPockets

It will automatically switch to generator, then back to shore power when gen is shut off.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

If the unit was ordered with the Generator Prep option, then it would have an auto switch over.

danemayer

The switching is automatic.

One thing to be aware of is that if you have appliances running, when the transfer switch changes from shore power to generator and back, there can be arcing at the contactors inside the transfer switch. Repeated arcing can cause pitting on the contacts. If you do this enough, eventually (a few years down the road) it may lead to a transfer switch failure. The same thing can happen when you connect or disconnect shore power. The higher the electrical load, the more likely to have an arc, and perhaps a bigger arc.

Although it's not essential, as a good practice, some of us have changed our connect/disconnect/generator start and stop procedure to prevent arcing inside the transfer switch. The simple way to do this is to open the circuit breaker panel and turn off the 50 amp breakers before disconnecting shore power, and leave them off until reconnected. Before firing the generator, turn off the breakers. When starting the generator, after the transfer switch fires, turn the breakers back on. Then turn the breakers off before shutting the generator down.

olcoon

Dan,
Haven't heard of that before. About the only time I disconnect the shore power is just before I hook up to leave, & everything is shut off. Should I also be fliping the 50 amp breakers before disconnecting?

danemayer

Dan,
Haven't heard of that before. About the only time I disconnect the shore power is just before I hook up to leave, & everything is shut off. Should I also be fliping the 50 amp breakers before disconnecting?

Roy,

This particular recommendation is intended to protect the contactors on the transfer switch, if you have one as part of generator prep. It's not necessary if you don't have a transfer switch.

If you have a transfer switch, I think turning off the 50 amp breakers in the coach is a good practice. The recommendation comes out of a discussion a year or two ago regarding transfer switch failures and possible causes of the failures.

And of course you should turn off the breaker at the campground pedestal before plugging or unplugging the power cord so there's no arcing on the power cord prongs.

TheWolfes

We read that we need to run our generator every month for 1 hour. Is that what everyone else does? Thus the question about shore power. Thanx

- - - Updated - - -

How do you know if you have a transfer switch?

danemayer

- -

How do you know if you have a transfer switch?
If you have a factory installed generator, you have a transfer switch for sure.

If you don't have to unplug and plug power cords to use your generator, you have a transfer switch.

The purpose of the transfer switch is to ensure that only one power source, either shore power or generator, can be applied to the coach at any one time. Also, it prevents generator power from backfeeding into the campground power system, possibly injuring someone who is working on the power system.

rxbristol

The switching is automatic.

One thing to be aware of is that if you have appliances running, when the transfer switch changes from shore power to generator and back, there can be arcing at the contactors inside the transfer switch. Repeated arcing can cause pitting on the contacts. If you do this enough, eventually (a few years down the road) it may lead to a transfer switch failure. The same thing can happen when you connect or disconnect shore power. The higher the electrical load, the more likely to have an arc, and perhaps a bigger arc.

Although it's not essential, as a good practice, some of us have changed our connect/disconnect/generator start and stop procedure to prevent arcing inside the transfer switch. The simple way to do this is to open the circuit breaker panel and turn off the 50 amp breakers before disconnecting shore power, and leave them off until reconnected. Before firing the generator, turn off the breakers. When starting the generator, after the transfer switch fires, turn the breakers back on. Then turn the breakers off before shutting the generator down.

I agree with Dan. I transferred power under load one time and it ruined the transfer relays. Now I don't use the automatic transfer...always manually with no load. It's no fun to be without power.