Leak at Shower Pumbing Access Door

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to accurately and completely describe the problem.
I have a 2012 Bighorn 2985RL. It has a shower stall, not a tub. Water is running out on the floor from beneath the shower stall. I have determined that when water is sprayed around the bottom of the stall where the glass panels meet the lip of the stall no water comes out on the floor, but when water is sprayed directly above the round access door which is beneath the taps, water quickly appears on the floor. When I opened the access door I discovered that the O-ring was on the door itself and not in the groove provided for it in the flange. I put the O-ring in its groove and replaced the door, but this did not reduce the leak. I discovered that of the six screws which hold the flange to the stall, only one is tight and that the others are loose and can't be tightened. They are self tapping, were probably installed with a power driver and overtightened. This means that the flange is not as tight to the stall as it should be. In addition, when the access door is in place it is not tight to the stall, there is about a 1/16" gap all around.
I believe that water is running down the wall, going behind the access door and then between the flange and the stall wall and then on down to the floor. I propose replacing the screws with the next larger size and running a small bead of silicone behind the flange when I replace it.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? All will be welcome.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Or you could just remove all the screws that hold the flange in place and rotate it a half inch.
I would use some butyl caulk before installing.
Then use the same screws to install.

Peace
Dave