Larger wheels on 4100

oscar

Has anyone done it? 17"? 17.5" ?

There are many tire options in the G range on a larger wheel, but I'm not sure the room is there.

scottyb

Oscar, there are several Cyclone owners here that have gone to 17.5" wheels as well as with several other brands. I believe the OD is very close to the same as with the 16" wheels.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The thing you have be concered with is how close the tires are to each other. If you can, measure a 17.5 tires height and then what you have now. Say that a 17.5 is 1" taller....then you will add 1/2" to the diameter. You have now closed the gap between two tires by 1". Keep in mind how much the axles flex in a tight turn. I would think you would need at least a 2" gap between the tires.

oscar

Just got off the phone with the nice lady at trailer-wheels.com, and it appears there are lower height 17.5" tires available that would actually reduce the overall diameter of the assembly, whilst bringing the load per tire up to 4800#. I am seriously thinking about this.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Oscar..
I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words. I put 17.5" rims and G114 tires on my Bighorn. They replaced 16" Michelin XPS Ribs. The 17.5" is in the middle..

DSC_2924M.jpg

Glad I made the change.
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Oscar, Your wish is granted... However I like the one above it shows the difference much better.
DSC_2921M.jpg DSC_2922.jpg

That's about all I have to show the difference..

BC

porthole

Retired
Look at post # 119 in this thread

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=137659&viewfull=1#post137659

oscar

OK, thanks for all the info. It is confirmed, the factory 16" wheels with the ST235/80R16 tires is 30.8" diameter overall, the 17'5" wheels with a ST215/75R17.5 H rated tire is 30.39" i.e. SMALLER, whilst bringing the max load on the tire from 3500# @ 80psi to 4806# @ 125psi.

It may be a slightly harder ride but it would give me a MUCH larger margin of safety for uneven loading…..

Gonna have to find the money somewhere, this is becoming a no brainer.

Anyone want to buy my old wheels? Good shape, less than 4000 miles on them.

jasons09cyclone

Thanks for this info too... This will defiantly be my next upgrade the next time I get an extra 3k bucks..
Just wondering if they need to be run at 125 psi or will 90-100 psi not hurt to get somewhat of a softer ride..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for this info too... This will defiantly be my next upgrade the next time I get an extra 3k bucks..
Just wondering if they need to be run at 125 psi or will 90-100 psi not hurt to get somewhat of a softer ride..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You would need to check the tire manufacturer's inflation chart based on load. If you run them with less pressure than needed, you run the risk of damaging the tire and causing premature failure from too much heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Softer for who?

Follow the load chart for load - psi and you will get the best ride with the best wear.

I run mine at 110-115 depending on what we are carrying.

BTW, with those tires and if you have pressure monitors, it is not all that unrealistic to see 115 jump to 140 or more during extended travels at highway speeds in hot weather.

jasons09cyclone

Thank you for suggesting the tire manufacturers inflation chart.. I just thought using a forum to ask real people that have already done the research and own the tires will have a quicker and more efficient answer.... for who= no body.... for what= my 80k dollar fifth wheel..... my trailer does not weigh 28,800 the max of those tires... I only need a little over 3k per tire just like everybody else that tows a non commercial trailer.... the heat expansion is what I'm afraid of too I keep my g rated at 78 too allow for them to go 88 after a long ride.... when I'm not towing I take my f250 down to manufacturing specs of 65psi. Because they said my last set were kept to high and the seams were being streched....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Thank you for suggesting the tire manufacturers inflation chart.. I just thought using a forum to ask real people that have already done the research and own the tires will have a quicker and more efficient answer.... for who= no body....

Ahhh the problem with the internet. Not sure of how you mean this.

But, the real people here who have done the research rely on the Goodyear "load - inflation" chart. Those that care enough have had their trailer weighed to get a baseline for each wheel.

G114's are over kill anyway for a 3950. Most of us who have switched to the G-114's have 2 axle rigs.

I keep my g rated at 78 too allow for them to go 88 after a long ride....

G-rated on the trailer?

jasons09cyclone

Scratch that E rated tire... but I mainly want them when I turn the 17.5 will not flex as bad...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
They will not flex anywhere near what the normal RV tires do.
Just an FYI, the 17.5's weigh about 95 pounds each, wheel & tire.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
My 17.5's are 29" OD. Cooper RM 160 is what I am running. Same rim as posted above.

Not worried about the weight of tires, rims, and axles as it does not contribute to the weight sitting on the chassis as it is below the leaf springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD